Opinions Needed

I am new to the system out west of applying for tags and have a question that many of you can probably answer. If I hunt in WY in 2022, will that make it difficult to draw a general tag in 2025 with 2 pts and applying in the special draw. I am reading that it may take 3,4, or even 5 pts in the next few years to get a general tag in WY. I have a hunt booked in 2025 and would hate to have to delay it because I didn’t draw the tag. Thanks in advance.

bsnedeker

WKR
Point creep is a real thing for sure so it's certainly possible, perhaps even probably, but ultimately unknowable 5 years ahead of time. Do you live in a place you can hunt elk as a resident? If you can do that I'd say hold out for 2025 if that specific hunt means a lot to you. If not, I say get while the gettins good...5 years is a long time and a lot can happen where you might end up kicking yourself for not going earlier.

“I am reading that it MAY take 3, 4, or even 5....”

Lots of pessimists out there.

It took quite a years to go from needing zero to 1 to now 2 in the special draw. I doubt you’ll need more than 3 if that.

You should look for guys with a point or two more than they need and apply with them as a party IF it looks like 2 won’t do it. 2.5 or better yet 2.6 is way better than 2. There are always guys buying points who only hunt every 4-6 years. This year I had zero and found two brothers with 10 each applying for a general tag. Boom guaranteed in the REGULAR drawing.

OP
R
Indian, if you don’t mind my asking, how did you locate these other two hunters. Did you put out some kind of ad or post on this or some other forum?

Indian, if you don’t mind my asking, how did you locate these other two hunters. Did you put out some kind of ad or post on this or some other forum?
No. Two ways. Those two were past clients from when I was outfitting in Montana. 20 points will guarantee 6 guys tags. So in addition to those two and my partner and myself I was able to add 2 others as well, clients from a current business.

The current business is geared toward DIY elk hunters and offers me a pretty nice bonus. I get messages from clients when they decide to hunt Wyoming letting me know if they have any extra points to share. This year a guy texted saying him and his partner had 5 each. I had two hunters with 2 each that were going to apply in the special draw so I bumped them over to that application to in the regular draw cutting their cost in half and guaranteeing their licenses.

Being in an elk hunting related business means having a circle of hunters to help each other. The next time someone has extra points the first hunters I’ll contact are the ones who have shared points in the past. If they aren’t hunting that year I do have a website where I’ll make a thread letting guys know that I have an opportunity available. Why let the points go to waste?

I have seen guys here and elsewhere asking if anyone had an extra point but I don’t know if it worked out for them.

This coming August I’ll become a sponsor here on Rokslide. At that point I’ll advertise and explain my business in more detail. Don’t want to step on any toes even though I have literally zero competitors.