NM 6a archery elk

I drew the first archery tag. Any info you could share? What could I expect for number and size of bulls? Areas to start scouting? Camp spots? Are the bulls talking and coming into calls in early September? Thanks.

Jared in Montrose, CO

In the Southwest part of the state bulls are pretty quiet on the early hunt. Don't specifically know the area up there well but the unit looks to average 280-320 class bulls. It has a 33:100 bull:cow ratio. Good luck with the hunt

I hunted it 2 years ago on the rifle. Saw a lot of elk but all were in the valle.

Killed a nice 6 point and had a great hunt. I suggest hiking far from the roads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congrats on the draw! It’s going to be a warm hunt. The bulls will probably quieter during the first hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

320 is a good goal for that area, you'll get an occasional 350 coming off the preserve which I've hunted twice. You'll definitely find the best success heading in deep with that area due to some big pressure near the roads that I witnessed. The genetics just never impressed me in the Jemez Mountains allowing elk to get to that 7+ year age mark. We looked over 100's of bulls in 12 days last year.

Back