Opinions Salomon Quest 4d Gtx?

wapitibob

WKR
The waterproofing is something that’s definitely keeping me from pulling the trigger so far. Being in the pacific north west it’s definitely important that they don’t leak often. Maybe I’ll just pick up some overtime and pick up some crispis. It’s a tough decision to make though when I can get the Salomon’s for $138 vs the $300-$400 crispis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had 1 boot that hasn't leaked in 25 years and it hasn't seen a lot of water yet (hanwag alaska). The problem in my opinion is that the liner is semi rigid, almost glued to the toe box. When walking thru wet grass/brush, it doesn't take long for the leather to get saturated and the flexing of the toe box/forefoot junction will force water thru the waterproof liner by hydraulic pressure. On boots/hikers with nylon/cordura mesh panels, you can't waterproof those so you end up with water between the liner and boot, just looking for a hole.
Every boot and hiker over those 25 years has leaked at the toe box or toe box/forefoot junction. Some were flexible (renegade/quest 4d/zephyr/moab/etc) and one was real stiff (cevedale pro) but they all leaked. If you want to see if your boots leak, fill them with water. It won't take too long. Those cevedale pro's had water running out the toe box before I could move them from the faucet to the counter. I water test every boot when they get home from the store and after every season, if not every hunt period. Gore has a lifetime warranty on the liner so if boots leak there should be some remedy.

a.JPG

c.JPG

b.JPG

Last edited:
I've had like 5 pairs, they just work for my feet. If they had an aggressive vibram sole, rubber rand, and lasted more Than one year I'd be done looking at boots forever. They are really comfortable for everyday wear, I wear them hunting, backpacking, fishing, pretty much all the time. I've never had much trouble with em leaking but I don't see much rain during my hunts. Slips in shallow creeks, no problem. After two, week long backpack hunting trips they will look like they are 5 years old. I really wish Solomon would improve this boot for hardcore users and call it the 4D pro or something.

slvrslngr

WKR
Good in the dry, useless in the wet. Wore mine for archery last fall in the rain. Wet feet all day for 3 days. Wore them for a week of spring bear on the Oregon coast this spring, wet feet all week. Was wearing gaiters as well. I won’t be buying another pair.

brsnow

WKR
The waterproofing is something that’s definitely keeping me from pulling the trigger so far. Being in the pacific north west it’s definitely important that they don’t leak often. Maybe I’ll just pick up some overtime and pick up some crispis. It’s a tough decision to make though when I can get the Salomon’s for $138 vs the $300-$400 crispis.

If you do some research crispi don’t appear to be much more waterproof.

Block

WKR
I have 8 years of year round use here in Colorado and finally had to treat them for waterproof last fall. From archery to 4th season Elk have been great. Best boots I have ever owned. Can’t imagine the miles I have on them.

I can imagine... 8 years = NOT VERY many miles per year...

These GTX ran a 1/2 size big for me

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Had a pair for two years I wear daily. No issues and they are very comfortable. Not quite enough support for me to take them into the mountains with much weight in a pack but still very comfortable otherwise.

brsnow

WKR
I can imagine... 8 years = NOT VERY many miles per year...

These GTX ran a 1/2 size big for me

I would guess 10 hunting trips between CO and WY. Plus another 20 or so backcountry trips, plus weekly hikes, They are like my Tacoma, they just keep going.

Made it about 13 months on my pair and the rubber toe cap is separating on both boots at the ball of both feet. Comfortable and lightweight but will be looking for something that holds up better.

titus383

Lil-Rokslider
Comfortable out if the box. Great for dry, not so steep terrain. Terrible for sidehilling. My first pair leaked after a year. They were replaced under warranty, which was very painless. The replacements were the next stage up boot from Salomon. I don't remember the name but it was stiffer and looked promising for water resistance. Wore them, with gaiters, in the grass during a light rain storm, and they leaked worse than the 4D's. Those were replaced by gore tex, which was painless too. I wear Hanwag trapper tops now. Stiffer and no leaks, not as comfortable out of the box. My brother has the same 4D's and used them, with gaiters, in Alaska, along the Yukon, with zero leaks. He wore them more than his rubber boots. I think they are hit and miss. For your area a leather boot would probably be the best. Tons to choose from. Good luck.

