Non-big box trolling motor dealer? (Minkota)

Hey guys, checking to see if anybody has a non-big box trolling motor dealer they'd recommend. I'm looking to upgrade my 2013 Terrova to a new(er) Ulterra with the GPS puck. I would likely need to have the motor shipped.

Thank you in advance!

Macintosh

WKR
Wish I had a rec, I just checked and the place I got my ultrex and talon from has gone out of business. Shame, he was great. I’ll follow along for next time.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
I will check those out and thank you. Carnavon is a fairly short drive between me and Ft. Dodge, and the Okoboji guys would be about 2.5 hours away.

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
Glenn’s reel and rod repair in Iowa is highly recommended by the best older model outboard mechanic I know. I found mine a few hundred cheaper at Reed’s during Covid. Couldn’t believe it was even in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Glenn’s reel and rod repair in Iowa is highly recommended by the best older model outboard mechanic I know. I found mine a few hundred cheaper at Reed’s during Covid. Couldn’t believe it was even in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dang, he's got some pretty good prices on the reconditioned motors with 1 year factory warranty.

Anybody have any experience with a reconditioned TM or with Minkota customer service?

tp308

Lil-Rokslider

TSAMP

WKR
Dang, he's got some pretty good prices on the reconditioned motors with 1 year factory warranty.

Anybody have any experience with a reconditioned TM or with Minkota customer service?
Two buddies of mine bought reconditioned units. No issues. I think part availability is good with minnkota so I wouldn't worry about it. The majority of issues you could fix yourself.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Two buddies of mine bought reconditioned units. No issues. I think part availability is good with minnkota so I wouldn't worry about it. The majority of issues you could fix yourself.
That's great news. I have a 2013 Lund 1675 deep V, and it came with a 60"/80lb Terrova. It's been a great motor, especially on the small electric-only lakes in this area. However, it has the old spot-lock technology that can't be upgraded. This is a constant pain point for me when trying to fish mid-lake structure as the boat wil sway 40-50' or more, and if it's windy at all, it's worthless and we're back to front and rear physical anchors.

I'm looking for a newer (they updated the spot lock tech in 2016 I believe) Ulterra with warranty for a few reasons.

-auto stow/deploy/trim would be a game changer for me and my wife as she fishes out of the front of the boat and often manages these functions when we're on the water. We're not getting any younger, and this would be a great convenience feature for us and save our backs.

-spot lock with jog would be awesome for parking over submerged brush and rock piles and exploring precisely to find that "spot on the spot". It would also reduce my blood pressure and cussing due to fighting the wind

-we don't troll that much, but at some point I'd like to take a deeper dive into iPilot and iPilot link

TSAMP

WKR
That's great news. I have a 2013 Lund 1675 deep V, and it came with a 60"/80lb Terrova. It's been a great motor, especially on the small electric-only lakes in this area. However, it has the old spot-lock technology that can't be upgraded. This is a constant pain point for me when trying to fish mid-lake structure as the boat wil sway 40-50' or more, and if it's windy at all, it's worthless and we're back to front and rear physical anchors.

I'm looking for a newer (they updated the spot lock tech in 2016 I believe) Ulterra with warranty for a few reasons.

-auto stow/deploy/trim would be a game changer for me and my wife as she fishes out of the front of the boat and often manages these functions when we're on the water. We're not getting any younger, and this would be a great convenience feature for us and save our backs.

-spot lock with jog would be awesome for parking over submerged brush and rock piles and exploring precisely to find that "spot on the spot". It would also reduce my blood pressure and cussing due to fighting the wind

-we don't troll that much, but at some point I'd like to take a deeper dive into iPilot and iPilot link
I hear ya. The ulterra with those features are alot more moving parts. I have a newer terova and used it extensively trolling for walleye last summer on Rainey lake solo in the mornings. I had 3 rods out and was hands free ripping lips and it was glorious letting that thing follow it's tracks. I was the dude in the camo duck boat. Got lots of looks up there on thay big water.

KurtR

WKR
Tough to beat scheels they have customer service thats top notch and I know a bunch of guys who have had problems with minkota and they get it taken care of fast or get you a new unit

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Tough to beat scheels they have customer service thats top notch and I know a bunch of guys who have had problems with minkota and they get it taken care of fast or get you a new unit
That's good to know as well. I've always had great experiences at Scheels.

Fowl Play

WKR
Sidebar, not sure if you are salt or fresh. But the trolling motor plug itself is hugely critical to a reliable system. I have had multiple failures on different types. The Minnkota MKR-28 plug is by far the best I have found and stopped all my plug related issues. I am not sure if they come standard with the new Minn-Kotas or not but worth the upgrade if they do not.

Wapiti1

WKR
I've bought three Minn Kota's from Glenn's with no issues over the last 15 years and two boats. All were refurbished year or two old motors. Latest is a 112lb Riptide Ulterra i-pilot I've had since last fall.

Jeremy