Nonresident Ohio Turkeys

Titan_Bow

WKR
Guys, not looking for anyone’s spot or anything, but I’m gonna be in Dayton May 13-17 for work, so thought I might come out a few days beforehand and jump in the woods for a couple of days.
There’s a few really small public pieces somewhat close to Dayton, but I’d figure that late in the season those would probably be pressured out. My thought was to go down to Shawnee State Forest as there seems to be enough land down there to perhaps harbor some birds from too much pressure.
Anyone have any experience chasing turkeys in the Shawnee? Anyone in Ohio got any advise? What’s the pressure like? Is it worth messing with any of those smaller parcels of public land or should I stick to big woods to find somewhat unpressured birds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baz77

WKR
Your not going to find any unpressured birds on public in Ohio ….but they are still killable. I wouldn't mess with any of the smaller pieces of public that late but shawnee is big country for Ohio..I'm sure you'll be able to get on a bird or two.

160andup

Lil-Rokslider
I have been going down for opener for several years. Since it went to a Saturday opener the pressure is insane. Probably a much better experience later in the season like you say but those big woods get a lot of pressure from day 1.

TWoch

FNG
I’m heading down to scout Friday. I had figured high elevation accesses would be crowded. 65k acres is a lot of territory to be as crowded as Tranquility up the road. Drove around that place last year opening weekend and there was one lot without vehicles, probably 40 total. I was hoping the 400’ elevation changes would weed out the crowd…