Ode to the commode

I have shamelessly gotten into the habit of building stone toilets in particularly stunning locations in the sheep hills. My first trip out chasing sheep I made due leaning on a rock and bearing with the discomfort of the previously unnoticed jagged edges while I hurriedly handled my business. One day glassing from a high valley overlooking 3 massive cirque glaciers I felt a little pressure in the gut and thought there had to be a better way.

With nothing better to do and a nice warm sun beating down I grabbed my "go kit" and bino pack then plundered off toward a nearby rock garden. Rocks are plentiful in the sheep hills and it didn't take long to arrange several strategically in a nice semi circle that provided close air support cradling my cheeks while I expelled the orange virtue that is 5 days of an all mountain house diet. Comfortably looking over those glaciers sure beat any fancy flush toilet and hunting rag combo! I was even able to glass some distant ewes and lambs before taking care of the final paperwork.

Last year I had a crazy cow caribou run right up on me and circle at 50 yards while I was taking a dump in a hastily fashioned john in an old glacial moraine. I had her totally puzzled by waving a piece of TP in the wind. This year I left the tent for my morning constitutional and grabbed the standard orange go kit and bino pack. I threw together a nice throne and settled in to enjoy the morning sun and see if any new sheep had wondered into our valley. As I surveyed the kingdom my eyes came to rest on a white shape only 448 yards away. I reached for the binos and low and behold there was a full curl ram! I was caught literally with my pants down!! I managed to handle what needed handling without spooking it then went and rousted my hunting partner and we took off in long johns and camp shoes up the mountain. An hour later a single shot rang out and my first ram was harvested.

Most productive crap I ever had!

OP
T
View from a poopin stool overlooking glaciers
eju9ezyn.jpg

Obligatory self deprecating Rokslide photo showing me in a less than glamorous position...
2011BrooksSheep095-1.jpg

Looking back down on the gravel bar where I left the remnants of the prior days sheep rib dinner while spotting today's meal.
yhehezan.jpg

Last edited:

colonel00

WKR
Ya know, this does make perfect sense. Being a long time waterfowl hunter, it is a long running joke that there won't be a duck in the sky until you set your gun down and turn your back to take a piss. I guess for bigger game you just need to be tied up in a more intricate endeavor.