New Sight, New Bow setup

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new bow setup since I sold my bow a week ago. Yeah kind of dumb right in the middle of season... Anyways, I am thinking of moving over to the slider sights, specifically the Montana Black Gold Accent 4 pin Slider set at 20, 30, 40, and 50. I am going to order a custom sight so I will be choosing the pin sizes and colors. In doing so it labels the pins as 1, 2 , 3 etc. Does anyone know where this starts? Is the bottom pin the number 1 pine? I am looking to make that pin larger than the others so I can differentiate which pin is my floater.

Ceby7

Lil-Rokslider
Not for certain, but I believe #1 refers to the top pin and so on, #4 would be bottom. At least that's what I remember when I ordered mine.

Scot E

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 3 pin ascent. Love it. I ordered the top 2 pins .19 and the bottom .10 as it is what I use for all longer distances. Wouldn't change anything. It works perfectly. Plenty of brightness for well past shooting light.

I would suggest going just 3 pins. You are spending money on a slider sight, a lot of money, so just get three pins and use the slider. It will eliminate clutter. I also went all green on my pins because they light up the best and there are no issues keeping 3 pins straight in my head.

A suggestion. You need to develop a new shooting routine that incorporates you checking to make sure your dial is set correctly each time before you shoot. If you don't it will cost you. Yes, I am speaking from experience. I do a lot of stump shooting when hunting to stay in the groove and I left my dial at 85 yards and shot a bull for 45. Do that and always move it back at the end of a session and you will be fine. Glad I switched to a slider and specifically the MBG ascent.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
What do you sight in your pins for when you use just three pins. I was thinking that I could use going out to 50 because I wasn't sure I would have the chance to change my sight fast enough.

Scot E

Lil-Rokslider
They were when I bought mine. There custom page is nice and he is a great guy, very helpful if you need it.

I just bought the MBG 3 pin ascent about a month ago and really like it so far. S and S was the cheapest that I could find when I bought mine and Steve is really helpful if you have any questions.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Thanks everyone. I am leaving for a backcountry deer hunt tonight but am hoping to order it on Sunday when I get back. I know I have heard one thought on the four pin versus the three pin but what are other opinions. I watched the youtube video of Steve the MBG accent. I noticed he uses a five pin slider. What are your thoughts on this?

Scot E

Lil-Rokslider
I know you've already heard from me. :)

I have used fixed 5 pin and 7 pin sights on my bows and really liked them too. I still have the 7 pin on my backup bow. So you can't really go wrong. I just really like the open, uncluttered view and since you have the slider you don't need to clutter things up to shoot to the distance you want.

Bottom line is you can't go wrong and just go with what you think you want. You can always change it out, add one, take one off, etc.

Scot

Last edited:
OP
WyoBowhunter21
I know you've already heard from me. :)

I have used fixed 5 pin and 7 pin bows on my sight and really liked them too. I still have the 7 pin on my backup bow. So you can't really go wrong. I just really like the open, uncluttered view and since you have the slider you don't need to clutter things up to shoot to the distance you want.

Bottom line is you can't go wrong and just go with what you think you want. You can always change it out, add one, take one off, etc.

Scot

I actually didn't know that I could take it out. I had a seven pin but I never liked the clutter of that many pins.

kyburley

FNG
I just received my MBG custom 5 pin ascent. Love it. #1 is your top pin btw. I ordered my first 4 .19 and the slider pin .10. First time having a .10 pin and its great. The next one will have several at that diameter.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
I just received my MBG custom 5 pin ascent. Love it. #1 is your top pin btw. I ordered my first 4 .19 and the slider pin .10. First time having a .10 pin and its great. The next one will have several at that diameter.

Perfect. Thanks! That helps answer my question about pins. Why did you go with the five pin?

rodney482

WKR
I have both a 4 pin ascent with vegence head.. And a Pure 75 4 pin. Love them both

But the Pure is better built, no pin rattle and is lighter.

Scot E

Lil-Rokslider
I have no rattling on my ascent FWIW. Personally never had a MBG make a sound. I haven't owned a vengeance head though.

kyburley

FNG
Perfect. Thanks! That helps answer my question about pins. Why did you go with the five pin?
I went with the 5 pin because that's what I know. Personally, I just do not like the idea of missing with sliding your sights that often. Always been afraid id get caught off guard with a 3 pin and especially a single pin slider. I can handle out past 60 as that's going to have to be a perfect condition shot anyways which means I'll have time to slide it down.

Used to have the Ascent 5 pin slider, went to the Pure Driven 75 single pin. Really liking this single pin sight a lot, although there was nothing wrong with the 5 pin slider either. All had .010 pins and used the standard green yellow red etc pin coloration.

Green pin now on the Driven 75. Definitely should not hear any buzz or slop, if so just make sure you tighten down your gang adjustments and should be golden