New to night hunting

satchamo

WKR
So I’ve fought and fought it but I think I’m going to try thermal. Having never done it, I’d rather not dump 3k into a thermal scope before I know I’ll even like it.

My question is for you experienced guys, would a guy be better off investing in a thermal scanner then saving some dough and running night vision on the gun? Seems like I could get setup with this under 2k looking at the sight mark wrath paired with an AGM taipan for a scanner?

My other thought was to just dump the money into a pulsar xm30 and just scan with my gun.

On a limited budget - what would you do?

I went the thermal on the gun route first. It sucks. After the first night I ordered a scanner the next day.

If starting out again I would buy a decent scanner first, and use a weapon mounted light. That rifle could easily be used for day and night that way saving a little money.

The scanner and NV would work well together. You should be able to shoot out to 200+ yards with the NV and your thermal scanner would help you see critters a long ways out there.

The cons of NV for me - when you shoot your view is obstructed (scope whites out) and the ones I have used you also have to focus for different distances (can make it tricky to pick up animals in a hurry). You can scan with them, but it's no where close to scanning with a thermal.

You can buy a thermal and scan with it on your gun, just remember probably not a good idea to be waiving a loaded gun around in the dark. If you do this, you will want a collapsible stock or folding stock, so its easier to scan around.

CTXhunter

Lil-Rokslider
The problem with nightvision and thermal is that there is a threshold of money that you have to spend for it to be actually usable. What I’m getting at is you say “I don’t want to spend 3k and not like it” and I would reply “if you don’t spend 2-3k, you won’t like it”

In nightvision/thermal you have to pay to play, that’s just how it is. If you’re only going to make a single purchase and budget is a large concern, something like the AGM rattlers and the Hogsters seem to be super popular and they look more than functional for 100-200 yard shooting. If you’re only NOD is going to be weapon mounted, a tripod will greatly help with scanning. Holding a rifle up to your eye starts to suck after a few scans. Tripod doesn’t have to be super light, just something with a “hog saddle” type of clamp on the top will work great.

The main thing that’s positive about a thermal scope is you can shoot and scan with one device. You don’t need a laser or IR illum device like you typically do with helmet mounted night vision. The negative is that it’s heavy to scan with and if you’re hunting with other people you will have to be careful to not flag your buddies with your “scanning” scope lol. The main things you’ll need to figure out is your purpose for the device. If you’re shooting yotes at 200 you’ll need to spend a little more and may want a better base magnification. If you’re shooting hogs at 100 yards and closer, you can get away a little cheaper with a lower base magnification.

I would say for strictly hunting, nightvision leaves things to be desired over thermal. First off, the absolute minimum night vision device that I could recommend is a Gen 3 PVS-14 with something like and Omni 7 or 8 contract tube that you might be able to get in for around 2-3k plus a cheap bump helmet to mount it on. The main benefit to this is that it’s like wearing a hat that you can just walk around and look around with worrying about flagging your buddies. It’s much easier to navigate terrain with a helmet mounted NV than any kind of thermal wether handheld or helmet mounted. Other cheaper/older generation night vision requires a metric ass ton of IR illum to work properly and have proven to be gimmicky. When people look through Gen 3 night vision they are blown away. In summary, night vision is best suited for general navigation and movement, thermal is great for scanning (handheld or weapon mounted), identification, and shooting critters.

This is long winded, and I don’t meant to speak in absolutes, I have just wasted a lot of money on stuff that doesn’t work. Best thing to do is figure out exactly what you need, and then call a thermal/nightvision company and ask them if they have something that works well for your needs. I really like Outdoor Legacy Gear here in Texas, they can help you find something in your budget. Though I will say I have purchased my nightvision devices from Steele Ind and they have done me well, but they’re more tactical centered where as outdoor legacy gear is more hunting focused. Feel free to shoot me a PM as well.

The dream setup for us down here in Texas is a helmet mounted Gen 3 night vision device, a weapon mounted IR pointer/illum device, and a weapon mounted thermal and a tripod.

The photo attached is a clear night with a Gen 3 white phosphor elbit tube ($3k)with above average specifications. The beam is a full power laser unit ($1.5-2k) used for shooting and illumination in dark spots. FE840410-EC15-47F5-BA09-0CE9042E665D.jpeg

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I’ve used thermal and NVG’s for many years doing the Lords work and although it has its place, predator hunting is not one of them for me.
I’ve been very successful using a head mounted scan light (red) and a gun mounted kill light also red. Eyes glow hundreds of yards away, and target ID also past 200 yards with kill light.

Not sure if your new to predator hunting at night, but for the money you can’t go wrong with Night Eyes equipment. PA hunter designed and owns the company-and he’s one hell of a predator hunter.

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
I’ve used thermal and NVG’s for many years doing the Lords work and although it has its place, predator hunting is not one of them for me.
I’ve been very successful using a head mounted scan light (red) and a gun mounted kill light also red. Eyes glow hundreds of yards away, and target ID also past 200 yards with kill light.

Not sure if your new to predator hunting at night, but for the money you can’t go wrong with Night Eyes equipment. PA hunter designed and owns the company-and he’s one hell of a predator hunter.

