Newbie mule deer hunter with new spotting scope

This year was my first year mule deer hunting. I was able to go to northwest Nebraska for a public land hunt and was able to kill a 3 1/2 year old 4x4 which I was thrilled to do. Being from Georgia the type of country was an eye opening experience. So of course I’m hooked and will be driving 1,500 miles west for the rest of my life. I used my 10x50 vortex diamondbacks on a tripod the whole hunt which I loved and felt like it was a great combination. I was able to spot deer easily but of course wasn’t able to judge much quality past 450 yards. So I now have a vanguard endeavor HD 65A. It’s hard to judge the quality in the spotting scope since I’m in Georgia. My question is what should I expect out of my spotting scope? The furthest I’ve looked was 600 yards and It started to feel like I wouldn’t be able to judge much quality at that distance. Comparing my Binoculars to the spotter i was somewhat disappointed. I’m not trying to count eye lashes on deer but would like to tell if a deer is a mature animal at 1,000 yards. Is that to much to ask? What is the max with y’alls spotter? And I understand I don’t have a 2,000 dollar spotter.

It will get the job done 80% of the time.
It will be frustrating the other 20 which will be first and last light and anytime looking into shadows. In optimal conditions you'll be able to judge a buck at 1500 plus.
But you could do a whole hunting trip for what a top end spotter costs.

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
I have that same spotter. I've been using it for 5 years. Mine is capable out to 1000 yds when atmospheric conditions allow.

Once I get over 30 power the image degrades, so I keep mine between 15 and 30. Overall I feel it's a great little scope, especially for the cost.

RyanCmns

WKR
It will get the job done 80% of the time.
It will be frustrating the other 20 which will be first and last light and anytime looking into shadows. In optimal conditions you'll be able to judge a buck at 1500 plus.
But you could do a whole hunting trip for what a top end spotter costs.
What he said unless you have a dad like mine that only runs swaro optics then dont buy anything and use his stuff!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

As you get more familiar with western hunting and find yourself in inevitably more mountainous terrain, you’ll find your glass to be an increasingly limiting factor. Squirrel away some cash and get a good spotter. It will save you a ton in miles and energy.

I’m not really familiar with that spotting scope you referred to, but you should easily be able to reasonably judge a deer well past 1000 yards in reasonable conditions with a decent spotter. I don’t even put a deer in a spotter generally unless he is past 1,000 yards. I don’t know what kind of detail you looking for, but I’ll post up some examples... I’m a shitty photographer, but I hope you get the idea of what to expect/see... I dunno how else to explain without some pics as to what you should expect in different conditions at varying distances.

For Example- this deer was 2 miles out, I had sun at my back, early morning perfect conditions...It’s grainy, some haze, was way better in real life... but I feel like I could judge this deer and for sure know if I wanted to kill him or not.
844BAD3E-2EF8-4FFD-87B8-091A16DD1C18.jpeg

This buck was 1500 yards plus, super hazy,...looking right into the sun, really tough, about as bad as it can get.... but again, very easy to judge.

F2B0F238-A373-4A32-A286-BAF090C4FE60.jpeg

This buck was around 2,000 yards, decent conditions, side lighting, some haze... but still very easy to see detail, cheaters etc.

0329B84A-42AB-4732-83C6-36C7A46A89FF.jpeg

Hopefully that helps.

beason_us

FNG
I don't use that scope. This is a phonescope through a Vortex Razor Gen 1. 1500 yds. I've used my 20-60x85 to spot bucks 3-4 miles away. Depending on snow or lighting getting a decent idea of size and frame enough to know if I should get closer. Always have mine at 20x to scan. I almost never go above 50x. Pick up too many heat waves and gets out of focus slightly beyond that at those distances

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1575480206406.jpg
    FB_IMG_1575480206406.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 62

BrianReno

FNG
I will be stepping up to a Vortex Razor for next year. The spotter I have had for years just doesn't cut it anymore for long distance and determining if the hike is worth it.