"Old Rifles"

mtgreg

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Howdy folks.
With all the advancements in firearm technology, I wonder how many of you are still using "Old Rifles" for your hunting? For example, pre 64 Winchester model 70, etc. These guns may be old, but are still perfectly fine for many uses.
mtgreg

I hunted with a pre 64 Remington 721 in .270 from 2005 till last fall and it was a great rifle. Killed many deer and a few elk with it. My great great grandfather bought it brand new and I inherited it. On the bottom part of the forehand there are small notches he put in the wood for every deer he killed with it. Funny thing, there’s a lot more notches than there are years between when the rifle was built and the gear he died

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kong

Lil-Rokslider
The older pre-64 Winchester Model 70 are heirloom items nowadays and if in pristine conditions fetch a premium even fair condition ones fetch a premium.

E-Rawk

FNG
Last year I hunted with a M1903A3 that my grandfather sporterized sometime in the 60's or 70's after buying it surplus. This year I hunted with an original Ruger M77 chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. They both stack groups if I do my job. I doubt I'll ever buy a new bolt gun when I have access to these and other classic rifles with just a phone call to my pops if I need to go after something bigger than whitetail.

grfox92

WKR
What advances have their been in rifle technology??

There have been virtually none. We have huge advances in scopes/optics and powder/projectiles.

But a bolt gun, still works exactly the same, the case is exactly the same.

I often hunt with an old lee enfield in 303, and they function flawlessly.
The advances would be in precise tolerances and machining that allow modern rifles to be much more accurate.

You can buy a $329 Savage that shoots sub moa off the shelf. Not many 100 year old bolt actions have that kind of accuracy.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

LoggerDan

WKR
I hunt mostly with pre 64 Winchester model 70’s. Class, class class. They are beautiful even after years of use. As accurate as I need them to be. They are spoken for by my kids. They are classical pieces of American gun making and art to me. You can’t say the same about an axis or American or AR. the newest rifle I own is a 375 Ruger, and it is basically a copy of the model 70.

Yeah, you can keep your tikka, your bergara or whatever run of the mill hype piece you want. Keep it til the next fad shows up.

I’m an American and buying American isn’t just lip service to me.