Options for reducing Tikka T3x recoil

BigStick

Lil-Rokslider
Mechanics matter and TIikka drops all balls.

Simply put,Tikka rolls a singular action length. It's FAR too short,as a short action and worse as a long action.

Combine same with their poor chamberings and you reap,what you sow.............

atmat

WKR

Simply put,Tikka rolls a singular action length. It's FAR too short,as a short action and worse as a long action.

Can you clarify what you mean by what mechanics Tikka drops the ball on? Are you referring o factory options or the overall action?

I would argue that Tikka is great for short actions cartridges, because you can change to a LA bolt stop/mag and get 3.4” for SA.

LA it’s obviously limiting. But at this point I don’t shoot any LA cartridges where I couldn’t find a healthy bullet in that limitation.

Edit: Unsurprisingly, this did not get responded to.

Last edited:
Unfortunately,the reality of twist rate,precludes said delusions.

Thus the hilarity of Tikka in general and 7-08 in particular.

The HILARITY is multiplied,due the receiver length............

I’m content with 150 eldx at 2790.

The twist is sufficient for my purposes.

As is the action length.

If I want to shoot the 162s I’ll shoot them out of my 7mm Rem Mag.

I can’t complain with the accuracy or results.

IMG_1750.jpeg

IMG_2763.jpeg

P

TaperPin

WKR
We all have our limits, but you might just need a lighter rifle to practice with and save the 06 for hunting.

Many of us with large calibers don’t mind the recoil because we don’t practice or go plinking with the big boomers. You might consider a 223 and shoot the heck out of that until hunting season. When sighting in I always wear a shooting pad for the shoulder.

Encore4me

FNG
I have a Tikka Super light 300 WM and don’t find the recoil too bad. I have shot 3 1/2” turkey loads and duck/goose loads as well as stout 45/70 loads. Tha only issue I had was having the stock hit my cheek bone beneath my eye. I got this Beartooth Comb Rising kit. It with my Simms recoil pad I find the recoil very manageable.
cfc455cc7a31b6643c3f0c0d67d034bf.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What barrel length are you running? I have tossed around the idea of a suppressed 7mm-08.

Stock Tikka, so 22 7/16”.

My brother has a suppressed Tikka 7mm-08, it shoots the same recipe but a different BTO. Picked up 60 fps or so from pre-suppressor. Tack driver.

Most of his Tikkas wear suppressors.

I load for all of us so each rifle gets its own load workup. They all shoot very, very well.

P

Last edited:
My main shootin’ iron is a stainless T3 in 7mm-08. I realized years ago that a 150 gr ELDX at 2790 fps would kill just as well as a 30-06 at the distances I’m likely to shoot.

Over the last 10 years I’ve killed elk, deer, and antelope with it. Nothing needed a second shot.

I watched my dad kill a big 5x5 bull at 225 yards with his 7mm-08. One and done.

I watched my nephew kill a 5x6 bull at 409 yards with his 7mm-08. Shot more than once but didn’t need to.

Much lower recoil, pleasant to shoot, kills waaaaay above its weight class.

P

Is this Busheler?
You finally found your way here?

madcalfe

WKR
As others have said put a limbsaver recoil pad, and install a muzzle brake.
My wife shoots a tikka t3 lite in 30.06 and she can burn through a box of shells.

Macintosh

WKR
Kills critters just fine at ranges I care to shoot. Or just use for practice. https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/30-06-springfield-125-gr-sst-custom-lite#!/

Or get an aftermarket stock with a higher comb and/or a negative comb. Even the ctr cheek riser has a negative comb—the recoil pad geometry doesnt change the muzzle jump, but with a negative comb it noticeably reduces felt recoil on your face and improves your ability to keep target in view during recoil. Felt recoil does matter.

Have your barrel threaded for a brake (which is LOUD and therefore sucks, even though its very effective at reducing recoil)

Regardless, tikka is a light gun and a 30-06 kicks. Its never going to be comfortable for anyone to shoot in any volume. Recoil is CUMULATIVE—anyone can shoot it for a small number of shots and say its comfortable, but its easily provable that no one can shoot as well for very many rounds with a heavier recoiling gun as they can with a lighter recoiling gun. The answer is to have a lighter recoiling gun at least for practice, if not for everything. (Edit: deer and black bear and even moose are easy to reliably and effectively kill with cartridges much smaller than a 3006 even using copper bullets, even at ranges beyond where most people have any business shooting at them. If you choose to use a bullet designed to create a bigger wound you’ll kill em even deader. You do not need the 3006)

Last edited:

wyosam

WKR
Shoot 150gr bullets, add some weight (scope is a good place).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COGuy99

FNG
I think shooting any rifle that’s not suppressed without ear pro is foolish if you want to keep your hearing.

Particularly with the electronic ear plug and muff options available that allow you to still hear normal sounds, conversations, twigs snapping, animals, etc (can actually amplify these if you want) I don’t see why everyone wouldn’t wear them.

Assuming you’re wearing ear pro, then there’s no reason not to throw on a brake (clamped or get the barrel threaded) which will reduce recoil by 30-40%. With a limb saver recoil pad and cheek riser, best of all worlds