New Zealand DIY hunt

Does anyone have any info on this or outfitters that have drop camps or spike camps on South Island . I been dreaming of going but I don't have the budget for five star full service hunt.

TEmbry

WKR
Plenty of public land, no tags required, just a flight and rental SUV is all you will need. Prepare for extreme hiking. Ill be doing the trip myself in the next 2-3 years for chamois/tahr. All the maps are available online to look.

Sorry I don't have any specifics on areas to offer up yet, still in the preliminary stages of planning it out.

4IDARCHER

WKR
I thought that most of the stags were under high fence (albeit extremely large enclosures) in New Zealand

westcoast

FNG
Hi
I am a keen bowhunter from the westcoast of NZ, there is lots of free range deer hunting in NZ but the stags are nowhere the huge artificially breed beasts offered by guided outfits. There are huge areas of mountains for tahr and chamois but the terrain is rough and daunting. It is very easy to organise your own trip cheaply but the main thing is you need to have good fitness and plenty of you own backcountry experience or you will come up short. I have helped a few overseas groups with ideas and suggestions and am happy to help anyone from this site wishing to organise a trip.
bruce

That's mighty nice to offer help Bruce. NZ is on my bucket list for stags, sheep, trout and waterfowl. I have a good friend that just moved to AUS(Queensland) and I've been telling him that while he is there, he REALLY needs to spend some time in NZ. I feel like it's a place that once I visit, I wouldn't want to leave.

ozyclint

WKR
here's the links to some hunts i've done there. these are both public land DIY hunts. the hunting licence is free and can be applied for and printed out instantly off the DOC website-http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/
only costs are flying to NZ, food, hire car and fuel, and motels either side of the hunt. be ready for extreme terrain and weather if hunting the west coast. the terrain will blow your mind. makes sheep country look like a snooker table and steeper than mtn goat country i've seen in british columbia.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?2563-NZ-mountain-hunt-2-weeks-by-backpack
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?8223-tahr-and-chamois-quest-2013

OP
H
Wow great pics and great adventure .. My buddy's are all about deer hunting Midwest hard to brake them away. Need to find someone that's willing to take a chance.

jm1607

WKR
Can you camp anywhere on the public land? Also, I think I was watching one of the solo hunters where the guy was staying in little cabins on the mountainsides called huts? Is there a map where these are all located?

ozyclint

WKR
you can camp pretty much where you like. there are public huts all through the mountains. on both the north and south islands. go to the DOC website in my last post. they maintain the public huts. lots of info there.