Nose to string

Scottiem

Lil-Rokslider
Just wondering how many of y'all shoot without your nose touching the string when at anchor? All the bows I've shot have all been shorter ATA bows (32") and I've always used the nose to string as a second anchor. Well I've been trying to perfect my form to improve accuracy, but if I keep my head vertical (no dipping to the string) my nose is a good distance from the string. I'm shooting 29.25" draw out of a Bear Motive 6. Since I started trying this out my arrows are all over the place. I at least held decent groups when leaning my head down. Anyways, I want to learn to shoot with proper form but understand why a lot of guys are shooting longer ATA bows. As much as I would love an excuse to buy a new bow😉 I'm hoping to figure out a way to make this work. Any suggestions?

Its all about consistency. For me I like to touch my nose because its consistent combined with my anchor position and peed alignment with sight housing. I'm positive I do not have perfect form but the form I use is absolutely repeatable shot after shot for me. Try adjusting to not touching for awhile and if that doesn't work you can always go back.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is like golf, do what produces the beat results for you with your specific gear. Don't let what you perceive to be correct make the final decision.

There are certain guidelines, but it isn't an exact science. Not every top archer shoots the exact same.

OP
Scottiem

Scottiem

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the advice guys….I'm gonna play some more and see if I can get the hang of it. I'm trying to avoid a kisser though cause I don't like the idea of anything being at the corner of my mouth. I think the first thing I need to do is hit up a pro shop in Denver or Colorado Springs and have someone check out my draw length and make sure Im in the right area. I never measured the draw on my other bows (just slapped the 29" mod in), but I seem to have way more pin float with this one. I've tuned it with the top cam touching a 1/16" before the bottom, just like my hoyt, so I'm guessing its a draw length issue.

ontarget7

WKR
Thanks for the advice guys….I'm gonna play some more and see if I can get the hang of it. I'm trying to avoid a kisser though cause I don't like the idea of anything being at the corner of my mouth. I think the first thing I need to do is hit up a pro shop in Denver or Colorado Springs and have someone check out my draw length and make sure Im in the right area. I never measured the draw on my other bows (just slapped the 29" mod in), but I seem to have way more pin float with this one. I've tuned it with the top cam touching a 1/16" before the bottom, just like my hoyt, so I'm guessing its a draw length issue.

You could shoot me some text pics of you at full draw from a side profile and directly behind you at full draw.

Excessive pin float can be caused by numerous things, holding weight, cam rotation/cam synch and this is not always at the same time depending on the cam system, draw length etc. You can also be stuck low on target and have a hard time raising up to the target when the things mentioned above aren't right.

joehunter8301

Lil-Rokslider
Like rosinbag said its similar to golf or baseball. You got an ugly swing but knock a home run every time but ppl say it's not good form? Consistency is key if you can shoot lights out without "textbook" form keep doing it. If you think you can improve try what works best for u. With a longer draw an short ata the string angle is gonna be more severe sometimes it might not be possible to touch your nose unless you anchor lower. Bottom line go with what's comfy an produces consistently