New TBAC SHOT Releases

Looks like TBAC is rolling out a fair number of new suppressors that will be drastic changes for a lot of the current precision rifle suppressor market.

1. A 50 cal can that makes a .50 BMG 135db at shooters' ear, though not relevant to any of us.
2. Shorter versions of the Magnus (5.5" and 7")
3. Offering all the new cans in .338 and .375 options if you want to suppress large magnums
4. Reduced recoil suppressors that incorporate a brake element on the end. Supposedly reduce the recoil of a 300WM by 60-65%. I can only imagine these ones are more geared towards people who want to use suppressors (while still wearing earpro) in precision rifle competitions since it doesn't suppress quite as well in exchange for all that extra recoil reduction.

Edit:

I was actually just unimaginative about the reduced recoil suppressors. Especially in a hunting situation where you're only taking 1-3 shots they actually might be the best way to go due to their massive recoil reduction (as long as their shooters' ear is 135db or below I'd say). At some point more suppression sounds cool but isn't actually functionally better if both suppression levels aren't damaging your hearing.

If their numbers are roughly accurate you can get hearing-safe suppression levels (again, for hunting situations) while also having the recoil reduction of some of the most aggressive brakes on the market which is way better for spotting impacts. Everyone always says suppressors don't have nearly the recoil reduction of brakes so there's a tradeoff, well now there isn't one anymore. That's actually pretty big now that I think about it.

Linked here is their sound testing on all of their existing suppressors using the same standardized testing that was used for the 2023 Silencer Summit.

Zak Smith linked this chart elsewhere as well. It shows the recoil and decibel reduction for a 300WM using all of their cans. Takes a minute to sort out what you're looking at but once you do, it's informative. I can't say I'd be using an RR on a magnum just due to insufficient sound reduction.

rr_vs_db.png

Last edited:
That 50 cal can, 22.5", 73.5 oz, 2.43" diameter and $5.5k holy eff!

The magnus S on paper doesn't look that appealing compared to an U7 when it comes to price/weight for a couple db in sound reduction.

The RR versions sound nice for a gamer gun. Makes me wonder how different they'd be than a scythe with an omega anchor brake on the end?

Last edited:
OP
J
The RR versions sound nice for a gamer gun. Makes me wonder how different they'd be than a scythe with an omega anchor brake on the end?
I don't think I was imaginative enough when I first read about them. They may actually be the best thing to use for hunting too as long as your cartridge is below like 135 db at shooters' ear with them. At some point 130 db vs 120 db sounds cool but both are hearing safe for a few shots. If the 130 db also doubles your recoil reduction and makes it reduce recoil like a very effective muzzle brake, that's probably better for spotting shots and as a result better for hunting.

As far as how it'd be different from a Scythe my guess is better suppression since it's using the Magnus internals and just all-around better machining for precision stuff just based on the reputations of the companies.

Lawnboi

WKR
I see a Magnus S RR in my future, likely with an SR brake for dedicated match use.

For hunting nothing they are coming out with really gets me going. Still don’t regret owning 2 ultra 7s

fwafwow

WKR

Looks like TBAC is rolling out a fair number of new suppressors that will be drastic changes for a lot of the current precision rifle suppressor market.

1. A 50 cal can that makes a .50 BMG 135db at shooters' ear
2. Shorter versions of the Magnus (5.5" and 7")
3. Offering all the new cans in .338 and .375 options if you want to suppress large magnums
4. Reduced recoil suppressors that incorporate a brake element on the end. Supposedly reduce the recoil of a 300WM by 60-65%. I can only imagine these ones are more geared towards people who want to use suppressors (while still wearing earpro) in precision rifle competitions since it doesn't suppress quite as well in exchange for all that extra recoil reduction.

Edit: I was actually just unimaginative about the reduced recoil suppressors. Especially in a hunting situation where you're only taking 1-3 shots they actually might be the best way to go due to their massive recoil reduction (as long as their shooters' ear is 135db or below I'd say). At some point more suppression sounds cool but isn't actually functionally better if both suppression levels aren't damaging your hearing.

If their numbers are roughly accurate you can get hearing-safe suppression levels (again, for hunting situations) while also having the recoil reduction of some of the most aggressive brakes on the market which is way better for spotting impacts. Everyone always says suppressors don't have nearly the recoil reduction of brakes so there's a tradeoff, well now there isn't one anymore. That's actually pretty big now that I think about it.

Zak Smith linked this chart elsewhere. It shows the recoil and decibel reduction for a 300WM using all of their cans. Takes a minute to sort out what you're looking at but once you do, it's informative. I can't say I'd be using an RR on a magnum just due to insufficient sound reduction.

rr_vs_db.png
Thanks for the thread and posting the link and graph. I think you posted a heads-up around Black Friday about shorter Magnus options coming out, but I’m still glad I got the full length Magnus. If I was going to use heavier recoil cartridges, I would definitely consider some of the new models with the brakes.