Man - I have nighteyes and i just couldnt get past the frustration of the tunnel vision. The scanner light seemed so weak I didn't know how I could see anything where as the gun light was crazy strong. I've been coyote hunting over a decade in the daylight and have killed a fair amount so I guess maybe I'm just too used to day hunting. The first night I tried it, I went home out of frustration. Any grass, sticks, branches, completely soak up the light and you can't see much. I hunt a mix of cover here in IL/IN. Some places I can stretch out, but alot of places I can't. But thats probably the day hunter in me - I like being tight to cover.

Maybe I just need to try again, but it left alot to be desired for me haha.

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
I went the thermal on the gun route first. It sucks. After the first night I ordered a scanner the next day.

If starting out again I would buy a decent scanner first, and use a weapon mounted light. That rifle could easily be used for day and night that way saving a little money.
I actually have a night eyes light already thats stupid strong so this actually isn't a bad idea. The biggest drawback to lights for me has been the inability to scan well with ANY obstruction IE grass, branches, sticks, trees, etc.

I personally haven't used a thermal scanner and a weapon mounted light. I would try it though. A friend borrowed one of my extra thermals and he killed dogs doing it.

I agree with a poster above. Cheap thermal isn't fun to use.

You could get something like a Hogster 25/35. Eventually you could weapon mount it or get a different scope and still use it as a scanner. That would also give you the option to try scanning with a weapon mounted thermal without the scanner. It sucks doing that imo.

Bering and AGM both seem to be good brands for lower cost thermals. I like Bering better since they have a 4 year warranty instead of 3 like AGM.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Man - I have nighteyes and i just couldnt get past the frustration of the tunnel vision. The scanner light seemed so weak I didn't know how I could see anything where as the gun light was crazy strong. I've been coyote hunting over a decade in the daylight and have killed a fair amount so I guess maybe I'm just too used to day hunting. The first night I tried it, I went home out of frustration. Any grass, sticks, branches, completely soak up the light and you can't see much. I hunt a mix of cover here in IL/IN. Some places I can stretch out, but alot of places I can't. But thats probably the day hunter in me - I like being tight to cover.

Maybe I just need to try again, but it left alot to be desired for me haha.

So here are a few thoughts on the scanner-and don't take any offense, you may know this already and have tried it. Just trying to be helpful.

The scanner has several brightness settings, I leave mine set for max HIGH 1st press, max LOW 2nd press-which covers most ambient light conditions. There are several more in between you can program.

As far as ambient light and night hunting predators, any ambient light is not your friend. ANY moon light will give you away. I, as well as several successful buddies won't even go out unless its complete dark.

It sounds like your hunting thick woods and not field edges/openings. The light will bounce back and distort-have you tried getting elevated? Tree stand, hill/knob?

I only hunt open fields/meadows at night-because that's where the predators come to feed on rabbits and field mice.

The BEST piece of advice I can give you, is call Joe at Night Eyes. He will talk hunting with you for as long as you want to. I've had 45 minute conversations that are essentially one on one hunting seminars. The guy knows his stuff!

Anyhow, good luck with it, and don't feel you have to drop thousands on equipment to knock down fur!

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
So here are a few thoughts on the scanner-and don't take any offense, you may know this already and have tried it. Just trying to be helpful.

The scanner has several brightness settings, I leave mine set for max HIGH 1st press, max LOW 2nd press-which covers most ambient light conditions. There are several more in between you can program.

As far as ambient light and night hunting predators, any ambient light is not your friend. ANY moon light will give you away. I, as well as several successful buddies won't even go out unless its complete dark.

It sounds like your hunting thick woods and not field edges/openings. The light will bounce back and distort-have you tried getting elevated? Tree stand, hill/knob?

I only hunt open fields/meadows at night-because that's where the predators come to feed on rabbits and field mice.

The BEST piece of advice I can give you, is call Joe at Night Eyes. He will talk hunting with you for as long as you want to. I've had 45 minute conversations that are essentially one on one hunting seminars. The guy knows his stuff!

Anyhow, good luck with it, and don't feel you have to drop thousands on equipment to knock down fur!

You caught me on the ambient light. There was snow and the moon was out….

I need to try it again. I think investing in a tripod and a hog saddle will help me. I have plenty of places I can go and see well. Just need to make sure I’m setting up and obviously waiting for darker conditions.

Call Jason or Hans @ https://outdoorlegacygear.com/
and do NOT buy a pulsar XM30, there are a lot better options available for the money. Most guys that get into the thermal game research scopes till they turn blue in the face and spend their entire budget on scope and they end up buying a cheaper scanner which is completely backwards IMO. You will be looking through your scanner 95% of the time and scope 5%. Buy the absolute best scanner you can afford and you can get by with a cheaper scope if you're on a tight budget.

I personally haven't used a thermal scanner and a weapon mounted light. I would try it though. A friend borrowed one of my extra thermals and he killed dogs doing it.
I would not suggest using a thermal scanner and lights, it doesn't work that well.

I have used lights, thermal + lights, thermal + night vision, just a thermal scope and thermal + thermal. I would suggest a thermal scope for the cheapest route, add NV for the next step. Personally I will stick with thermals, just wish I had the funds for a nicer scope with LFR.

Don't skimp on your tripod either.