Nitto vs Toyo (265/60/20")

My brother is suggesting Nitto or Toyo for my GMC 2500. I currently have Falken ATs and they've been pretty underwhelming (as in spinning in wet grass).

The Nitto and Toyo tires that are a little more aggressive have great reviews with similar price. I thought of checking here to see if anyone had a suggestion for picking one over the other.

Thanks for any advice.

What is your tire pressure ?

I’m a big fan of falken wolf peak at3s
70 lbs. The guys at tire shop really talked up the Falkens but I don't recall ever sliding around so much on gravel, clay, and even my damned lawn. Hate having to use 4 wheel drive to pull out of my grass! I imagine they make better tires but another set of A/Ts are a hard pass for me.

I'm on my second set of Nittos and have had great luck with them. Rotate consistently to get full life . They have good traction on mud and grass in my experience.

No experience with Toyo, but I’ve got Nitto Ridge grapplers on my diesel (Ram 2500). I’ve put maybe 12-15k on them and I’m happy with them so far. Tread life seems to be better than some of the others I’ve tried (BFG A/T, Goodyear Wrangler).

I had the Falkin A/T and M/T’s and prefer the M/Ts by a long shot. The M/T’s are surprisingly quiet compared to the toyos and duratracs. I only had them on a 1500 though.

The nittos wore out insanely fast when I tried them so I’m not a fan.

Which tire?

I have 25k on the nitto recon grapplers 275/65r20 and they are terrible on wet or cold pavement. They’ve done fine for general offroading. They are wearing great but I plan to go Toyo open country at3 next.

My nitto terra g2’s went 75k before replacing and still had a little life in them. They also did better on wet pavement.

Here are a few that I'm checking out on Discount Tire website:

Nitto
  • RECON GRAPPLER A/T
  • RIDGE GRAPPLER

Toyo
  • OPEN COUNTRY A/T III

Had a set of toyo mt's that seemed to last for ever, hooked up pretty well too. But they changed something in the compound or something. Last 2 sets I had, I didnt get 30k out of them.....Never again
That was my experience with the Toyo too. Get them on rock and gravel and they get eaten alive.

Judging a tire by it's grip on wet grass is a pretty dumb exercise.

Here's a good review of the Falken compared to the Toyo: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=293

Toyo A/T III, Ridge Grapplers, and Wildpeak AT3W, are all pretty dang good tires. I've had the Nitto's and Falken's. Happy with both but probably won't be going back to the Nittos without a mileage warranty. Likely try out the Toyo's this season.

Also don't run your tires at freaking 70 psi unless you're towing.

If you're looking at the Toyo A/T's I would consider the C/T's. I've had two sets of the A/T's and they have worn out quickly. C/T's held up much better. Also make sure ypu are getting the higher ply tires as well. A/T's for example have a higher and lower ply version.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Judging a tire by it's grip on wet grass is a pretty dumb exercise.

Here's a good review of the Falken compared to the Toyo: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=293

Toyo A/T III, Ridge Grapplers, and Wildpeak AT3W, are all pretty dang good tires. I've had the Nitto's and Falken's. Happy with both but probably won't be going back to the Nittos without a mileage warranty. Likely try out the Toyo's this season.

Also don't run your tires at freaking 70 psi unless you're towing.

I am towing, trailers and boats... and slipping on wet grass wasn't a test, just an experience that happened often.

The grapplers have a mileage warranty (55k) so I may go that route.

I had Nittos on a previous Dodge/Cummins and was underwhelmed. Only lasted about 25k. My current Dodge/Cummins came with Nitro Ridge Grqpplers, but only have 2k miles so the jury is out on them. Never ran Toyo's, but my neighbor liked them.

I have Nitto Ridge Grapplers right now on my truck, But cant say much about them as I jsut bought the truck last week.
When I do go to replace tires ill be going with BF Goodrich A/T.
Have ran multiple sets of them and have always had great luck and the wear like iron.

I'm on the second set of Ridge Grapplers on my Power Wagon, 35x12.5r17s. I am pleased with the wear, the first set had 30k on them (maybe 3-5k left) when I preemptively replaced them due to the number of hunts I have coming up this season, especially late season snow hunts, and didn't want to deal with doing tires mid-season. Tires aren't magic though, a 32" tire on a 20" wheel is always going to suck offroad.

Last edited:
Back