B23

WKR
The magnus S on paper doesn't look that appealing compared to an U7 when it comes to price/weight for a couple db in sound reduction.
I'm a little disappointed myself and was hoping/expecting the medium length Magnus to be better with regard to suppression. I really like the size of the Magnus S just was hoping for something a bit more quiet but maybe my expectations were a little to optimistic and it is a sub 7in can.

mms2

FNG
im just glad they added the 338 option on the magnus-s, would make a great 33 nosler suppressor.

OP
J
I updated the OP with the link to their sound testing on all (I believe) of their new and existing suppressors using the same standards as were used in the 2023 Silencer Summit that they held.

mms2

FNG
as the owner of a gen 1 ultra 5 and a gen 2 ultra 7 and 9. I still like the looks of the gen 1 better with out the step down at the mount... im sure it saved weight or something but the gen 1 is so much cleaner looking... will still get a version of the magnus though

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
IMO this misses the hunting market completely. Sounds like an answer without a problem. Not a fan and hoping they don’t end up like HERX. If they discontinued the CB Dominus I am bent. I’ve been on a waiting list for 4 months with my dealer for one.

OP
J
IMO this misses the hunting market completely
The shorter length Magnus suppressors and the .338 / .375 caliber options are probably the most hunting-relevant parts. The reduced recoil stuff in my opinion is mostly for the guys who want to use their suppressors in competitions but don't because it doesn't reduce the same recoil as a brake.

mms2

FNG
The shorter length Magnus suppressors and the .338 / .375 caliber options are probably the most hunting-relevant parts. The reduced recoil stuff in my opinion is mostly for the guys who want to use their suppressors in competitions but don't because it doesn't reduce the same recoil as a brake.
100% agree this hits the hunting market for large bores with the new smaller length magnus, they already dominated the 30 cal and below market not sure what else you would want there that the ultra series doesnt have.

Sadler

WKR
Maybe a dumb question here but looking at that chart it shows almost all the magnus suppressors hovering around 140db’s on a 10.5” 556. Anyone know why that is? Typo maybe? I figured the longer the can, the quieter it would be but that data doesn’t reflect that.

Another question, again, might be dumb. To maximize the effectiveness of your suppressor (let’s go with the magnus), is there a sweet spot in speed you should try to be at? I know (I think I know) if something is going 3500FPS it’ll be louder than something going 2000FPS but for a hunting gun what would the sweet spot be? Or are there just too many variables to even know given cartridge, caliber, barrel length and speed differences?

Tahoe1305

WKR
Maybe a dumb question here but looking at that chart it shows almost all the magnus suppressors hovering around 140db’s on a 10.5” 556. Anyone know why that is? Typo maybe? I figured the longer the can, the quieter it would be but that data doesn’t reflect that.

Another question, again, might be dumb. To maximize the effectiveness of your suppressor (let’s go with the magnus), is there a sweet spot in speed you should try to be at? I know (I think I know) if something is going 3500FPS it’ll be louder than something going 2000FPS but for a hunting gun what would the sweet spot be? Or are there just too many variables to even know given cartridge, caliber, barrel length and speed differences?
Yeah numbers look a bit high for the volume.

In general the less muzzle blast the quieter. So slower for a given cartridge “should” almost always be quieter. Just less gasses to harness. Some have baffles that do better with slower speed rounds, but in my experience the same holds true….slower is better. In reality the difference you notice at the ear between a 3000fps and a 2800 is negligible. But I’m guessing 3500 and 2800 would be noticeable.

Lawnboi

WKR

Re the 556 if you read what the ** mean it’s not SE numbers to avoid port pop.

Re the speed thing, more about amount of powder you burn. More powder=more boom. Velocity alone really dosnt do anything, good example of this is a 223 bolt gun shooting 55g at 3k plus compared to a heavy 77. Barrel length, bore size and amount of powder making the bang play a large role in the noise you’re going to hear. The rifle is likely creating similar chamber pressures

Combine that with the sonic crack noise at the shooter being very dependent on conditions and surroundings and it’s no wonder people hear different things when comparing suppressors.

wesfromky

WKR
You get port pop and back pressure on AR/semi rifles that is a non issue for bolt guns. So, on some platforms, shorter cans can be quieter, esp at the shooters ear.

Magnus-S-RR-SR-338 has my interest.

Comparing it to the Magnus-S-SR-338 when shooting 300wm it is 9dBA louder but provides 51% increase in recoil reduction. That's pretty substantial.