I had a pair and they were a great boot, they were on sale when I got them for $125.00, should have bought two pair for that price!

Lowg08

WKR
I have a pair and love mine. I have no issue crossing creeks and such. I will be buying a different pair for late season that are insulated

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
I got a pair almost 2 years ago. They are very comfortable. Mine started leaking after about 1 1/2 years. Like I saw somewhere above, the back end of the toe cap is coming loose where it meets the sole on both of them. I think that is where the leaks are coming from too. Have some stitching coming loose too. I’ve been hard on these and worn them a lot. They aren’t stiff enough for me with a heavy pack in rough terrain. Almost feel like I’m barefooted wearing them compared to my lowa Tibets. I would buy them again though if on a decent sale. I think they’re a little overpriced at full price.

LostArra

WKR
long term waterproof hiking boots are either a lot of money, a lot of work or pure luck

I think the Salomon's are very comfortable with good traction (I've owned two pairs over about 6 years) but for the Pacific NW there has to be a better boot in the same price range.

One that I like is Oboz. Not a Tibet-like boot but very comfortable and my low hikers have done well in the waterproofing.

Jackpot

FNG
That’s what I bought awhile back. Mine are still fairly new, but super comfortable . Haven’t put them through much water yet though. Seem pretty durable. I’m happy with mine. If you like the green version and they have your size. Trekking.com has a pair for $158.99. Not to bad.

Attachments

• 204CEF08-A83E-4C11-BA41-F0A12384ACE7.jpeg
    204CEF08-A83E-4C11-BA41-F0A12384ACE7.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 24

highstepper

Lil-Rokslider
Great boots for what they are- lightweight hikers. I've had a pair long enough to start wearing chunks out of the sole -7 years or so. Mine breathe well. I've waded an irrigation ditch in CO with them and they didn't leak and hunted all day in SD in on and off rain without problem. That said, I don't expect them to replace rubber boots. What they are is fast, comfortable, good in rocky terrain, and decent with a moderate weight pack. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat. There is a reason the SEAL teams were using these boots a few years back. Maybe I'm lucky, but I'd buy another pair in a heartbeat if I was headed to a warmer weather hunt in CO, AZ, NM, or Utah. My daughter and son in law have them too, and like them for backpacking/ hiking.

Block

WKR
I would guess 10 hunting trips between CO and WY. Plus another 20 or so backcountry trips, plus weekly hikes, They are like my Tacoma, they just keep going.

Yeah maybe you have great roadhunting where ur at or somethin,,, but any amount of real hiking and boots are toast in 1 year... period

TheGDog

WKR
Been looking at buying some new boots for a while. I like the price point and reviews I’ve been seeing on the Solomon’s online. Any one have any good or bad experience with them that could be useful knowledge before I pull the trigger on them? Thank you.

Very comfortable when paired with FoxRiver liner socks and Darn Tough Merino wool socks.

The only negatives I will say are this:.
Be a little extra cautious when walking across creek rocks with them on.

First pair lasted 3 years with a lot of harsh rocky uphills.
2nd pair, strangely, I had a failure (um tear/separation) in a groove in the sole. I Shoe-Goo'd that pair, but I don't want to trust it on a hunt, so got another slightly lesser model from Salomon from Sportmans Guide for a great price! I since used the repaired one on a more leisure hike. So far so good.

I have very tender feet that blister easily. But with these boots and those socks I mentioned, packing out a deer, then going back in to fetch my tent and stuff, I did about 25 miles in one day that time. And the peeling/blistering was very minimal. (Note I did change to fresh socks for the 2nd trip in)

Yeah maybe you have great roadhunting where ur at or somethin,,, but any amount of real hiking and boots are toast in 1 year... period
At most, I get 2 years out of a pair of boots. My Solomon's has lost chunks of sole from one shoe, but I am on the 3rd year with them. They started losing chunks on the 2nd year and I just kept pushing them, instead of replacing them. They are toast now.