NM Ibex

WRO

WKR
Hire a guide if you can afford it. One of the toughest archery hunts in the nation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTGunner

Lil-Rokslider
Tough hunt. Rugged terrain and you may Need a local to steer you in the right direction. The Floridas are steep and treacherous. The real trophy Ibex live in the nose bleed country. MTG

MTGunner

Lil-Rokslider
Know, there are some true trophy Ibex in the Floridas. Which tag did you draw. Ewe and doe or trophy Ibex? MTG

OP
J

Jbow387

FNG
Know, there are some true trophy Ibex in the Floridas. Which tag did you draw. Ewe and doe or trophy Ibex? MTG
I drew the January bow tag, ES.
Potential to kill something big, but certainly gonna have your work cut out for you any time you have a bow in hand!

WVelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Did the hunt this past Dec, Jan with my 9yr son. He had the youth rifle tag. The population is way down and the idea seemed to stay pretty high on the mountain. We hunted hard for 10 days before we were successful after he made an absolutely amazing shot. We were prepared for the steepness for the mountain, but not for the vegetation. Everything on that mountain will make you bleed. You might only need to cover 500yds to get to where you want to be, but you'll walk 2 miles weaving through cactus and ocotilla(f*** that stuff!).

OP
J

Jbow387

FNG
Did the hunt this past Dec, Jan with my 9yr son. He had the youth rifle tag. The population is way down and the idea seemed to stay pretty high on the mountain. We hunted hard for 10 days before we were successful after he made an absolutely amazing shot. We were prepared for the steepness for the mountain, but not for the vegetation. Everything on that mountain will make you bleed. You might only need to cover 500yds to get to where you want to be, but you'll walk 2 miles weaving through cactus and ocotilla(f*** that stuff!).
You’re not the first person to mention the decline in population. Especially in recent years. Hopefully they can make a comeback

yfarm

WKR
NMFG was having population control hunts up to 2 yrs ago. Carrying capacity of the habitat is 300 animals I read. We hunted there 2 yrs ago, nosebleed comment is correct. Animals were as high as they could get. There was a spotter down below communicating with a hunter up above. I had read that the guides have multiple spotters below communicating with the guide or guides,but we saw only one nonguided hunter. We were nonguided as well. Filled our tag, Ibex landed on a 2 ft wide shelf on a cliff face, was a stress filled extraction. Took 3 hours to move 200 yards to get into shooting position. Couple of years ago a 14y/o girl on a once in a lifetime tag shot a nice billy, had to hire rock climbers to get the animal out using ropes and lowering it down the cliff. There are other mountains close to the Floridas but the animals apparently have not expanded to other adjacent similar habitat, wonder why.Our hunt we had snow so snakes were not an issue. Good luck.

Last edited:

bradb

WKR
Give Derek Harris a call at South Peak Guide service.

Feel free to pm me you number and I will talk about my muzz hunt with you. Quality and quantity is down from when I went just before the population reduction hunts. Still a truly SPECIAL tag to have in hand

WoodBow

WKR
There are other mountains close to the Floridas but the animals apparently have not expanded to other adjacent similar habitat, wonder why.
Because the state does not want them expanding. It is open season on any ibex not in the floridas. You can buy a tag OTC.

MTGunner

Lil-Rokslider
I/we hunt quail 360 degrees around the Florida’s annually and have yet to see one down out of the elevations. There were a few in the Little Florida’s that have been taken. But few. MTG