Official Montana 2024 Draw Thread

What season will you be hunting this year?

• Archery

Votes: 44 31.2%
  • Rifle

Votes: 38 27.0%
  • Both

Votes: 59 41.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When system was originally opened up I had drawn the general combo (2 Points), was pending for permit. Then after the first system crash when you were able to login for a bit I was then pending for both again. As of current it's showing my current items held as having both the permit and the general combo.

I mentioned on RokSlide recently that despite the complexity of Montana's draw system , I think it's the best in the west.

I do wish they'd make one change. I wish the 25% of tags set aside for zero point holders was set aside for "any other" point holders. Or completely random. That way us 1-pointers could have some fun too.
You can avoid the 1 point issue by either not buying a preference point on zero points or buying a preference point with 1 point being held. That way you go in with 0 or 2 points. Your chance of drawing would of been roughly 60-70% either way instead of 0% with 1 point.

Yes and no, could’ve drawn a released tag
Great point, I guess we are at that point in the day.

Do released tags go randomly to any person who didn’t draw in the first pass? Or else I would expect them to go to any 2 point folks who didn’t draw first

Great point, I guess we are at that point in the day.

Do released tags go randomly to any person who didn’t draw in the first pass? Or else I would expect them to go to any 2 point folks who didn’t draw first
2021 my entire group drew released tags with 1 point

Via the app earlier this morning I had a big game combo tag. Now I have a general deer tag which makes sense because I chose to refund the elk side of things if I did not draw limited elk.

I think Newberg said in his video on the draw that if you don’t draw in the first round, then you go to a released tag round and draw again and so forth.

You can avoid the 1 point issue by either not buying a preference point on zero points or buying a preference point with 1 point being held. That way you go in with 0 or 2 points. Your chance of drawing would of been roughly 60-70% either way instead of 0% with 1 point.

My understanding is if apply with 0 points, I cannot buy a preference point during the points only period. Is this incorrect?

I drew last year (2023) with 2 points.
So the options seem to be:

2024: Don't apply. Buy a point later in the year. (No chance to hunt)
2025: Apply and buy point (2 pts). (Good chance to hunt).

2024: Apply and buy point (1 pt). (No chance to hunt).

FWP Preference Points

My understanding is if apply with 0 points, I cannot buy a preference point during the points only period. Is this incorrect?

You are correct. If you elect to not purchase a preference point when you apply for the draw, you cannot go back and buy one during the points only period.

Pretty sure that is correct. I am in the same boat, I applied with 0 points, so if I don't draw I go into next years draw with 0 again, or I buy the point and go in with 1 and do not hunt.

Back