Non resident Iowa

Dlogan601

FNG
So this may be a dumb question…… if I were looking to lease land in Iowa being a non resident would I still have to draw for a non resident tag or is that draw just for public land? I think I know the answer but I haven’t found it anywhere on the web. A guy I work with has a family from Iowa and I’ve been in some contact with them and we may be working out a deal on me leasing it. Wouldn’t do me any good if I’d have to get drawn though and be paying for something I may not be able to hunt

So this may be a dumb question…… if I were looking to lease land in Iowa being a non resident would I still have to draw for a non resident tag or is that draw just for public land? I think I know the answer but I haven’t found it anywhere on the web. A guy I work with has a family from Iowa and I’ve been in some contact with them and we may be working out a deal on me leasing it. Wouldn’t do me any good if I’d have to get drawn though and be paying for something I may not be able to hunt

I’m curious as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXCO

WKR
I thought you could get a farm only tag for immediate family? But only good on your land. Is that only for residents as a second tag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yfarm

WKR
One lo tag/ property unit limited to resident owner or tenant.
Non resident goes into the draw regardless of landownership. Recent tax law changes may encourage tax outmigrators to return. Part owner of a family farm owned since mid 60s, hunt deer once every five years under the draw.

WCB

WKR
Not worth it. Unless you are fine not hunting it multiple years in a row for bowhunting. Depending on where it is you could get a MZ or shotgun tag ever other year....maybe worth it then?

A 2nd cousin of mine bought a 160 acre farm in south eastish IA with another guy. Between the two of them they have had 1 tag between the two of them in 5 years. Talk about a huge waste of money.

gabenzeke

WKR
I would also add that the days of giant bucks all over the place in Iowa are gone. They're still around, but it's nothing like it was in the late nineties or early 2000's. Just food for thought before you spend a pile of cash.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

sasquatch

WKR
I would also add that the days of giant bucks all over the place in Iowa are gone. They're still around, but it's nothing like it was in the late nineties or early 2000's. Just food for thought before you spend a pile of cash.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Nowhere is still the same as the 2000s, the past is behind us.

In 2023, Iowa still likely holds the best age class of bucks in the US on average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
Even if you own land in Iowa and are not a resident you have to draw a nonresident tag

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
^^ Iowa is changing this for non residents I believe in 2025. If you OWN not lease 80 or more acres you can qualify for a annual permit. We have owned 59 acres for the past 3 years and are still in the NR tag. It sucks, we live just across the river in Omaha and are 30 minutes from the property. Wife wants Omaha for the school district, but sooner or later we will get there. Until then, I will hunt every 3-5 years....unless another 21 acres adjacent comes up for sale.

^^ Iowa is changing this for non residents I believe in 2025. If you OWN not lease 80 or more acres you can qualify for a annual permit. We have owned 59 acres for the past 3 years and are still in the NR tag. It sucks, we live just across the river in Omaha and are 30 minutes from the property. Wife wants Omaha for the school district, but sooner or later we will get there. Until then, I will hunt every 3-5 years....unless another 21 acres adjacent comes up for sale.

There is legislation to try and get it changed, but that doesn't mean that it will be changed. I can guarantee just about anyone that lives here will be opposed to it.

sasquatch

WKR

Does the 80 have to be continuous? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
There is legislation to try and get it changed, but that doesn't mean that it will be changed. I can guarantee just about anyone that lives here will be opposed to it.
l don't think a NR should get a state wide permit, but I do think we should get an either sex permit for our property and that's it. That would be a fair compromise.