New VPA

OP
S
Yes, I am speaking specifically of higher-quality (or, at least for broadheads) SS. AEB-L or Nitro-V in particular. I am aware there are many 3-blade stainless options.

Yep I hear ya the stainless option isn’t the best and they will still rust a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lgard

FNG
Take it for what its worth but I will be returning the pack i just bought. They will not cut paper out of the pack, at least mine wouldnt. That was a deal breaker for me. In their videos they state that it is a single-double bevel. That throws me for a loop and strikes me as almost impossible. A single bevel is a single bevel. A double bevel is a double bevel. Both are designed to do a certain job. How could the rear of the blade (single bevel) have any mechanical advantage when the first half of the blade is double bevel. Are they tough? I bet. Could you get them sharp? I bet. They just seem gimmicky to me. Im not trying to dog vpa as I shoot their 3 blades and "normal" single bevels. I just think they missed the mark on this one and they are not cheap. The only advantage i see is more surface area to lay flat on a stone. Thats it.

OP
S
Take it for what its worth but I will be returning the pack i just bought. They will not cut paper out of the pack, at least mine wouldnt. That was a deal breaker for me. In their videos they state that it is a single-double bevel. That throws me for a loop and strikes me as almost impossible. A single bevel is a single bevel. A double bevel is a double bevel. Both are designed to do a certain job. How could the rear of the blade (single bevel) have any mechanical advantage when the first half of the blade is double bevel. Are they tough? I bet. Could you get them sharp? I bet. They just seem gimmicky to me. Im not trying to dog vpa as I shoot their 3 blades and "normal" single bevels. I just think they missed the mark on this one and they are not cheap. The only advantage i see is more surface area to lay flat on a stone. Thats it.

This is good feedback. Thanks for the information. I’ll have to think more about it before I purchase some or keep my originals

Beendare

WKR
Funny how I talked to the owner of VPA many years ago and he agreed with me that SB broadheads were silly- a less supported edge. He said it was stupid and they weren’t going to make them.

FFWD, it looks like they capitulated.
I suppose, if there is a market for it…someone is going to make the money from it…and it might as well be a good company like VPA

Beendare

WKR

A single bevel creates a very thin unsupported bevel. What VPA knows and you don’t- that thin edge can roll over easier on bone etc.

VPA Putting a small micro bevel on those gives them a more durable edge-a good strategy- just like a double bevel- grin

VPA knows There is more to a BH than just a sharp edge….. especially if you have to use a very thin, weaker bevel to do it.

Right or wrong, I have always put a small edge on the backside of any single bevel I have used. From my experiences, I am not convinced that a single bevel is that much better vs double bevel.
Glad to see I am not the only one.

I sharpen mine fairly substantially on the "flat" side. Makes for a more durable, field-serviceable edge. I was never satisfied with the deburring process on the "flat" side without putting an apex on it.

BTW, folks; you DON'T need your single-bevels to be completely flat on the back to gain the rotational benefits we attribute to single bevels. You can get rotation AND have a more robust, easier-to-maintain edge. As long as you have asymmetry, it is going to rotate.

I believe VPA advertises their heads as needing sharpening, do they not?

The single-bevel portion of the new VPA should be enough to induce rotation, I think. I don't see a significant advantage to this design, however. If a guy is buying broadheads, go for it, but no need to switch for those of us that are already invested in something.

I agree 100% with undomesticated.

Knifemakers have been putting secondary bevels on their scandi grind blades for quite a while. A true scandi grind is flat all the way to the edge, and will easily roll an edge. A secondary bevel makes the edge stronger.

Any asymmetry will cause rotation, and like I stated before, do not know if the rotation is that big a deal.

Beendare

WKR

Knifemakers have been putting secondary bevels on their scandi grind blades for quite a while. A true scandi grind is flat all the way to the edge, and will easily roll an edge. A secondary bevel makes the edge stronger.
Exactly👆🏼

Could it be the disadvantages of a SB outweigh the advantages? Grin

Ugh yeah….no doubt. SB is a solution to a non existent problem.

RCL

WKR
To each his own, but I have been using Ace and Magnus broadheads for years without regret.

Squints08

Lil-Rokslider
RCL,

I'm always interested in broadhead success and setups. What are the specs for your bow and which Magnus head have you used successfully? Thanks.

fatlander

WKR
One of my hunting partners got the new VPAs. They’re cool heads, but he spent hours sharpening them from the factory. That’s a deal breaker for me. The tool steel broadheads take forever to sharpen. I can sharpen a quiver full of exodus heads in the time it’s taken me to do one tool steel head.

They all kill stuff just as dead. Tune your bow. I’m not sold on single bevels on ranch fairy arrows being superior to a moderately weighted arrow, tipped with a razor sharp head, out of a decently fast and TUNED bow. Hit what you’re aiming at, and you don’t have to worry about the knuckle. Don’t aim at it.

lgard

FNG

Any asymmetry will cause rotation, and like I stated before, do not know if the rotation is that big a deal.
Youre speaking of a chisel grind. A scandi grind is a double bevel. Once a secondary bevel is put on a chisel grind it is not longer a single bevel. Exactly why I called this omega head a gimmick. It is false advertisement.

lgard

FNG
A single bevel creates a very thin unsupported bevel. What VPA knows and you don’t- that thin edge can roll over easier on bone etc.

VPA Putting a small micro bevel on those gives them a more durable edge-a good strategy- just like a double bevel- grin

VPA knows There is more to a BH than just a sharp edge….. especially if you have to use a very thin, weaker bevel to do it.
Would it not be wrong for vpa to sell broadheads knowing they have very thin unsupported edges? If so, why would they still sell their normal single bevels? They tried to recreate the wheel here and in my opinion failed. They falsely advertised this head. It is not by any definition a single bevel. Funny that their "weak" chiseled edge blades dont roll edges or chatter through deer or hogs. Scapula, spine or rib. Not one has rolled or chattered.

OP
S
The original post was meant to say I think these will easier to sharpen than the original VPA penetrator design.

With the part of the ferrule machined off so it could possibly easier to keep the desired angle.

I’m not getting into ranch fairy nonsense and ashy.

Beendare

WKR
Would it not be wrong for vpa to sell broadheads knowing they have very thin unsupported edges? If so, why would they still sell their normal single bevels? They tried to recreate the wheel here and in my opinion failed. They falsely advertised this head. It is not by any definition a single bevel. Funny that their "weak" chiseled edge blades dont roll edges or chatter through deer or hogs. Scapula, spine or rib. Not one has rolled or chattered.
As I think I said earlier, I talked to the owner of VPA years ago....he told me SB is a gimmick...and they would never make them.
It seems the power of profits got to them...grin...I don't blame them...or have a problem with a company selling guys what they ask for.

Single Bevels; The other fact that gets ignored about SB Bh's, that spiraling wound inhibits penetration...NOT making it better as the Youtube hacks claim. It's simple really- what is the shortest distance between 2 points? A straight line. A spiral wound channel is like a circular staircase- longer for sure.

Hey, if you have it your mind these are better then go for it.....an effing pop top will work on the end of an arrow in the right circumstances....but we have got to stop listening to these Youtube nut jobs.

>