Northwoods old school whitetail

Scottyboy

WKR
I'm in MN, and I wouldn't bother trying to hunt deer in northern MN.
Will echo this as a MN res. For what you are looking for, it’s not here. You would laugh, or maybe cry, if you would see what we consider a “big chunk” of public land…especially coming from the west.

If you want to do northern MN for anything I would recommend bear and fishing, both can be very good.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Not trying to be a party pooper, but I am from WI and am part owner of a large chunk of property in the North Central part of the state (Price County). There are some very good reasons that I don't deer hunt there anymore.

Have you considered NE WA or Northern ID?

We used to have a place in Maine. Deer densities are low, but given the latitude, the Bucks can get huge.
You won't see a lot, but what you see will be impressive. First Maine buck I saw in the wild, I thought it was a chestnut horse that had gotten loose.

Northeastern Bucks

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
i would say if you’re looking for any sort of quality buck on public land in Northern WI, you will have a disappointing hunt. If you want to just go hunt and shoot a buck you could have a great time

RMM

WKR
If I were looking to do a hunt like that, I would head to the Adirondacks and hunt them like Larry Benoit did. If you've never heard of him, look him up. He was famous for snow tracking big whitetails.