OnX vs Huntstand

Slice44

FNG
I know this topic has been beat to death different places but I figured I'd ask for advice here. Just learned a family friend has family in western Montana who are avid hunters and they've provided an open invite for him and friends. Because they'd be helping guide us I'm not too worried about property lines but still want to have whichever program works more accurately/better. Currently I use Huntstant here in PA and in NY.

Thanks in advance. Also trying to figure out what rifle to take but thats a conversation for another time.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Out of the two I like OnX better. However, just for maps GoHunt is very nice with some great features. Or,,,,, Spartan Forage has made some really cool updates.
However, I go back to OnX because it’s extremely easy to use and share with others.

elkyinzer

WKR
OnX has much better user interface, but the maps royally sucked until they rolled out the leaf-off option. They just suck now.

HuntStand has much better base maps but the user interface royally sucks.

I have both because I hunt and scout a lot and I use both. I use HS more on the at-home research side of things. I use OnX for more on-the-fly scouting. I use a handheld GPS for most actual navigation while hunting and scouting.

If I had to pick one, it would definitely be OnX simply because the UI is so easy and consistent and the offline maps are always trouble free for me.

I don't know that one would be more accurate per se. I would think they are using the same data for property boundaries, it's not like different versions of that exist to my knowledge. Where property lines are off, they are off at the source.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
I know you didn’t ask about it, but in the past I’ve used HuntStand. Take this with a grain of salt though as I also only hunt Pa.

Last season I used HuntStand and Spartan Forge as I was more familiar with HuntStand. This year I solely used Spartan Forge and really enjoyed there system. They finally have a desktop version and their lidar and 3D really helped identify some additional terrain features for me that I would have missed before. I quickly became a fan this year and canceled my HuntStand subscription.

For the price of under $40 for all the states and not needing any add ons Spartan Forge really crossed a lot of things off the list for me.

Ive used OnX the longest. Ive had a few seasons I preferred basemap, but just became too unreliable. Ive tried Huntstand and had Gohunt for a year. Ive always had OnX, and 1 of the others, but always OnX. OnX has access to huntin fool and toprut for unit research so its worth having it. Its probably the most refined of the bunch, along with familiarity with the app. Theyve also kicked it up a notch in the past year with some updates.

But Spartan Forge is coming for all of them, the map detail is 2nd to none, map options as well. Lidar is a really useful map. They ease of selecting and unselecting layers is top notch. They just dont have the sheer number of layers OnX has at this point. The user interface is as good as OnX. Theyve raised their price in the past few months to $60/year (looks like they grandfathered those enrolled at 40 to keep it at 40) which puts them in the ballpark of the others when you consider discounts. But I havent opened OnX since September.

Last edited:

TerryB

FNG
I use onx my only complaint would be it doesn't it refresh often enough ,where I hunt the landscape is about 3yrs old

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
I like a lot about Onx more and use it as a main resource, but Huntstand has better resolution and some better map options (public land being a favorite) so I keep it around at $29 a year.