New to Wasilla/Palmer area

I know this is a long shot but my family and I just moved to the Wasilla/Palmer area. I’m in the Army and just PCS’d to JBER. Is there anyone who would be willing to meet and have a beer or something and talk hunting. I don’t want your spot, unless your willing to give it up then I won’t tell you no 😂, but trying to figure out the logistics and the general ins and outs of hunting up here. I stopped by fish and game today and grabbed all the literature I could to do my own reading and research but would really like to talk to someone who is experienced with AK. I’m sure no one wants to add another guy on their trips but if you wanted help packing something out or any other way I could help I would be more than willing to help any way I could.
I basically have an archery shop setup so I would be glad to help set up your bows or arrows or let you use my stuff.
I’ve lived in CO the last 6 years and did a lot of hunting and backpacking above tree line, and went through the army’s basic mountaineering course so I’m not a complete slouch or newby.

Try not to bash me too hard, I know it’s a long shot and no one wants to give away their secrets but like I said I am more than willing to give back for your time any way I can. You can pm me or answer on here if you would be willing to discuss anything.

Thank you,
Dustin Bratton

OP
dbratton14
How long do you plan to be up here in the Great Land?
It’s a minimum 36 month assignment, but I am going to do everything I can do stay as long as possible. I’ve spent 10 years of my career trying to get up here. I plan to change my permanent residency to AK so even if I do have to transfer to another duty station for a period of time I plan to return and make AK my permanent home upon retirement.

Welcome!
If you are interested in sheep hunting, join Alaska Wild Sheep Foundation, they’re good people to chat with.
You can small game hunt on base (register your shotgun and make sure you follow your firearm storage requirements if you live on base). There are a few ponds you can hunt ducks.
If you have a bird dog already, there are several bird dog clubs in the area you can join. Pointing, flushing, versatile.
Maybe be more specific on what you want to hunt?

OP
dbratton14
Welcome!
If you are interested in sheep hunting, join Alaska Wild Sheep Foundation, they’re good people to chat with.
You can small game hunt on base (register your shotgun and make sure you follow your firearm storage requirements if you live on base). There are a few ponds you can hunt ducks.
If you have a bird dog already, there are several bird dog clubs in the area you can join. Pointing, flushing, versatile.
Maybe be more specific on what you want to hunt?
Thank you for the information. I predominantly hunt big game with a few small game trips here and there to stave off cabin fever.

Sheep, goat, and moose are the main focus but black and brown bear, caribou, and Sitka black tail are all species of interest.

Im really just trying to figure out the logistics of things up here. Im used to CO where I could hike into damn near the entire state and back out if stuff went sideways. Where as up here I don’t believe that’s the case. So I’m trying to figure out what equipment and methods I need to get into and out of hunting areas. Im sure there are plenty of places I can hike into but assume those places get hammered incredibly hard. Especially around the greater Anchorage area.

Most species you are leaving the greater Anchorage area.
The further out you go, the better off you are.
JBER has a good recreational program for some gear rental, including trailers, ATVs, boats.

Caribou are going to be difficult this year, lots of closures. What little public area open is going to be crowded. Personally, I’d take caribou off your list for a while unless you’re into combat hunting.

Join the Alaska Outdoor Site. A little closer to home, lots of old locals.
Old guys have bad backs and knees, but lots of knowledge.

The rest of it…just do what you are doing, which is make friends, play the military card, offer to be a grunt, and provide beer.
Lots of beer.

The Alaska Outdoors site is terrible.

Most every specie in Alaska can be hunted with a pickup, pair of boots and some determination. Do some research, look at a few maps with the unit regulations and just go check it out. It's not rocket science, no matter how difficult most seem to make it. I think you'll be presently surprised by how few people you'll see if you go where ATV's cannot.

OP
dbratton14

Most every specie in Alaska can be hunted with a pickup, pair of boots and some determination. Do some research, look at a few maps with the unit regulations and just go check it out. It's not rocket science, no matter how difficult most seem to make it. I think you'll be presently surprised by how few people you'll see if you go where ATV's cannot.
I’ve got no problem burning some boot leather. I figure I’ve got a year before I can hunt sheep and goat so ima gonna spend that time just getting out backpacking and scouting and checking out what areas I can access either from a road or eventually from atv trails once I get one. I just don’t know how much pressure to expect. Right now I’m expecting that anywhere I can get to there are plenty of others that have the same idea and the same amount of determination so pressure will be high. I’m not opposed to chartering a flight into more inaccessible places but honestly have no idea how much flights cost.
Once we close on a house and I get my rifles and hunting equipment delivered I’m hoping to at least get out an explore with a moose and black bear harvest ticket in my pocket this year to at least start learning areas.

I do have a question about what specialized equipment should I start investing in that someone from the lower 48 wouldn’t necessarily have. Things like waders (currently looking at the simms g3 guide stuff). Packrafts or nrs style rafts things like that. Also I currently use a kifaru frame and pack and I know they are damn good packs and have served me well but is something like a Barney’s needed or am I overthinking it?

amateurhourhunter

Lil-Rokslider
By Force and Valor!

And cue the Cav Scout jokes 😂
Least you’re not a LEG scout. Good luck man. JBER is a great duty station and AK is best state I’ve ever lived in. Crows pass trail is good local area for black bear. Idk how the bou is now but I have a fly in next AUG when I retire. Put in for the JBER moose hunt every year. Good grouse hunting behind MMDZ.

amateurhourhunter

Lil-Rokslider

I second that. Post are very old and unreliable. Just like nick said get your boots and binos is the best place to start. Literally can throw a dart on map of AK and gonna have game. Even if not there is always beautiful scenery.

There’s still some local people on Alaska Outdoor site willing to share. And it’s free to join, so no harm. I’ve learned some great things from them over the years, and from the Rok.
Take it for what it is. Glean from several different sources so you don’t get tunnel vision. There’s good info, and good people everywhere.
(Hint: I recognize a few of the Rok members’ avatars on the AOS 😊 recently)

Michigander1479

Lil-Rokslider
How did your 2023 fall go? I’m a Michigan resident but have a place in Palmer. I plan on spending all of this September in the bush pursuing moose.

OP
dbratton14
How did your 2023 fall go? I’m a Michigan resident but have a place in Palmer. I plan on spending all of this September in the bush pursuing moose.
Well it took me from August until October to find and close on a house so I couldn’t get my household goods with all my rifles and hunting equipment delivered until then. Got out on one black bear hunt. Saw a bunch of goats and one bear, but couldn’t get in on it before it disappeared back into the alders.

Then, I blew out my acl, lcl, and both meniscus in my left knee at the end of October and have been on the mend since. Huge bummer that I couldn’t get out and do any winter hiking or skiing, but I filled my time with indoor archery season. Now I’m on track with my recovery from surgery to get out for some spring bear and just general hiking, scouting, and poking around.