NM Unit 15

I thought i had applied for first rifle hunt, turns out it was the 2nd and I drew. Still excited though. Are the bulls busted up in the 2nd hunt?

I thought i had applied for first rifle hunt, turns out it was the 2nd and I drew. Still excited though. Are the bulls busted up in the 2nd hunt?
Most of the herd bulls will likely be all tuckered out by then and will be hiding out trying recuperate. I think graylight will be the best time to try and ambush between feed and bed. That would be my strategy anyway. You might find some satellite bulls with the cows going for the leftovers. Some of them SBs ain't small!

15 is a primitive weapons unit for elk. Bow or MZ only. Inline w/scopes OK.
2nd hunt they will be post rut for most part, like Gila said. Broke up will depend on growth this year and strength.....or ass kicking....

I think Gila was responding to my 16D 2nd rifle hunt. Them post rut bulls can be tough to find, and 16D seems limited for glassing... A guy might be able to locate call still I'm hoping, even if they aren't interested I'm hoping some cow calls might at least make a big old bull at least sound off! Or do those bulls get called at an awful lot?Covering lots of ground seems to be the tactic in there, and getting off the roads?

I've been reading this forum for quite a while now but decided to register so I can contribute what little I know.

I've hunted 16A twice and 16B three times but I've never hunted 16D or 15.

I like 16A for the road access and found that there are many places to glass especially if you don't mind parking and walking a little bit to get to a high point. The road access makes it easy to get around the unit but there is also a lot of remote areas for those of us that like to try and get away from the trucks and atv's. I've seen some really good bulls(350/360ish) in 16A but never been fortunate enough to put my tag on one.

The biggest bull I've ever seen(380 maybe bigger) was in 16B south of McKenna park in the Diablo Range which is some of the steepest nastiest country I've ever tried to get around in.

Like others have said, if you can find a spot that tends to be overlooked or get away from the crowd you will find elk and I believe all of the 16's and 15 hold world class bulls.

My wife drew unit 15 first muzzleloader hunt this year and we plan on many scouting trips. I look forward to having some knowledge of 15 after this season.

Still never drawn it or a real Gila tag for elk. lol Surrounding units,but not 15, big 3 16's.
But I have great woodcutting & exploring/scouting trips.

Just booked my first elk hunt ever last week in unit 15, New Mexico! Purchased a landowner tag and going with an outfitter November 21st. Sounds like unit 15 has some decent bulls.

Trying to get these danged goatheads cleaned out of the yard....then going up. Getting camp gear together....cleaning up the side by. It's been hot down here. I'm only a mile high. Drier year than it should be but not too bad. Gila and the Lincoln should be good pickens.

Hank I’m jealous of your view! Thanks for posting up and keeping me pumped about this hunt!
Have y’all gotten some good rain this year?

Just booked my first elk hunt ever last week in unit 15, New Mexico! Purchased a landowner tag and going with an outfitter November 21st. Sounds like unit 15 has some decent bulls.
Rich guy like yourself should have a great hunt! Those outfitters know where to find them.

Good luck man! A LO tag and an outfitter should get you some good opportunities. Post a story up here afterwards!

Hey thanks and will do! I haven’t been able to sleep for the last couple weeks and my wife is already going nuts because all I do is talk about how excited I am!

Thanks for the pics ! I have a 2nd season muzzleloader tag for 15. Can not wait and to boot, have a 3rd season rifle mule deer tag in Colorado.

Can not wait to get after it !

Hank, you will have a great time and hunt....it is addicting there for sure

Back