NF SHV 3-10x40mm Q&A

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Q&A for-

woods89

WKR
I have one that survived a fallover on rocks, and a vehicle rollover (laying uncased in the back of a 4runner) with no loss of zero this year. Vortex Pro rings loctited and torqued ( can't remember exact torque, between 20-25 in lbs on the ring caps I think) on a Talley pic rail.

Not at all scientific but it made me feel better about its reliability. If they made a FFP model with a better reticle they'd own the market.

Thanks for doing these tests!

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Epoxy bed the scope into the rings :oops:

It’s been done. As well as superglue, industrial adhesive, etc.

Degreased completely and torqued appropriately with blue loctite or fingernail polish/paint pen on all threads- they don’t move.

Last edited:

Tmac

WKR
For holding zero during drop testing, it appears this SHV is good, but not a top performer. But it seems similar in performance to the Trijicon Credo HX you tested, maybe a little better? Is that a fair assessment?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
For holding zero during drop testing, it appears this SHV is good, but not a top performer. But it seems similar in performance to the Trijicon Credo HX you tested, maybe a little better? Is that a fair assessment?

Well, it depends.

This is zero retention through 27, 3 foot drops-
IMG_4922.jpeg

That’s solid. It did shift for one shot after a 4.5’ish foot drop, so at least that one the NXS/NX8/etc have done better at.

The simple answer is the scopes work, and loss of zero from the scope is not a serious concern.

What scope caps are you using?

I assume they're good to go and function well or you wouldn't have them on there.

Have a couple shv 3-10x42 scopes and been wanting to pick up some decent caps.

Thanks

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
So does the NF glass quality outweigh the slight mechanical deficiencies when comparing this to something like an SWFA?

If they're both sitting on the bench in front of you before a back country hunt, do you say "I'll take the SWFA because the glass is good enough and it has bombproof zero and perfect tracking," or do you say "I'll take the SHV because the zero and tracking are good enough and the glass is stellar"?

So does the NF glass quality outweigh the slight mechanical deficiencies when comparing this to something like an SWFA?

If they're both sitting on the bench in front of you before a back country hunt, do you say "I'll take the SWFA because the glass is good enough and it has bombproof zero and perfect tracking," or do you say "I'll take the SHV because the zero and tracking are good enough and the glass is stellar"?
Personally I think the swfa 3-9 has better glass..

I have a 3-10 SHV duplex. It’s on my 30-06 “ultralight” rifle basically for still hunting and backpacking when long range is not likely. Great durable scope, simple, streamlined. Haven’t touched the zero in a couple years of use.

The groups on this scope/gun seem to be slightly larger than some of the other scopes you’ve tested. I assume this is the ammunition that you mentioned and not a gun/scope concern?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

The glass is the same. And yea x it’s always the SWFA 3-9x.