NM OTC Barbary Units

Chipz

FNG
Because of a serious injury I recently sustained I have to forfeit my Utah Elk tag this year. In lieu of this I am planning on going to NM in Jan-Feb for an OTC Barbary/Javelina hunt. Will be there for a week and plan on hunting hard, I know guys like to keep their Barbary spots hush/hush but I am just looking for OTC units where there are sheep so I dont waste a trip.

I've got some areas picked out in Units 21,38, 17, and 18. Are there any sheep in these areas or is it a lost cause?

Feel free to PM, thanks.

WCB

WKR
I would assume you have to forfeit the tag due to hunt time and recover time? The Auodad hunt will most likely be a lot harder than the elk hunt.

OP
C

Chipz

FNG
I would assume you have to forfeit the tag due to hunt time and recover time? The Auodad hunt will most likely be a lot harder than the elk hunt.

Pretty much, long story short I broke my femur, pelvis and a couple vertebrae. The elk hunt would pretty much be at the tail end of my assumed PT/recovery so its a no go. The NM hunt gives me a goal to reach recovery wise.

Fitzwho

WKR
I haven't ever found any of them outside of the draw areas, I know they exist, just haven't really looked for them. I have a Unit 31 mule deer tag that I'll be focusing on from now until the end of October. I'll be scouting a couple weekends, I can let you know if I find any sheep running around. Though I may buy a tag and shoot one first.

wyosteve

WKR
If you just recently sustained those injuries, I doubt you'll want to be hiking hills/mountains in Jan/Feb. I broke my femur last July and am finally back to what I'd consider full strength, although I haven't done much downhill hiking yet. If they had to 'rod' your femur to put it back together, it takes a long time to regain stability. Just my .02.