Northwest Montana Elk

Texas89

FNG
First timer here!

So I hunted southwest Montana two years ago but my buddy is moving to Kalispell so I'll be flying up from Texas to hunt Northwest Montana this year. I've read the elk population isn't as dense as the southwest Montana but there is much less hunting pressure in the northwest due to it being a little more rugged. Just wanted to toss out a line and see if I could get any input from someone who may have hunted up near Kalispell. (Flathead National Forest, Kootenai, Libby, Thompson Falls even) Looking to bag my first elk or muley, gonna pass on whitetail because they grow like weeds here in South Texas.

Any info is appreciated!

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
My advice is to drive south. I grew up in nw Montana and don’t know if I could be paid to hunt that stuff again. There are a few elk left but wolves have done a real number on the elk up there. There are a few more elk towards Libby but as far Flathead National forest I would go somewhere else. Good luck

Again going to reiterate what’s been stated already, I’d go somewhere else, maybe back down to SW Montana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots and lots of hunters in NW MT. Maybe not quite as many as dillon but thats probably because the woods are so thick you cant see the people. Couple that with wolves on every ridge, grizzlies, and lots of lions and really tuff country and it doesnt sound to pleasant. All that said, i get into elk consistently in several spots within a half hour of Kalispell .

OP
T

Texas89

FNG
Thanks for the feedback/advice y'all. The nice thing is I've got plenty of time to plan, just looking to spend more time hunting versus driving around Montana. Luckily my buddy is moving up there in a couple weeks so I'll have a personal scouter up there for the next 6 months. Thanks again!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve hunted in the northwest corner for the last 15 years around trout creek and noxon. This country is tough and dense, yes elk numbers are lower but if you really want to work and see incredible country you can have an opportunity at a great bull and very seldom will you run into anyone once you are a couple miles in.

My advice is to drive south. I grew up in nw Montana and don’t know if I could be paid to hunt that stuff again. There are a few elk left but wolves have done a real number on the elk up there. There are a few more elk towards Libby but as far Flathead National forest I would go somewhere else. Good luck
South as in Colorado is nice... No wolves, no griz and lots of elk! ;-)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Shrek

WKR
I’ve hunted in the northwest corner for the last 15 years around trout creek and noxon. This country is tough and dense, yes elk numbers are lower but if you really want to work and see incredible country you can have an opportunity at a great bull and very seldom will you run into anyone once you are a couple miles in.

Ross is spot on. It’s really tough country to hunt ! If you don’t know the area and don’t have a lot of elk hunting experience it will be frustrating. It’s beautiful country and there’s elk there. I hope your friend has plenty of time to scout and learn the area. There’s a bunch of burns from the fires a couple of years ago. Burns are a good place to start.