Not so new guy from MO

woods89

WKR
Been a member here for a while and even posted a few times but never got around to doing an intro.

I'm 26 yrs old, happily married with one little 2yr old daughter, and work in the construction industry. I started lurking here a couple years ago because I want to do a western backpack hunt at some point in the next few years. Now I'm also a diehard public land whitetail and turkey hunter here in south central MO and after a while the light started to click on a little. We have some good size blocks of public land here and I started thinking about using some of these strategies to get away from other hunters. I generally don't have a problem with other hunters during bow season but rifle season and turkey season can be a different story. So my wife and I have been recreationally backpacking for the last couple years a little and I did my first solo overnighter this spring for the turkey opener. I killed a great bird about 2 miles in opening morning and the hook was set.

My whitetail hunting is a little non-conventional in that I hunt out of a tree saddle( last year was my first season with it) and never hunt the same tree twice in a season. I scout spots in late winter or early spring and come in with sticks and my saddle and set up according to prevailing conditions. My tree gear weighs less that 15lbs so I think it will mesh with backpack hunting fairly well. I don't have to carry the optics you guys out west do because a lot of places you can only see 60-100 yds. I did some backcountry scouting this spring and found a lot of sign beyond a mile or so from the trailhead in several places so I'm enthused!

I still hope to do a western trip at some point. I'm hoping my experience locally will help me out when I do. My gear is nothing special and my pack runs a little heavy but that won't keep me out of the woods!

I've learned a lot from this site and hope I can contribute a little.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome woods great intro. I'm opposite an make the trip to Missouri every November for whitetail. Missouri conversation is one of the greatest management departments in this country. Wish Utah would take a few pointers

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
Live2hunt, I'm in Mountain Grove, about an hour and a half southwest of you.

realunlucky, I agree, we have a lot of good opportunities! I also love the amount of public land we have here in the southern part of the state. Maybe not like some western states, but we have a lot of acreage to roam around on and if your willing to walk, most of the time you have it to yourself.

Jjamesdean

Lil-Rokslider
Woods89, what are the chances of finding another Mtn Grover on here! Especially someone I think I know!

Last edited:

swmoelk

FNG
Welcome I'm in Springfield and did my first western hunt last year. You're definitely in the right place to learn.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's quite a few of us in MO. Did a turkey hunt in the spring this year though I didn't make it due to some last minute logistical changes.