Non-stick frying pans

How long does a non-stick pan last in your home?

• That goal is way too aggressive for us

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • A few cooking sessions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One month

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Maybe a year

Votes: 48 37.2%
  • Gave up, went back to cast iron

Votes: 58 45.0%
  • Over a year

Votes: 19 14.7%

• Total voters

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If I'm the only one using them, they last a long time. If my wife uses them, they're ruined the first time she uses them. SMH I keep an Orgreenic fry pan hidden for just my use, and I've had it for probably close to 10 years. It still looks and works like new. My wife bought a pre-seasoned cast iron skillet last month because her non-stick skillets were all ruined. First time she used it, she had scrambled eggs instead of fried because they stuck like glue. Most of my general cooking is with stainless pots and enameled cast iron, but for eggs I always go to my non-stick skillet.

Hang18

FNG
Calphalon, Anolon, and cast iron. Non-stick for eggs & fish. Everything else in old and newer made cast iron.
I think the Anolon non-sticks are over 20 years old. Calphalon are 10+. Follow the "tricks" mentioned in
other post of use/care of each and all three will last a long time. That being said, the cast will last forever!
My cast irons were hijacked from my parents about 50 years ago & I'm not sure how long they had them.

Holocene

WKR
I have some nice cast iron and black steel pans, but use a Vollrath Tribute stainless frying pan for 99% of any sauteeing and egg cookery. This pan (the whole Tribute line really) is fantastic. Restaurant grade but stylish enough for households as well. They will last my entire life.

The polish on the steel cooking surface is very fine and smooth, so I can cook eggs in hot butter/oil mixture so that they do not stick, or if they do they don't stick much.

My wife gets eggs stuck all the time because she walks away and does something else. Sticking eggs means you have cooked them too long or too hot.

There is no need for nonstick pans, but they do provide some forgiveness with folks with less than perfect technique or if you aren't willing to accept a little egg stick here and there.

lamarclark09

Lil-Rokslider
Well I think it depends on the usage. The way you will use it will determine how long it will last. Because they are pretty complicated to deal with, if you think you can use them in a really careful manner then chances are that it will stay with you for a longer time.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Mixed results here but I’m feeling bullish on the pan I just got... wife hasn’t cooked in a couple weeks so now is the time to be optimistic.
Hexclad are relatively hard to destroy. They may wear out though as the ceramic coating is self sacrificing and releases silicone oil. There is also not data on the safety of silicon oil for consumption. The stuff on Teflon is really a load of BS, unless you heat you pans to 500 degrees or so it is not known to be toxic.

I buy 3 ply stainless and just scrub. But, I do use the Hexclad pain that was gifted to us.

czscout

FNG
We've been using a pressed carbon steel frying pan for years and it's the most non-stick pan I've ever tried. Much more so than cast iron and much healthier and more durable than synthetic coatings. The trick is to cook with enough oil/butter with each use and to never wash it in soap and water.

czscout

FNG
Using cast iron is definitely a bit of an art form. Once you learn it, it works great- lots of good vids on youtube demonstrating the process. I like cast iron when I want a slow diffusion of heat (cast iron is a bit porous and acts as an insulator to some degree). When I want a quick transfer of heat I prefer to use a pressed steel fry pan. For frying eggs, a pat of butter on a steel pan seems to work great- quick and easy. I clean it after by scraping (only takes a few quick passes) with a steel spatula and maybe wiping it off with a paper towel if I want to be real thorough.

Using cast iron is definitely a bit of an art form. Once you learn it, it works great- lots of good vids on youtube demonstrating the process. I like cast iron when I want a slow diffusion of heat (cast iron is a bit porous and acts as an insulator to some degree). When I want a quick transfer of heat I prefer to use a pressed steel fry pan. For frying eggs, a pat of butter on a steel pan seems to work great- quick and easy. I clean it after by scraping (only takes a few quick passes) with a steel spatula and maybe wiping it off with a paper towel if I want to be real thorough.
Agree completely, sir. :)