New to archery. My first arrow build for hunting.

Jarad440

FNG
Hello,

Bought my first compound bow back in March. It is a Mathews VXR 31.5 28.5” draw length with 65 lb mods. Draw weight is roughly 64 lb at peak. Purchased 125 grain black hornets on sale. Looking for a recommendation on an arrow shaft 340 or 300??

Bc45

Lil-Rokslider
Right now it’s really hard to beat victory arrows. Wether you want a 4 mill or 5 mill they are both good. What type of hunting will you be doing? I run the rip tko and have no complaints with them at all

Creed28

FNG
I’m having good luck with method arrows(HMR) Pretty simple! I type in bow, poundage, draw length, and broad head weight, I have 4 fletch and 3 fletch, they fly the same! I shoot vxr 28, 70lbs, 28.5” draw, 125 and 100 grain exodus broadheads.

Keep it simple...standard diameter (.245"/6.5mm) 300 spine shaft around 9 gpi cut about 27.5" carbon-to-carbon with a 125 gr head, 50-ish gr insert, 3 Blazers, and an unlighted nock. That will give you a strong, affordable arrow and a good compromise between weight and speed. qSpine/OT2Go says that arrow will be slightly stiff of "optimal" out of your bow.
Screenshot_20230621_212015.jpg

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a pretty similar setup t you. I'm shooting a v3x at 70lbs, with Easton axis 5mm 300gr and 125 up front, standard inserts. Bare shafts were flying like darts after the first tuning session

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
To select arrow spine, follow the manufacturers' chart. Note: the chart usually assumes 100 grain point. You are shooting 125 so you need to bump up to the next stiffness.

If you want to get the most out of a hunting arrow in terms of penetration, take your time at the shop and measure the FOC before gluing the inserts. You may find out you want a heavier insert, which will in turn demand a stiffer spine.

Here's what you need to know about FOC:

Determining F.O.C.: Balance the arrow on your finger and mark the center of gravity. Be sure to have your broadhead on the arrow. Then mark the exact center of the total length of arrow, from razor tip to nock valley.
Distance btw. these two marks / by total length = % FOC
FOC should be 7-15%
(15% is considered ideal, FOC>15% requires very heavy arrows, which can be a good thing if you're elk hunting)

I'm a big fan of black eagle arrows. They have a lot of good options and different outserts or whatever you're looking for. Like others said, I would go through software or manufacture recommendations for the spine. You should be good with 300 for sure. I wouldn't go too crazy with FOC or only worry about speed, somewhere right in the middle is the sweet spot to me

Second the Victory recommendation. I’ve tried a lot of different arrows, and it’s tough to beat the Victory lineup.

Victory Vforce or VF TKO (my favorite) Gamers would be perfect. 300 spine, stock 22 grain insert. They are tough and fly well. I shot two deer with the same VF TKO arrow last year and it's back in the quiver again this year.

Black Hornets are a great choice.

Keep it simple...standard diameter (.245"/6.5mm) 300 spine shaft around 9 gpi cut about 27.5" carbon-to-carbon with a 125 gr head, 50-ish gr insert, 3 Blazers, and an unlighted nock. That will give you a strong, affordable arrow and a good compromise between weight and speed. qSpine/OT2Go says that arrow will be slightly stiff of "optimal" out of your bow.
View attachment 567755
Good advice. Might be able to get away with a 340 spine, but I always err heavier anyway. No need to blow a ton of money on hunting arrows especially for a newer hunter. You should limit your shots to a reasonable range and you won't have any issues with this setup at all.

im shooting a victory rip . they are pretty durable and affordable. .204 inner diameter arrow. they come with a decently heavy insert at 60 insert. i shoot a 300 spine 28.5 in arrow. 200 grain broadhead. you may be able to get away with a 340 spine arrow if you are cutting less than 28 inches...

I'm a huge fan of gold tips. I've shot the pro hunters and last few years been shooting 340 kinetic Kaos with 100gr tips and I'm shooting right around 61 lbs 28" draw

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I'm a huge fan of gold tips. I've shot the pro hunters and last few years been shooting 340 kinetic Kaos with 100gr tips and I'm shooting right around 61 lbs 28" draw

Might add also I'm shooting the exact same bow

Lowg08

WKR
I’ve bought a few different singles and different components and tried many different combos. Thanks to blue glue. I just played around til I was happy with a combo all around. From flight to sound.