Oh my achin' back

Okay, so I went and got all the "right" stuff. Kifara DT1, longhunter lids, pullouts, WM 1lb sleeping bag, woobie, insulated pad, UL waders, minimal clothes, 2lbs/day in food for 7 days, plus the Jetboil, sidearm, solar charger, fishing tackle and bear spray. without water I'm at friggin' 69lbs and the pack is completely full. I am contemplating dumping some luxury items like trail mix and jerky, a 2lb chair but wondered if any of you do week long alpine trout trips. If so, what's your rig weigh for a week long BP trip? Maybe I'm in the ball park and just had unrealistic expectations. Thought I could come in at 60lbs with 3L hydration bladder.

OP
Where's Bruce?
I wish I had the time but I'm leaving tomorrow and have a million things to do. Just looking for the average weight carried by the trout crowd. This is my first alpine trout trip to see how elevation affects me and to try out some new gear. Also a proactive weight loss plan. <g>

I'll at 44 pounds for a ten day trip with my archery gear. No water included in that weight.

nowhere near that, my trip was 5 days so minus a bit for food weight. I didn't take a chair. used a piece of zlite pad just like I do when glassing. when I go again I will dump the waders because I barely used them. handgun not needed although I assume your taking it for 2 legged creatures instead of 4. id assume your weight is made of tackle. a couple spinners, spoons, . I was around 40-45 for 5 days with a HEAVY syn bag and a fairly bulky shelter. I have to say that my pack has literally the exact same thing in them for hunting or fishing obviously swapping a few things. swap the kill kit for the tackle box and its basically the same. 70 pounds is really really heavy

Side arm and spray? Sleeping bag and a woobie? Ditch the chair for a zlite pad. Serves two purposes. Can fold it for chair and added cushion under you at night.

Shrek

WKR
I say go for it and after this trip start culling. Is the chair worth its weight...After this trip you will have a better idea. I gotta say that 69lbs sounds insane.
Btw , my DT1 with a sawtooth , medium ss stove , 4lb cheap synthetic bag , lw ul 9 synmat , chair , primus eta express and fuel , 3L platypus , and a 10L dromedary to replace food and other items weight comes in at just under 60lbs . That's what I train with and expect to be much lighter actually hunting.

Last edited:

JeremiahH

WKR
My food bags usually come in just over 1.5 lb a day and approx 2500 - 2700 cal.
a7a3a6us.jpg

I might be in a little bit of a deficit but I'm never starving.
Can you eat the fish where your going to offset some weight, but not gambling too much?
Why both the sleeping bag and a
Woobie ?
Are you sharing that shelter?
I personally would just take the spray or the gun. Grizzly country and it's just the spray for me. I'm an odds guy. I however claim to be no expert.

OP
Where's Bruce?
I'm heavy on food solely because we may "extend" this trip to ten days (depending on how things are going) and I have a few other luxuries like a flask (strictly medicinal of course), a few cigars, ipod, a can of Red Feather butter, rod, reel, tackle, Thermacell, etc. The bear spray is insurance from the unexpected, the S&W 329PD is for any SHTF situation I might encounter (pot grows, tweakers and meth lab operators and crazies) but doesn't weigh much. I'm carrying a lot of valuable equipment that someone might wanna try and take away from me but if I'm packin' they are less likely to try it. Have a buddy who was robbed by a gang in Fresno of his deer, rifle and pack.

My WM sleeping bag is rated to 30* and the woobie is insurance in case the temps drop below that and to wear in the morning while having coffee. Shelter is all me, I'm a big guy and I snore. Nice to tuck everything in at night where critters can't chew threw my stuff. Also have redundant water filtration, a Katadyne Hiker Pro and Base Camp. The pack will get lighter every day but I question my ability to seriously trim the load.

Mckinnon

WKR
I would ditch the 2 filters and take he hiker pro with aqua Mira or other such drops/tablets as a back up

Bmcox86

WKR
I would drop one of the water filters, you can always boil as a back up

My weight for a 5 day fishing trip is 38lbs without water, I don't carry a lot of water because water is plentiful at a mountain lake. That includes my metal rod tube and waders

Mckinnon

WKR
Also are you taking a puffy or something, a sweater, or anything like that? If so skip the woobie, bring a beanie

Beastmode

WKR
Bruce it sounds like you have thought it out fairly well. There are many things you have that a lot of us would not bring. Bottom line is if you feel you need it no one on here can tell you that you don't. Only time will show what YOU actually need. No one on rokslide can tell you this. The biggest advice I can give you is bring a notpad and write down how many times you use each item every day. This is how I got my essntials list down in weight. This time of year in California your weight seems high but again its what makes you feel comfortable. If 10lbs is the difference between calling it quits on day 3 or staying the whole 10 days I would say its worth it.

djsmith46

Lil-Rokslider
I'm heavy on food solely because we may "extend" this trip to ten days (depending on how things are going) and I have a few other luxuries like a flask (strictly medicinal of course), a few cigars, ipod, a can of Red Feather butter, rod, reel, tackle, Thermacell, etc. The bear spray is insurance from the unexpected, the S&W 329PD is for any SHTF situation I might encounter (pot grows, tweakers and meth lab operators and crazies) but doesn't weigh much. I'm carrying a lot of valuable equipment that someone might wanna try and take away from me but if I'm packin' they are less likely to try it. Have a buddy who was robbed by a gang in Fresno of his deer, rifle and pack.

My WM sleeping bag is rated to 30* and the woobie is insurance in case the temps drop below that and to wear in the morning while having coffee. Shelter is all me, I'm a big guy and I snore. Nice to tuck everything in at night where critters can't chew threw my stuff. Also have redundant water filtration, a Katadyne Hiker Pro and Base Camp. The pack will get lighter every day but I question my ability to seriously trim the load.

You named off ten items above that I won't take on a backcountry hunt. I realize you're fishing so we can swap the fishing tackle for the kill kit and the reel rod for the gun (but you're carrying a gun albeit lighter than a rifle). Someone above said you're carrying a chair? Sounds like the best advice was already given. Make a list and ask yourself what you really need.

On a sidenote I haven't spent even a tenth of the time in the backcountry that some of the members on here have spent. But in the relatively small amount of time I have spent in the woods I have had two close encounters with animals that could have killed me with their face. I take a gun always for said critters and for critters that walk on two legs. No one else can save you in the woods...you're it. So I wouldn't leave my sidearm at home. Good luck.

Make a list of the items you used and the ones you didn't. Trim unused items from list next time ......I'm at 52lbs for a 10 day trip including rifle, I don't really fish but can't imagine a rod and reel being heavier than a rifle.