Official Montana 2024 Draw Thread

What season will you be hunting this year?

• Archery

Votes: 44 31.2%
  • Rifle

Votes: 38 27.0%
  • Both

Votes: 59 41.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fatlander

WKR
Yeah I remember that, certain people in parties were getting released tags while the rest of the party wasn’t. That was BS.

That said I think they were going to higher point holders first. I don’t recall any 1 point holders getting released tags, but I could be wrong.

Yes, some of the released tags did go to folks with less than 2 points last year while there were folks with 2 that didn’t draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erict

WKR
Yeah I remember that, certain people in parties were getting released tags while the rest of the party wasn’t...

This might explain it - from last year. Worth noting that PP are zeroed out as well:

2023 General - Big Game Combo - Successful Released/Retained License Definitions​

Successful Drawing Types:Explanation:What happened to my party and my preference points?
GENERAL BIG GAME COMBO (ELK+DEER) (RELEASED)You were unsuccessful in the initial drawing for a big game combination license. However, you were successful in drawing a released big game combination license from the pool of licenses that were returned after the initial drawing.

Per 87-2-511(6)(a), MCA, a person who applied for a big game combination license and an elk permit is unsuccessful in drawing the elk permit, they may choose to return their combination license. This allows the department to issue this big game combination license to another applicant who was unsuccessful in the initial drawing.
* If your party number is shown in parentheses after the released combination license, then your entire party was successful in receiving a released license. If not, then your party was separated based on the individual refund selection choices in their applications.

* You were successful in drawing a license and your preference points will be set to zero.
GENERAL ELK COMBO (RELEASED)You were unsuccessful in the initial drawing for an elk combination license. However, you were successful in drawing a released elk combination license from the pool of licenses that were returned after the initial drawing.

Per 87-2-511(6)(a), MCA, if a person who applied for a big game combination license and an elk permit is unsuccessful in drawing the elk permit, they may choose to retain the deer portion of their combination license. This allows the department to issue this as a deer combination license. The elk portion of this license can then be released to another applicant as an elk combination license.

A person who applied for an elk combination license and an elk permit who is unsuccessful in drawing their elk permit may choose to return their elk combination license. This allows the department to issue this elk combination license to another applicant who was unsuccessful in the initial drawing.
* If your party number is shown in parentheses after the released combination license, then your entire party was successful in receiving a released license. If not, then your party was separated based on the individual refund selection choices in their applications.

* You were successful in drawing a license and your preference points will be set to zero.
GENERAL DEER COMBO (RETAINED)Per 87-2-511(6)(a), MCA, you applied for a big game combination license and an elk permit, and you were unsuccessful in drawing the elk permit. In your application, you choose to retain the deer portion of the combination license for a 10% fee. This is issued as a deer combination license. * If your party number is shown in parentheses after the retained combination license, then your entire party was successful in receiving a retained license. If not, then your party was separated based on the individual refund selection choices in their applications.

Ten Bears

WKR
Weird things happen with the released tags. Last year people in parties drew released tags, but no one else in their party did.

@Ten Bears does your tag say (Released) next to it when you look it up here?

I does not mention it being a “released” tag when looking it up this way or through my normal login.

I’ll call them when it settles down a little to see if I can get some clarity.

CB4

WKR
Somehow my buddy and I drew released tags with a 1.5 point average. In 2023 it was a 0% chance of drawing. Must have been a lot less people applying in the 2+ points pool. We were commited to going in 2025.

Fowl Play

WKR
This might explain it - from last year. Worth noting that PP are zeroed out as well:

2023 General - Big Game Combo - Successful Released/Retained License Definitions​

Successful Drawing Types:Explanation:What happened to my party and my preference points?
GENERAL BIG GAME COMBO (ELK+DEER) (RELEASED)You were unsuccessful in the initial drawing for a big game combination license. However, you were successful in drawing a released big game combination license from the pool of licenses that were returned after the initial drawing.

Per 87-2-511(6)(a), MCA, a person who applied for a big game combination license and an elk permit is unsuccessful in drawing the elk permit, they may choose to return their combination license. This allows the department to issue this big game combination license to another applicant who was unsuccessful in the initial drawing.

GENERAL ELK COMBO (RELEASED)You were unsuccessful in the initial drawing for an elk combination license. However, you were successful in drawing a released elk combination license from the pool of licenses that were returned after the initial drawing.

Per 87-2-511(6)(a), MCA, if a person who applied for a big game combination license and an elk permit is unsuccessful in drawing the elk permit, they may choose to retain the deer portion of their combination license. This allows the department to issue this as a deer combination license. The elk portion of this license can then be released to another applicant as an elk combination license.

A person who applied for an elk combination license and an elk permit who is unsuccessful in drawing their elk permit may choose to return their elk combination license. This allows the department to issue this elk combination license to another applicant who was unsuccessful in the initial drawing.

GENERAL DEER COMBO (RETAINED)Per 87-2-511(6)(a), MCA, you applied for a big game combination license and an elk permit, and you were unsuccessful in drawing the elk permit. In your application, you choose to retain the deer portion of the combination license for a 10% fee. This is issued as a deer combination license.* If your party number is shown in parentheses after the retained combination license, then your entire party was successful in receiving a retained license. If not, then your party was separated based on the individual refund selection choices in their applications.

Thanks, was searching for this, but couldn't find it. What document or link is this?

It doesn't specify if the released tags are given out in a true random fashion, but I feel like it has to be. People with 1 PP last year got released tags, and that should not have been possible if it was PP weighted -- as many people with 2 PP did not get a tag. Considering it also breaks up parties....

Edit: Just cause I was curious I called FWP. Lady I talked to said the Released tag draw is "supposed" to be PP weighted like the main draw, but she has had several people over the years call in confused on why they got a tag with 1 PP. So... maybe their draw format has technical issues. Not surprising :ROFLMAO:

If that's true... then the stats they put out every year are technically wrong. 1 PP might have a .25% chance of drawing or something.

Last edited:

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
Edit: Just cause I was curious I called FWP. Lady I talked to said the Released tag draw is "supposed" to be PP weighted like the main draw, but she has had several people over the years call in confused on why they got a tag with 1 PP. So... maybe their draw format has technical issues. Not surprising :ROFLMAO:

If that's true... then the stats they put out every year are technically wrong. 1 PP might have a .25% chance of drawing or something.

In 2019 I drew a released tag. Called because I didn’t know what that meant. The lady said that everyone who didn’t draw goes into a random drawing for the returned tags.

I think with MT you’ll get a different answer from everyone you talk to