New rifle choices

He doesn’t want a traditional hunting rifle.
I didnt see that, my bad. Rokstock and stockys are coming out with a model 70 stock that may fit a lot of his preferences. Could be a cool upgrade and I might get a couple of them for my model 70s

I think a Sako would fill most of your needs. I have been shooting a Finn bear for thirty years in 7mm Rem Mag. Great for reloading and a used one would be close to your budget. I lucked out and purchased mine through a rod and gun club in Germany. Only cost 175.00. The best purchase I ever made.

Every rifle model has been trashed around here, except Tikkas. They are good rifles for the money. But all I have left of my Tikkas are the actions and triggers. Whatever I end up shooting these days is light though. Tired of dragging boat anchors around. If I wanted a 30 cal would be a 308.

Seems that springfield really shit the bed on the PRC implementation of the waypoint and isn't addressing it well but getting a 6.5 creedmoor to feed is an easier deal.

I'd be hard pressed to do a springfield over a seekins for $100 or so more.

Tikka UPR or tikka lite in rokstock/KRG bravo/KRG echo are intriguing.

I do like browning xbolts in a sporter setup, the heavier "long range" version are less appealing to me.

Midway USA has the Aero Solus on sale for a good deal I think, but I don’t know much about them. Seems to check the boxes including price.

If I were going to buy a bolt gun in that price range, I would definitely look at an Aero Precision Solus.
Reports are that it is extremely accurate.
The one I shot matched my semi-custom rifle and not once did it throw a flyer.
The machining is so accurate you can change barrels without worrying about headspace.
You can change the head of the bolt and switch calibers. Right now I'm pretty sure that covers 308 bolt face and 30TC bolt face (6.5 CM). There may be more coming.. who knows.

They have sales from time to time that are somewhat deep discounts. If they have a rifle with the feature set you like, it would be a good idea to check them out.

When I read reviews in trade magazines, I look at the accuracy stats for springfield, browning, Tikka, Brand x. Most of the time they hover around one to 1.5 moa. Maybe it's the case that gun writers can't shoot with a crap- I don't know. But I was totally unimpressed. The Solus review stopped me in my tracks when I saw that it shot basically three different kinds of factory ammunition below one moa and I think the fancy Federal stuff shot a solid 0.6 or something. THATS what a very accurate rifle looks like. Oh crap! It shot almost an inch! It really hates that.

First review I've seen on a factory rifle with factory ammunition that made me stop and look. EVER.

Last edited:
How about a Howa Super Lite in 6.5 and a Howa in the 30'06 or 308?

Savage makes several rifles in both 6.5 and 30'06. Winchester makes several as well.

I'd also look at other calibers while you are working on your new normal and possibly only having one more rifle in 30'06 and still Ruger and maybe just restocking your current 6.5. Then, upgrade your optics.

How about a Howa Super Lite in 6.5 and a Howa in the 30'06 or 308?

Savage makes several rifles in both 6.5 and 30'06. Winchester makes several as well.

I'd also look at other calibers while you are working on your new normal and possibly only having one more rifle in 30'06 and still Ruger and maybe just restocking your current 6.5. Then, upgrade your optics.
I really like the 6.8 western on paper, but dont know how I feel about it long term especially since I dont reload. I mainly use the 6.5 CM for everything I do. I was just playing with the idea of getting something a step up in size to round out my small collection and the of chance I want to hunt some bigger critters like moose. The '06 just made sense in my head cause its not going anywhere and theres plenty of quality factory ammo

I recently got a savage ultralight in 30-06 and I like it more than I thought I would. I did it for all the wrong reasons.

1. Savage is the underdog
2. Combo of 30-06 and a Proof barrel seemed like an interesting contradiction of old and new.

Can pick one up new for about 1k. I’ve got about 1500 in mine with a stock swap.

Attachments

• IMG_5362.jpeg
    IMG_5362.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 23
I only have experience with Bergara on that list, but mine is a really nice shooter. I also have a CVA (also made by Dikar alongside the B-14 line) and it's a nice one, too.

If I were looking at new rifles the Tikka T3X and Bergara B-14 would be the first ones I'd check out. I like X-bolts as well but very limited aftermarket if you like to tinker (I do).

I've had good experiences with quite a few other brands/models (Savage, not pretty but shoot well, Winchester, very nice but not lightweight, Remington, mine are fine but I have heard QC nightmares - not sure how RemArms is fairing, Weatherby Mark V and Vanguard are good but the Mark V is pricey) but not the 307 or Waypoint 2020, I don't believe I've even held either of them yet.

I would go to the Aero over the waypoint. I’ve heard a lot of mixed reviews regarding the Waypoint… enough where it was a turn off in my book. Aero has a long action coming out soon too.

I’d also add tikka to the list as a consideration as well.

Strictly off your list though, I’d go bergara.

If I were going to buy a bolt gun in that price range, I would definitely look at an Aero Precision Solus.
Reports are that it is extremely accurate.
The one I shot matched my semi-custom rifle and not once did it throw a flyer.
The machining is so accurate you can change barrels without worrying about headspace.
You can change the head of the bolt and switch calibers. Right now I'm pretty sure that covers 308 bolt face and 30TC bolt face (6.5 CM). There may be more coming.. who knows.

They have sales from time to time that are somewhat deep discounts. If they have a rifle with the feature set you like, it would be a good idea to check them out.

When I read reviews in trade magazines, I look at the accuracy stats for springfield, browning, Tikka, Brand x. Most of the time they hover around one to 1.5 moa. Maybe it's the case that gun writers can't shoot with a crap- I don't know. But I was totally unimpressed. The Solus review stopped me in my tracks when I saw that it shot basically three different kinds of factory ammunition below one moa and I think the fancy Federal stuff shot a solid 0.6 or something. THATS what a very accurate rifle looks like. Oh crap! It shot almost an inch! It really hates that.

First review I've seen on a factory rifle with factory ammunition that made me stop and look. EVER.
The solus does check a bunch of boxes except for weight. Its on the heavier end of what I want for a total package.

I recently got a savage ultralight in 30-06 and I like it more than I thought I would. I did it for all the wrong reasons.

2. Combo of 30-06 and a Proof barrel seemed like an interesting contradiction of old and new.

Can pick one up new for about 1k. I’ve got about 1500 in mine with a stock swap.
I have a savage axis that I bought to get into bolt actions cause it was cheap and it shot good. harvested a few animals with it. So Im not against them. I considered getting a 110 action and putting it in a different stock

What stock is that? I'm looking to swap out mine here shortly, also a long action. Thanks!

Back