No love for the .243?

Rich M

WKR
.243 doesn’t get the love it deserves because the .223 & 6.5 stole the show. Most guys are going .30 cal and larger if they already own the two noted above.

I agree, though. .243 has arguably killed more deer than most calibers, aside from maybe the 30-30 or -06
It’s like driving a 4 cylinder. Yeah, will do the job but there are better options., especially if you want to tow something.

Most folks i know used 243 til they lost a deer and then stepped up. Simple. But this is in the east where we have woods to lose criiters in but plenty of folks stick w 243.

That’s the nice thing w all the options we get. Pick yer poison and ride it.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
It’s like driving a 4 cylinder. Yeah, will do the job but there are better options., especially if you want to tow something.

Most folks i know used 243 til they lost a deer and then stepped up. Simple. But this is in the east where we have woods to lose criiters in but plenty of folks stick w 243.

You’re not losing the deer because it’s a 243. You’re losing a deer because of crap bullet placement and crap bullets like monos. Just like every other cartridge

KineKilla

WKR
.243 kills deer just fine. It will even kill Elk if you shoot them right.

I use and recommend bigger for Elk but wouldn't hesitate to carry a .243 into the field for mulies.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Stalker69

WKR
I have a ruger in 243 and love that thing. I have killed a bunch of deer, antelope and a pretty fair amount of elk. When I hunted with it, it seemed like I had good luck, would see a lot of animals, and if I decided, it had no issue dropping them. 100 gr. Nosler partition, was the light switch. I do own a 6.5 creedmore and a 6.5 PRC also

Stalker69

WKR

No it’s knowing how to shoot. Sounds as though you may need a 458 or 560 nitro to compensate for the ability to put the bullet in the proper place. I’ve killed a lot of elk with my 243 and never had an issue. Towed a small fishing boat with my Toyota also, never an issue. Just cause you need to tow something does not mean you need a semi tractor trailer. Sure I could have towed my little aluminum boat with a semi tractor, but why.

Jbehredt

WKR
Buying a new 300WM after losing an animal hit poorly with a .243 helps you absolve yourself of some of the guilt of taking a bad shot. Your punishment is excess recoil for the next 30 years. Eventually you begin to forgive yourself and buy a new 6 creed. I should write a screenplay…

Rich M

WKR
No it’s knowing how to shoot. Sounds as though you may need a 458 or 560 nitro to compensate for the ability to put the bullet in the proper place. I’ve killed a lot of elk with my 243 and never had an issue. Towed a small fishing boat with my Toyota also, never an issue. Just cause you need to tow something does not mean you need a semi tractor trailer. Sure I could have towed my little aluminum boat with a semi tractor, but why.
Always love how it first comes to shot placement then the 2nd is ya gotta use x bullets. It’s like pissing off a leftist and they call ya a racist boomer and blame ya for having preference points.

Glad you run a tin. Me too, 18 ft tiller, take it 10-20 miles offshore fishing on nice days and tow w 6 cylinder Taco. I used to have a 16 ft that was towed w a 4 cylinder but it would hold the lil truck back after about 60 mph. For real. Wonder what towing will be like when we all drive electric vehicles..

Who was that guy? Kilamajaro Bell? Used to shoot elephants w 7x57 mauser. He did pretty good.

Bottom line is use what makes you happy. I wouldnt have it any other way.

Old Dog

FNG
I learned a long time ago that a bigger rifle (300wm in my case) will not make up for a shit shot or crappy bullets.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
My model 1 in 270 weatherby mag shoots great got the job done at 410 yards across the canyon on this whitetail buck I've never had anything but amazing luck from my #1 and my friends 4 of which also have model1s never seem to complain about accuracy either. Although this isnt the first time I've heard someone say this about them. Just never seen one not shoot myself.

Shoot it b4 you buy it. They are all over the spectrum on accuracy

Attachments

• 20221112_082621.jpg
    20221112_082621.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 45

mcseal2

WKR
I can't add much that hasn't been said. 243 is my favorite for coyotes. I don't take it if I think I might call in a bobcat though, the 75gr bullets that work so well for coyotes ruined a cat for me.

I use my 243 or 25-06 almost exclusively for antlerless season on deer. They work great with good shot placement. I have used Sierra 85 and 100gr Gamekings, 90gr Accubonds, 87 and 95gr Bergers, earlier I used Core Lokt 100gr, Winchester 100gr. All worked fine when put through the lungs. I tested the 87gr for Berger when they developed it and between me and a couple friends, we took several deer with it. None went far.

I chose not to use my 243 when hunting bucks. I use my 264 win mag, 270, or 300 win mag. I've had times when I have to take a longer shot at the very edge of legal light, and I just like the other rifles for that. There isn't always time to wait for a broadside lung shot. If I didn't have those other options I'd use my 243 and be fine. I just might chose to pass a quartering away shot that I'd take with the bigger gun. Those guns like to go hunting too, not just sit in the safe while the 243 has all the fun.

The 243's have taken more deer than the bigger guns and never had a problem, I'm just a little choosier how I use them.

Stalker69

WKR
Kills me to hear people say they want more gun, just in case they have to take a poor angle shot. An unethical shot. Are you going to starve if you don't kill that one and only animal ? I highly doubt it. It's obviously the risk for the rack syndrome.

Last edited:

KenLee

WKR
Serious question, what do you think accounts for the no blood track jobs? The reason I ask is because I’ve been on a few myself that my son has shot over the past couple of years. Shooting federal power shock 100gr and hornady SST 95 gr. Not bad shots and all deer recovered within 100 yards but little to no blood. All shots were 40-80 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Power Shoks are notorious for no pass through or blood trails from a 243. 95gr SSTs going fast in close also usually aren't getting an exit.
I've taken alot of kids hunting with 243s over the last 30 years. Best I've seen for blood trails are the old school cup and core 100 gr Hornady and the Winchester 100 gr Power Max Bonded. Ray Charles could blood trail a deer shot with the Power Max