NM landowner tags under fire

louisianahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Just finished listening to the most recent Hunt Quietly podcast episode. It covers the issues with tag allocation in New Mexico. I've always heard there's a lot of landowner tags but apparently around 40% of elk tags go to land owners. WAY more than any other state with similar programs. Obviously Matt has his agenda to push so I'm curious what general sentiment out there is on this topic.

OP
L

louisianahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
the more the better...basically the only way I can get a tag nowadays.

a lot better at making money than I am at drawing tags...
Haha yeah I get that sentiment. Don't have the money yet but in 10 year it's something I would consider. But still, it feels dirty. The wildlife is supposed to be owned by the people of the state and held in trust by the state for the people. And the resource allocated democratically. This is just the opposite of that.

Ten Bears

WKR
Haha yeah I get that sentiment. Don't have the money yet but in 10 year it's something I would consider. But still, it feels dirty. The wildlife is supposed to be owned by the people of the state and held in trust by the state for the people. And the resource allocated democratically. This is just the opposite of that.

hunting has been monetized...bonus and preference points that lead to nowhere. the constant raising of NR tags prices...paying social media types to promote hunting... plethora of dot.orgs that barely back hunting...I could keep going…

I feel less dirty giving the landowner the money at this point to play the game...let them make some cash, everyone else is.

SDHNTR

WKR
the more the better...basically the only way I can get a tag nowadays.

a lot better at making money than I am at drawing tags...
Selfishly, I agree with this, but it’s definitely not in conformance with the NA Conservation Model. I have mixed feelings about EPlus. IMO, it’s the SCR’s with UW tags that are the problem. There are a lot of small pieces getting tags and those pieces are too small to hold the elk exclusively on the property. Those are nothing more than just tags for the auction block imo. At least on the big ranches those are elk that the public hunter would likely never have a chance at anyways.

Last edited:
Landowner tags = No access to private land without big money. This plan is literally a financial incentive to harbor wildlife and exclude access unless you have enough wealth to play the game.

It is a bad idea and I hope MT doesn't fall into this trap.

If the landowner wants unit wide tags he has to allow public access to the property. And you have to show you're creating habitat for elk (water, feed, shelter).

Unless your ranch is several hundred acres, you're not getting any animals to yourself most likely.

I'm torn on this issue myself - the elk would just run to private Sep 1 and wait it out if there weren't incentives to keep them spread out.

SCRs have to win a lottery to get tags. Chances are based on #acres and quality rating.
There are enough complaints and compliments from both sides to make me think it's a good enough system.

SDHNTR

WKR
Does NM have any data to show that LO use all tags allotted to them?
haha. I personally have called nearly every one of the eplus LO's in multiple units. Virtually none use their own tags. They are simply far too valuable. Beef ranchers value money in the bank over meat in the freezer. Outfitters buy up the vast majority, tag brokers get the next chunk, and perhaps a tiny fraction get used by family members.

Bogner24

FNG
haha. I personally have called nearly every one of the eplus LO's in multiple units. Virtually none use their own tags. They are simply far too valuable. Beef ranchers value money in the bank over meat in the freezer. Outfitters buy up the vast majority, tag brokers get the next chunk, and perhaps a tiny fraction get used by family members.
Sorry, I should be more specific. Does anyone use them (completely) or are they simply doled out and disappear into thin air?

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider

My degree was in Economics. For one of my upper level classes, I wrote a paper on the implications of privatizing deer herds in VA.

I get the sentiment, but allowing private profiting of the resource helps ensure better quality game.

TheTone

WKR
They’re pure crap IMO. If a landowner sees no value in having wildlife on their property besides something to make money off of I will freely trade them my quarter acre city lot for their ranch. My lot doesn’t have any annoying wildlife to have to put up with. The tags should be put into the public draw and give people are fair chance at them

yfarm

WKR
Familiar with a LO in nm, 100% of his tags are used on his property. He leases his ranch to a cattle operator in the summer for $7500 for 2000 acres. Had 3 groups of hunters, 5 days each group, 4/group. Total revenue from hunting 54k.
Barely covering costs, wants to leave to his children, eliminate LO tags, he is out of business and who is going to buy 2000acres for the cattle revenue. This business paradox exists throughout the state, suspect politically its a heavy lift to eliminate. Doubt the state wants to pay depredation damages to landowners in lieu of permits. As others have said, other alternative is shoot and let lay.

Just finished listening to the most recent Hunt Quietly podcast episode. It covers the issues with tag allocation in New Mexico. I've always heard there's a lot of landowner tags but apparently around 40% of elk tags go to land owners. WAY more than any other state with similar programs. Obviously Matt has his agenda to push so I'm curious what general sentiment out there is on this topic.

I’d check his math on 40%. big difference in Unit wide vs Ranch only also. on top of that NM isn’t really a migratory state also

They’re pure crap IMO. If a landowner sees no value in having wildlife on their property besides something to make money off of I will freely trade them my quarter acre city lot for their ranch. My lot doesn’t have any annoying wildlife to have to put up with. The tags should be put into the public draw and give people are fair chance at them

I think we should just go back to the old days. Depredation tags on demand. But I got a section I’ll trade you. Come Jan there will be about 300 pronghorn mowing the wheat to the roots and you can’t do shitte about it.

It’s funny every body’s got an opinion until the fences go up and all the wintering habitat is gone, and game numbers plummet.