Open Country or Subalpine?

cueva

FNG
Looking to pickup some Sitka gear, timberline pants and either a Stratus or Jetstream jacket. New hunter and unsure on what pattern to buy. I live in Oregon, but am planning on moving to Wyoming in the next several years. I know Subalpine is more for 50yds< and Open Country for 100yd+, but Subalpine is more green so i feel this is confusing haha. Oregon is green everywhere.... I will be rifle hunting, with the goal of from a distance but of course up close may also occur. Looking for a one and done pattern and outfit to buy and keep me good for a long time, all around general hunting, primarily deer/elk, big game. Open to opinions on either the Stratus or Jetstream too.
Thanks guys!

Camo can only help not hurt you not look like a human. I don’t know if the pattern matters all that much. The animals we hunt don’t see the way we do anyway. I use sub alpine for everything as I see no reason to have different patterns. I think for things like turkey it is more useful than a rifle hunt. Again it won’t hurt though. Just don’t wash it with anything that has optical brighteners. My fav pants are the apex and timberline. Two different use cases for them.

OP
cueva

cueva

FNG
Get the tops in 1 pattern and the bottom in the other.
i was thinking of this too! I was thinking subalpine bottom & open country top, i heard a few people mention it might help w blending in better etc?

My main pattern is open country, mainly because most of what I was buying was only available in OC. Subalpine was newly released and not readily available. It really doesn't matter, you need to play the wind. You could be invisible, and if they smell you they're gone. You can wear blaze orange, and if you are downwind and remain still they will walk right past you.
I bought Sitka mainly because of the layering system, and having different pieces depending on the cold/snowy/rainy weather.

Jethro

WKR
i was thinking of this too! I was thinking subalpine bottom & open country top, i heard a few people mention it might help w blending in better etc?
I do that. Solids up top, camo down low, or vice versa. Or different camo patterns top and bottom.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
The animals won't care, or even know the difference. So buy whichever you like best or what you can find on sale. I prefer solids.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

schmalzy

WKR
Looking to pickup some Sitka gear, timberline pants and either a Stratus or Jetstream jacket. New hunter and unsure on what pattern to buy. I live in Oregon, but am planning on moving to Wyoming in the next several years. I know Subalpine is more for 50yds< and Open Country for 100yd+, but Subalpine is more green so i feel this is confusing haha. Oregon is green everywhere.... I will be rifle hunting, with the goal of from a distance but of course up close may also occur. Looking for a one and done pattern and outfit to buy and keep me good for a long time, all around general hunting, primarily deer/elk, big game. Open to opinions on either the Stratus or Jetstream too.
Thanks guys!

I’d stick with some solids and break up the top and bottoms. Don’t be afraid to try non hunting brands either. Any decent earth tones should be good to go. Spend the money you saved on good boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buckhead

FNG
I hunt in the Southeast (Georgia). Primarily deer in a mixture of hardwoods and pines. Thru late October I favor subalpine. Once the leaves are down, I switch to OC and Elevated 2. Grays blend in better then. Elevated 2 and OC are similar patterns and I mix and match tops and bottoms. Most of my Subalpine is lighter weight for warmer temps, my Elevated 2 and OC pieces are heavier weight to handle the colder temperatures. Pretty fond of the Sitka stuff. Expensive, but high quality. Usually buy during sales promotions.

Thanks guys!
Do deer see color? I'd suggest you research deer vision, so you can actually make an informed decision.

Some of the best bow hunters I know where solids. Wind and movement are far more important than camo. Obviously, I don't think camo hurts you, but if it doesn't help than I would buy what's on sale or solids so you can get Mutiple uses out of them.