November Hunting Spree

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Back at airport and starting the travel to NM this morning. I’ll be in camp 12 hours from now, with bad weather in the forecast for the first two days of my nephew’s hunt.

Reactions: RCL
OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I can’t believe we just went three for three on bucks, and each buck was bigger than the last.

My nephew was on his first hunt ever. He and my brother (not a hunter) flew all the way from PA to meet me in NM for his youth hunt. It is an amazing hunt, and the highest chance to see a true trophy.

Day 1: we saw over 200 deer. Probably 20+ bucks, almost all forkies and spikes. We did see and pass on one small 4x3 and a small 3x3. We chased but didn’t get a shot at a medium 4x4 - maybe a 145 deer. Nothing huge, but great for a first deer. I was kind of bummed that we didn’t get a glimpse of more mature deer.

Day 2: I got him up extra early for a hike into the same canyon. We had seen sooooo many does and small bucks that I was convinced that if we keep on working that canyon, we would turn up a big buck. We were on our glassing point at shooting light and 20 minutes later - there he was. The second I saw the buck, my reaction was immediate. “Get the rifle set up and shoot that buck, NOW.” A few minutes later, the biggest buck of the trip had hit the dirt. Unreal that my nephew, on his first hunt ever, had killed a bigger buck than I had ever seen with a tag in my pocket. I told him it’s all downhill from here! The mass on this buck is incredible. The pictures don’t do him justice. He’s a B&C buck, and a beautiful mature deer.

IMG_3931.jpegIMG_3939.jpegIMG_3938.jpegIMG_3976.jpeg

Tahoe1305

WKR
I can’t believe we just went three for three on bucks, and each buck was bigger than the last.

My nephew was on his first hunt ever. He and my brother (not a hunter) flew all the way from PA to meet me in NM for his youth hunt. It is an amazing hunt, and the highest chance to see a true trophy.

Day 1: we saw over 200 deer. Probably 20+ bucks, almost all forkies and spikes. We did see and pass on one small 4x3 and a small 3x3. We chased but didn’t get a shot at a medium 4x4 - maybe a 145 deer. Nothing huge, but great for a first deer. I was kind of bummed that we didn’t get a glimpse of more mature deer.

Day 2: I got him up extra early for a hike into the same canyon. We had seen sooooo many does and small bucks that I was convinced that if we keep on working that canyon, we would turn up a big buck. We were on our glassing point at shooting light and 20 minutes later - there he was. The second I saw the buck, my reaction was immediate. “Get the rifle set up and shoot that buck, NOW.” A few minutes later, the biggest buck of the trip had hit the dirt. Unreal that my nephew, on his first hunt ever, had killed a bigger buck than I had ever seen with a tag in my pocket. I told him it’s all downhill from here! The mass on this buck is incredible. The pictures don’t do him justice. He’s a B&C buck, and a beautiful mature deer.

View attachment 629672View attachment 629673View attachment 629674View attachment 629675
Would you go away already with all your damn mule deer stories ;)

Congrats.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
It snowed while we processed and packed out. The roads turned to gumbo faster than I thought possible. We almost didn’t make it back to camp. We creeped in 4 low and went for several wild rides and did our best to keep it on the road. We made it back and we are on our way back to VA and PA.IMG_3988.jpeg

Burt_Niel

FNG
That's a wicked first buck! Congratulations on tagging out 3 for 3! Sweet trip!

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

View attachment 629672View attachment 629673View attachment 629674View attachment 629675
oh my!!!!!

you guys done good!!!

wow on that buck

That’s unreal. That is so cool. Congratulations!