Old Swaro

Where do you guys who have been around Swaro put their older stuff in terms of optical quality?
For example 20 year 10x42 SLCs with swarobright are equivalent to Vortex Vipers today? Diamondback? Maven B1?

if you can get 20 year old SLCs for $400 is it worth it over the other options in that price range?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I would say they are just slightly behind their newer versions.

If the SLCs are in good shape, $400 is a great deal.

If you don’t want them, let me know where to find them.

tdhanses

WKR
No. No let me know where they are and I’ll take them 🤣. Smoking deal, I’d take them over any vortex bino.

After you get them send them back to swaro and they’ll come back like new.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
After you get them send them back to swaro and they’ll come back like new.

Just an FYI, swaro will recondition older products but they charge for it.

My hunting buddy sent back his 20ish year old SLCs a couple months ago because the lens assembly on one side completely came out of alignment.

They came back like new, but it cost him $500. They are probably good for another 20 years though.

tdhanses

WKR
Just an FYI, swaro will recondition older products but they charge for it.

My hunting buddy sent back his 20ish year old SLCs a couple months ago because the lens assembly on one side completely came out of alignment.

They came back like new, but it cost him $500. They are probably good for another 20 years though.

Think condition is the key factor, plenty of people here have said they sent them back and there was no charge, others paid $150 for new lenses. Still worth it imo if they need it, if only paying $400.

But swaro could be increasing fees on older optics.

GrizGuy

FNG
My 8x30 SLC binos were made in 1998. They were lightly used and undamaged. I bought them new. They had never been sent in for cleaning. This past November I sent them to SWARO and asked them to upgrade them with new prisms and lenses at my expense. After inspecting them they said they could do the upgrade. The new SWAROBRIGHT Prisms would be $150 each. The easy to clean coatings on the lenses would be $150 for both. Total: $450. They had them 6 or 7 weeks. They look like they are brand new, even have a new serial #!! I'm now a huge SWARO fan!

OP
Researcher
I have HD 8x42 SLC and have used 10x42 and bought a sold a few other to raise some fund for other needed hunting items. I have used the Swaro customer service and everything people have said has been true for me.

Im asking because my father in law who I now hunts with me and my brother in law is running some vortex crossfire binos or something like that and has trouble seeing game with his binos. Probably due to not so good binos and old eyes. He really enjoys being with us and is fun to have along, plus he can pack out an elk quarter without complaining so he has to stick around right?

Id like to get him an upgrade without it seeming like I spent all this money on something new and expensive. So I think I’m gonna go for it if they are just as good if not better than maven or razors. I’ll let you know how my low balling goes at the estate sale.

Revron

FNG
I recently purchased a pair of 10x50 SLC WB from 1998, I sent them in to to SONA for upgrades to pre HD glass(They cannot upgrade to HD) they are like brand new with nice upgraded swarobright glass(Had to pay for the upgrade).....I wanted to see what they would be worth now? Anyone have any idea of value with the upgraded glass?

AGPank

WKR
I recently purchased a pair of 10x50 SLC WB from 1998, I sent them in to to SONA for upgrades to pre HD glass(They cannot upgrade to HD) they are like brand new with nice upgraded swarobright glass(Had to pay for the upgrade).....I wanted to see what they would be worth now? Anyone have any idea of value with the upgraded glass?

In my opinion value is to owner who upgraded. It’s difficult to monetize. Did they replace armor and eyecups too? Typically they do a great job on refurbished work.

Best guess is $750-850. 10x50 isn’t most popular offering. More than that is tough because you are competing with newer HD like Meopta, Leica Trinovid, or Zeiss Conquest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revron

FNG
Yes, they replaced everything housing, new glass, like brand new. Compared them to some of the new HD glass Sig and vortex and seem to be way more clear and crisp.

Revron

FNG
I think I might try and get a new pair of Swaro with HD glass. Is it that big of a upgrade to buy brand new or should I look for a used pair with HD glass?

AGPank

WKR
I had a refurb pair of 7x30 SLC. They were excellent, but I didn’t like the FOV.

I’d recommend looking at some of the newer models before buying to see if it’s worth the extra money to you. Outside of the newer NL line Swarovski glass has been relatively unchanged since 2011.

Everyone has different spec preferences, eyes, and ergonomics. Don’t spend a lot of money until you decide what you want: glass from tripod, low light, FOV, CA control, warranty, integral RF, focus wheel, eye relief, weight, field flattened, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk