Noob Fly Fishing Equipt question

It's been a continuous learning curve that started in 1999. Originally I used 800gr lines on 13 and 14 wts to sink a fly (line delivers the fly...no jigging or bait) to the bottom and let the current take it out along the bottom and I start stripping line in and halibut hit it. Been through some other techniques and now I'm working on chumming fish to the top and actually fishing higher percentage, shallower depths with feeding fish.

Here's my first one from probably 99 or 00.

Wow! If I get up to AK in a few years, I'm going to have to try to bribe you with some micro-brews to get you to let me hang out with you for a day. What are you using for a reel?

kodiakfly

WKR
Wow! If I get up to AK in a few years, I'm going to have to try to bribe you with some micro-brews to get you to let me hang out with you for a day. What are you using for a reel?

I use Tibor reels. Everglades for salmon. Riptides for kings and offshore casting. Gulfstreams on the 13s. Pacific on the 16.

Attachments

• halibut-flesh.jpg
    halibut-flesh.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 18
  • rigs.jpg
    rigs.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 19
OP
Where's Bruce?
Well it took awhile but I found a flyrod/reel combo I bought over 20 yrs ago. The rod has nothing on it to identify the mfr, just says 7 wt, 8' and the reel is a South Bend Finalist. The rod appears to be a very soft fiberglass (2 pc) and the reel is dinky. About the size of my palm.

kodiakfly

WKR
8' 7 wt would make a fine trout rod. Maybe a bit on the heavy side for little trout, but would do big browns well. The only issue would be the packability of the rod; its length and weight. But don't discount fiberglass. A lot of people are actually returning to glass for it's smooth feel.

gmajor

WKR
Try a tenkera Rod set up. It's great for backpacking

I use a tenkara rig for the colorado san Juan's and did well this year

The rig weighs 5 oz and I use a nice rod with standard furled line and tenkara style flies ... Nothing fancy and not to much thinking.

I did well catching fish with this setup and smoked a lot of cutthroats

I'm really looking at a tenkara setup. I'm a hunter with little experience fishing, but I find myself wanting to get some trout when scouting or backpacking in the offseason. Seems nice and clean, not too much to worry about.

OP
Where's Bruce?
I'm really looking at a tenkara setup. I'm a hunter with little experience fishing, but I find myself wanting to get some trout when scouting or backpacking in the offseason. Seems nice and clean, not too much to worry about.

A 4pc spinning outfit and UL reel works dandy.

Ate pretty damn good.

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
I don't often eat trout but when I do, brook trout on a stick with salt and lemon pepper over the fire is the way to go.

Have not fished the Sierras, or been there for that matter, but have done a lot of backpack mountain fly fishing. If you carry two a 3 and 5 weight seems to work well. Don't know if you have good hopper there fishing in late summer. The big lies need a heavier line.

The 3 weight can handle most mountain fish but the 5 weight does big water and hoppers and other large flies better. I am fortunate to have a pair of 8'3 inch 5 piece Scott Gs. I need to get into bamboo rods though, expensive but very relaxing to cast.