Nothern California (Trinity Alps) optics: should I upgrade my Leica Trinovid 10x42 to a higher magnification binos, if used with a spotting scope?

alex8023

FNG
I am a beginner blacktail deer hunter.

Based on my guided hunt experiences, I am planning to glass up to 800-1000 yards in the area where I will be hunting (public land in Trinity Alps, California).

I already have a Leica Trinovid 10x42mm binos, and I am planning to purchase a good quality spotting scope (Leica Televid 25-50x65mm or comparable) and a tripod for my planned blacktail deer/black bear backpacking hunts.

Should I plan on upgrading my Leica Trinovid 10x42mm to a higher magnification binoculars (12x? 18x?), or will I be fine with my 10x Leica, switching between it and a higher magnification spotting scope on a tripod?

Thank you!

I’d keep the 10s personally. When you put 10s on a tripod it’s a huge difference. If you didn’t already have them I might say 12s but since you do I’d use those. 10s can still be used hand holding them, it gets tougher with 12s to hand hold. On the spotter side, unless I’m wanting to count tines way out there I don’t pack my spotter. I can tell if a buck has a good frame and is worth going after from a looong way out with my 10s on a tripod. For me it’s not usually worth the weight to pack my spotter.

amassi

WKR
^agree im done packing spotters unless in a big group and we can share the load
10s on a tripod are sufficient
Now that we’ve saved you money on a spotter you can upgrade your leicas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

alex8023

FNG
@ReddingArcher and @amassi : thank you for some very good tips!

From my limited glassing experiences in the Trinity Alps area, I speculated that a quality spotting scope with 25-50x magnification may be used to glass suspicious area (shaded areas or the areas partially blocked by the tree or a rock) and to help spotting the deer there.

Am I right that your experience in the Trinity Alps area (many debris, stones, rocks, standing and fallen trees possibly camouflaging the deer) is that the deer can still be spotted at up to 800-1000 yards with a good 10-12x binocular on a tripod, even if visible only partially?

amassi

WKR
Absolutely - 10s off the tripod are sufficient
You’ll also have significantly less eye strain and be more effective glassing
I would sell your current trinovids and use your spotter budget to buy some alpha 10s - swaro NL pures, Leica noctovids, zeiss sf or swaro els.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt the same area. I have spotting scopes and only use them from the truck, not worth the weight into a wilderness area. I've also had good 12s and never warmed up to them when still hunting. I've finally landed on compact 8x with 15s in my pack for glassing. 12s and 10s are both great but I also still hunt during the day, I don't like a harness when doing it and the compacts work great for that stuff and are nice on a strap

I would sell your current trinovids and use your spotter budget to buy some alpha 10s - swaro NL pures, Leica noctovids, zeiss sf or swaro els.

This is the way.

I've got a nice, lightweight spotter that I take with me, but it almost always ends up staying in the truck in favor of the fancy 10x binos on a tripod.

Less eye strain, less gear to carry with you, less weight, and you can tell from the binos if it's worth pursuing or not. Also, much better FOV on the 10x than most, if not all of the lightweight, small front exit aperture spotters.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My range finding Meopta 8x50s on a tripod is all I’d bring for the trinity alps. Cool country there and I’ve been lucky enough to kill some dandy hybrid bucks over the years in there.

It’s a very busy area with hikers and hunters but you will find deer everywhere in there if your patient and learn to glass the correct terrain.

Yoteassasin

Lil-Rokslider
My range finding Meopta 8x50s on a tripod is all I’d bring for the trinity alps. Cool country there and I’ve been lucky enough to kill some dandy hybrid bucks over the years in there.

It’s a very busy area with hikers and hunters but you will find deer everywhere in there if your patient and learn to glass the correct terrain.
There are no hybrids in the trinitys

Yoteassasin

Lil-Rokslider

100% agree the spotter stays at the truck or is packed as a squad get the best 10x you can afford and spend more time out there