OPINIONS: Lowa Tibet GTX vs Tibet GTX Hi

Prusta81

FNG
I'm planning to go on my first Colorado elk bow hunt in early September and looking for opinions on the Lowa Tibet GTX vs Lowa Tibet GTX Hi boots.

For a little background our hunt is going to be a DIY backcountry spike camp type of hunt so the pack loads will be heavy, especially if we get lucky and punch a tag. And for what it's worth I am notorious for having weak ankles and have had an ACL reconstruction surgery.

I'm wonder if anyone has experience or thoughts on both versions of the Tibets that they could provide a comparison or opinion? Other than the obvious being the Hi version is taller and slightly heavier, are there other significant differences to be aware of between the two. When would someone prefer one over the other? Is the Hi version considered a 10" boot vs the standard being an 8"? Unfortunately the closest Lowa dealer is 2 hours away so I was planning to order online and I'm just trying to figure out the pros and cons of these two versions of the Tibets.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Last edited:
The regular height would be my choice for most terrain. Lighter and plenty stable and capable for 90% of what you would most likely have to deal with. Nothing wrong with the 10" but unless you specifically need it, I would go a bit shorter as you can use it more as an every day type boot as well.

The regular height would be my choice for most terrain. Lighter and plenty stable and capable for 90% of what you would most likely have to deal with. Nothing wrong with the 10" but unless you specifically need it, I would go a bit shorter as you can use it more as an every day type boot as well.

I'd go 8" as well - I've been wearing them for every day work boots because I have not been able to find another boot as comfortable and, for me, happy "dogs" is worth the price (and of late that translates into happy knees too)

Hey thanks 280. I'm leaning towards the 8" but just curious do you know when someone might specifically need the 10"? Or put another way what are the other 10% of situations I might have to deal with where the 10" would be preferred?

Deep water maybe. Steep side hilling and or switch backing maybe with heavy loads would be another thought. Just some added rigidity is what you would get. Just not needed that often where the standard height would be sufficient.

Not trying to convince you. You should check them both out for yourself. With some leg issues you want the one that feels the best to you for sure.

Good luck. A great boot. i

I tried both on and liked the highs. Weight wasn't that noticeable for me when walking around the store with one of each on. I love these boots for the really crappy slopes I seem to find myself on.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm going to place an order on Shoebuy.com since they're 25% sale ends today. I'm thinking I'll order both versions and return whichever I don't like.

^^^ do that

I love my HIs, my buddy got the regs and wishes he got the highs... the weight difference can't be more than a few ounces.

I can think of a a few situations where you may have the 8 and wish you had the 10's.... I cannot think of a situation where you would have the 10 and wish you had the 8s.

JOe

Last edited:
I have the 8" and love them. I haven't tried the hi's but I have monster calves and more material up there seems like it would be annoying. I could maybe see them for high-alpine sheep or goat with heavy loads and lots of talus, etc. Ordering both sounds like the best plan though. I'd be interested to hear your comparison.

I'm thinking of going the Tibet route after turning in my Cevedale pros. Anybody want to fill their gtx Tibets with water and post up if they make it more than 3 hours without leaking?

Anybody want to fill their gtx Tibets with water and post up if they make it more than 3 hours without leaking?
Funny, that's exactly what I did when I suspected they were leaking a few seasons ago. I think they made it about 15 minutes. Lowa replaced that pair and my current ones haven't leaked yet (knock on wood).

I do it after most hunts. Every boot I've owned has failed. Cevedales had 25 miles and were leaking before I could set it on the counter top.

I talked to the factory and the 10" is made on a wider last than the 8". Just a FYI....the tall is built on a wide last.

Last edited:
I can't speak to the Tibet but I've got about 300 medium to hard miles on my Tibet Hi's. Great boots, I like the height because of deeper water but more importantly keeps more debris out of the boot. The ankle support is good in this boot. I'm using the Sole red insole, the Sole blue added too much volume. Custom order from REI and you can wear them for a year and return them if they don't work out.

I apologize I'm new to wearing this type of backpacking style boot, what's the difference between a wide last vs. narrower last? Are there advantages or disadvantages to a wide or narrow last? When would someone want a wider or narrower last?

I talked to the factory and the 10" is made on a wider last than the 8". Just a FYI....the tall is built on a wide last.

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the feedback guys!

So I received my Tibet GTX and Tibet GTX Hi's yesterday from shoebuy.com. I've been wearing them around the house and walking up/down the stairs quite a bit. In general I think the Tibet's work well for my feet and I will be keeping one of these pairs. I'm usually between a size 11 and 11.5 in general, the size 11 Tibets seem to be fit just about perfect. The toe box seems a bit spacious for my foot but I’m assuming that could be filled up with a custom insole if necessary.

My first impression immediately is the Tibet GTX Hi's were excessively high, inhibiting the natural range of motion between my foot and leg as I walked. I understand this is likely to be expected and the extra ankle support is the whole point of the Hi's however these come up almost 5 inches past my ankle. The limited range of motion as I walk puts pressure on my legs which I feel would become uncomfortable after a while.

As for the standard Tibet GTX’s they just seem to feel more natural on my feet as I walk, while still providing more than adequate ankle support. Obviously I’m assuming the more natural feel is likely due to the fact the standard Tibet are 7 ¼” from the sole to the highest point of the boot while the Hi’s are 8 ¾”, however I think it is also worth noting the standard Tibets have the pivoting lace stud near the ankle while the Hi’s do not (photo attached); perhaps that allows your foot and leg to move more naturally. And I guess if one is concerned about water and debris getting into the standard Tibets that's when you'd want to throw a pair of gators on.

Anyway I wouldn’t consider my mind made up and since I have 60 days before I have to return them for a refund I plan to keep wearing both around the house.

And one quick FYI regarding shoebuy.com, I originally purchased my Tibets when there was a 25% off sale going on, however Sunday and Monday this week they were running a 30% off sale. I called shoebuy.com and they refunded me an additional 5% off my order to get me the 30% off. Seems like a great company. I ended up paying $266 for the Tibet GTX’s and $277 for the Tibet GTX Hi’s.

Tibets.JPG

Last edited:
Well it's day two of wearing my Tibet GTX's and Tibet GTX Hi's around the house. I have to admit the Hi's are really starting to "grow" on me. I think I've become used to the feeling of the Hi's coming up further on my legs. Actually I think they may have "broken" in slightly and don't feel as if they are inhibiting my range of motion as much, or at least that's my perception.

Anyway, I'd almost say they both feel equally comfortable and if that's the case wouldn't the tie go to the Hi's for the added stability and protection from water/debris? For those that have the Hi's were there ever instances you wished you had went with the standard height? Perhaps during early season when it's warm and your feet/legs were starting to sweat?

Last edited:
Back