Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 F1 vs ATACR 4-16x42 F1

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I have both scopes in Mil, I prefer the atacr over the nx8 but I think for most they would be happy with either

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
Which reticle did you get in the 4-16? And how do you find it at 4x seeing the reticle?
Mil c , it’s still pretty fine at 4x but visible, perfer to have it illuminated in low light, much more visible than the nx8 at 2.5

OP
B
Mil c , it’s still pretty fine at 4x but visible, perfer to have it illuminated in low light, much more visible than the nx8 at 2.5
Ok thanks. I am thinking about trying the Mil-R. I ended up getting it in the MOAR, but I’m considering trying mils.

str8ripon

FNG
Just got the ATACR, the swivel of the ocular and the cap moving doesn’t bother me much. What I don’t like, though, is the ocular spinning in combination with the diopter location can cause issues if you haven’t locked the diopter well (not that big of a deal). The ocular cover also is pretty big and sits far off the scope body, or something. Eye relief seems more noticeable when behind the scope with cap on. Without cap the scope is virtually unnoticeable.

The IQ is pretty damn good. Edge to edge clarity, etc significant step up to my eyes compared to Trijicon Tenmile, Leupold VX6. The eye box is as good as the Leupold, but you do see more of the scope body. The mil-r is obviously not near as good as the TLHR in my ZP5 but my eyes are decent and isn’t a huge hindrance - haven’t hunted at last light with it yet though.

A good reticle and 20-25 oz at its street price and no one would ever buy another scope most likely (who am I kidding I would for sure).

@bowrunner81 I picked up the 4-16 ATACR this winter and used it for some long range shooting. After getting a Maven RS 1.2 and using side by side.. I sold the ATACR and going to buy another RS1.2. It wins on weight (4oz), reticle, illumination, non rotating eyepiece most certainly price.

I keep pushing my hunting buddy to buy another rifle, mostly so I can sell him my ATACR and get two Mavens...

OP
B
Well maybe I’ll try to snag one of the Mavens when they get back in stock. I’d like to put an ATACR through the paces sometime tho. I appreciate the information.

Xycod

Lil-Rokslider
NF on the atacr should change the non rotating eyepiece to the nx8 style, fix the tunneling on the lowest powers, add the illumination system of the Zeiss v8, actually everyone should add their system, and for gosh sake make it a center dot or cross only that illuminates, not the entire ret, then give more low settings that doesn’t blind me at dusk.

Next up is Al least give the option of having some form of a dedicated hunting reticle, at that point they would have close to the perfect scope for hunting or prs imo, weight being the other issue but that’s what makes it a NF.

OP
B
@bowrunner81 I picked up the 4-16 ATACR this winter and used it for some long range shooting. After getting a Maven RS 1.2 and using side by side.. I sold the ATACR and going to buy another RS1.2. It wins on weight (4oz), reticle, illumination, non rotating eyepiece most certainly price.
Which reticle did you get in the ATACR?

I have shot both, and I would buy to 4-16 every time. That particular nx8 has a horrible eye box. Every time I shoot one I feel like I’m going to get scoped. I’m still not sure how the 4-32 has such better eye relief, but it does.

NF on the atacr should change the non rotating eyepiece to the nx8 style, fix the tunneling on the lowest powers, add the illumination system of the Zeiss v8, actually everyone should add their system, and for gosh sake make it a center dot or cross only that illuminates, not the entire ret, then give more low settings that doesn’t blind me at dusk.
And if they could use whatever coatings or optical system they used on the 7-35 ATACR on the rest of the ATACR line, even better.