Odds my July NWT dall hunt happens?

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
Well, This was my post nearly 1.5 years ago. I can say, I'm confident my 2020 hunt is not happening; but, my 2022 pushed date is a very high probability assuming I can drop my Covid 20 among other body breakdowns!

Bones24

FNG
I'm a little late here, but curious how access into NWT worked out for US hunters in '21 season. Looks like a few threads died in late summer as the season approached. I have a tripped booked for '22. I'm sure protocols will continue to evolve but any recent travel tips or advice appreciated. Thanks.

There were US hunters in the Mackenzies in mid Sept when I was up there. Their Norman Wells accommodations were a pain otherwise no issues that I heard. NW was in lockdown due to a local outbreak at that time.

buzzy

WKR
I was up there in the NWT in September. My outfitter had arranged for an early am flight back to Norman Wells where I was at the airport in time to catch the flight to Edmonton. So I had no need to stay in Norman Wells either coming or going from camp.

Once in Edmonton I took a at home Covid test in my hotel room that was accepted by the airlines. The negative result was uploaded as part of my online check in process and really simple so entrance to the US was no problem.

The trophies were not allowed to travel back with the hunters because all the fish and game offices were closed in Norman Wells. The outfitter arranged for them to be inspected at the end of his season and then shipped all of them to an expediter in Edmonton where I was then responsible for sending them to my taxidermist.

My guess is things haven’t changed much since September.

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
Well, 2 years later my 2020 hunt is looking pretty good for 2022. After being pushed out, the excitement is starting to build. My boss approved the time off - 2 weeks. Canadian North was great about applying my ticket credit to an August flight and I'm starting to think about getting in shape, dropping weight and the other details. Sheep, Caribou and Moose...my trip of a life time is just around the corner.

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
Ill be up in August with Gana River finally for sheep and caribou. Still haven’t let myself get too excited yet after two years of let downs. Ill let myself relax when I finally get there.

Reactions: OMB

Scottf270

WKR
Guess I'm outta the mix. I prefer not to take the "jab" and just told Jim Lancaster at Nahanni to cancel me.

Been up there twice for moose and the sheep hunt was with a friend and his son. It was kinda my retirement present to myself. Could possibly rebook if things change but prices are way up and I may just do a couple smaller hunts here in the states and call it a life.

Have a great hunt guys and take lots of pictures.

buzzy

WKR
Guess I'm outta the mix. I prefer not to take the "jab" and just told Jim Lancaster at Nahanni to cancel me.

Been up there twice for moose and the sheep hunt was with a friend and his son. It was kinda my retirement present to myself. Could possibly rebook if things change but prices are way up and I may just do a couple smaller hunts here in the states and call it a life.

Have a great hunt guys and take lots of pictures.
How much money are you out of for canceling?

Scottf270

WKR
Nothing. Known Jim for 11 years. Hunted there twice. I called him late in 19 and got him to squeeze me in for 20 to hunt with my friends. Covid just starting. He said let's see where this goes before you send money.

OMB

WKR
Ill be up in August with Gana River finally for sheep and caribou. Still haven’t let myself get too excited yet after two years of let downs. Ill let myself relax when I finally get there.

I'll be heading up to Arctic Red late July for sheep/caribou, I definitely feel the same way after originally booking for 2020. Being less than 6 months out sure makes for more motivation to get over to the gym every evening.

Stan Simpson
Eric, Who is Stan Simpson with now? He sold his area to Canol Outifitters in 2017 and it's been managed by Glenda Groat since then? Just curious as I understand Stan and family had a tourist business but wasn't hunting? Thanks!

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
Eric, Who is Stan Simpson with now? He sold his area to Canol Outifitters in 2017 and it's been managed by Glenda Groat since then? Just curious as I understand Stan and family had a tourist business but wasn't hunting? Thanks!
My bad on the last name - covid brain - I meant Stan Stevens MMO.

Last edited:

Bones24

FNG
Stan Stevens, MMO
I'm booked for sheep with MMO during the first two weeks of Aug. First sheep hunted. Excited but a little leery of of travel arrangements still. Hopefully things smooth out thru the summer. I would certainly appreciate any info you learn on travel prep, accommodations, etc. while planning. Happy to share the same.

buzzy

WKR
I'm booked for sheep with MMO during the first two weeks of Aug. First sheep hunted. Excited but a little leery of of travel arrangements still. Hopefully things smooth out thru the summer. I would certainly appreciate any info you learn on travel prep, accommodations, etc. while planning. Happy to share the same.
I hunted with Stan last September right after they opened the border. Stan will have you answer a shelter in place plan that is mostly filled out for you. You then turn it into an agency electronically to get approval a few weeks before your trip. Get a PCR test 2 days ahead of time. I did 2 days in case of flight delays vs the 3 day limit. I also paid for a test to get the results back within 24 hrs. Load those into ArriveCAN and when other docs are loaded when you check in for your flight on line.

I stayed at the Coast Hotel in Edmonton. Very nice place. Vancouver air port sucks. They didn’t get my luggage loaded in time on both the way up and back. Even though I had 4 hr layover one way and 5 the other. But I did get my gear before heading to Norma Wells. One guy did not and he had to get gear from everyone in camp to make it out. So make sure you wear your hunting boots on the plane.

We never stayed in Norma Wells but it was locked down. Stan got us back to town in time to catch the flight back to Edmonton. The government agency to check the animals was closed so Stan kept all the trophies till the end of the year and then shipped them out via an exporter.

All the guides are great. Stan doesn’t plan things out in advance so be prepared for some confusion in camp but he makes it work. I took an at home Covid test with a Zoom call to get my negative test to get back home all from the hotel room. It’s simple and easy.

I’d say be prepared for longer shots. Mine was 600 yards but some guys shot at 200-300. I think 2 others out of the 7 of us has long shots. You will be at the main camp and it has wifi. He then flies everyone out to spike camps. I was at the lake camp that he doesn’t open till the first 2 weeks of September. But I’ve hunted twice which him so have been at both camps. You will have a great time and kill a big ram. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited: