New Year "New Season"

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck Les! Looking forward to the story when you get back (And I return back to civilization!)

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
d8efeb6cd4e2d0ed56a90049b44f2a5b.jpg

Hard work traveling. Sleeping in mid Snapchat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see mountains!!!!! Hazy, but they are visible.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
2f6f9632197757650279a65ffbac890a.jpg

be48d52afea73683d866881586aceccf.jpg

Made it. 30 minute drive in the morning and then we pack in 6 miles.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
We are packing in here shortly. Last year I had sporadic service and could post video and pic updates via Tapatalk. Tapatalk doesn't have the video update option anymore so when I have service it will be pic and words. I do have an InReach and Mrs. Avery Adventure's had agreed to relay my text updates while on my New Mexico hunt next week. If for some reason I don't get service in CO I'll send her updates. So watch for those as well.

Good luck to all of you. Shoot straight, have fun, stay safe!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
be48d52afea73683d866881586aceccf.jpg

Made it. 30 minute drive in the morning and then we pack in 6 miles.

I don't see much smoke haze in that pic.......hopefully it is subsiding some, as it has been horrible. I'm taking my daughter up today for her first ML experience and real hunt, I set up camp on Tuesday........in the heavy smoke. Good luck to you and your son.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Good luck Les and Hunter. I probably missed it in the thread, are you hunting now Les or just Hunter with ML? Looking forward to the stories of Colorado and New Mexico ( and Michael's NM hunt).

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I don't see much smoke haze in that pic.......hopefully it is subsiding some, as it has been horrible. I'm taking my daughter up today for her first ML experience and real hunt, I set up camp on Tuesday........in the heavy smoke. Good luck to you and your son.
Good luck to your daughter and you 5mile.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
New Year "New Season"

I'm posting updates for Les. He and Hunter are on the mountain. His inReach is working. Sent this:

"Camp set yesterday afternoon. Glassed evening. Slow today, no bugling. nothing but hunters."

He accidentally sent me his coordinates, and even better, a pin on a digital map! hahahahahah. When I told him I could tell he was pissed. I'll wait and see how they do on this hunt before I decide where to start the bidding.

Last edited:
OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't mind if Robby knows it's too much work for an old man

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
We are running into no sign, lots of people. Hunter isn't used to that so he's pretty dejected about it. We do have a great story from yesterday afternoon I'll post when I get back.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
We made a new plan last night to try the other side of the drainage and over the top. Everything was packed and we got up extra early. We could actually here two bulls. Ugliness towards the top. Yes 90 minutes before daylight and they were almost to the top already.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thermals we're obviously great so we stayed up. Well before light the close bull went silent. We switched and kept grinding up. Last bugle we got was just after daylight. An hour ago. We're at treeline. Glassiyand listening before we start trolling. Looks to be a long day. BUT we all know it only takes 20 seconds for things to flip.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hunter is the only one hunting. He flies out Wednesday morning and then I head south.

Mike tagged in NM and will be here with us tonight.

InReach is sometimes posting to Facebook, sometimes not. I'm not real good with it. Not sure how long we'll be right here with service. Thanks for taking care of it when you can Robby.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
2 bulls bugling on other mountain of course. The one we left this morning. We're headed there now, and take us 90 minutes to 2 hours. Will lose service over there.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
On he edge of a bedding area. I know the bull that was bugling here. I also know he is on the other end. Probably close to 700 yard away. It's a liyearly to be overly aggressive. Doing a blind calling setup looking for a satellite. Ohhhh the chess game. I love September if I haven't made that clear.