Oregon Elk Help

So I just moved to California and picked up a a tag for Archery Elk in Oregon. My schedule is pretty tight so I'm only going to be able to make one 4 day hunt over the weekend of 29 August, with no scouting trips. In order to maximize hunting and minimize driving I'm looking to hunt anywhere in the SW corner of the state. I've been digging up all the info I can but it's proving difficult to actually determine where I can access public land and have a reasonable chance at getting into some Elk?

I've been looking at the Alsea, Sixes and Powers units, but I'm really having difficulty narrowing down a location. I'm not looking for grid coordinates to any honey hole, but if anyone can give me a nudge in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. The last thing I want to do is spend my only 4 day Elk hunt window searching for access to a good area.

Thanks in advance for your help!

MJ from Oregon

Lil-Rokslider
Powers Unit requires a draw tag. Cascades have elk and little closer for you. You can try above Prospect or even Butte Falls. Not sure how you hunt but there is pack in country along with short day hunts. Sky Lake Wilderness along with Seven Lake Basin holds some elk. I use to kill my bull every year in that country.

mJ

OR Archer

WKR
Powers unit is on fire right now so a lot of good area is closed. Like MJ said its draw only for big bulls. Other than that its spike only. Alsea is a long drive for you. Sixes has good bulls but a lot of private land and access to those lands is going to very limited with fire danger. I agree with MJ with looking at the Cascades. There are 3 wilderness areas that you could hunt and get away from most of the crowds. Ive hunted the south end of the Rogue Umpqua wilderness and had good luck finding elk in there.

OP
S
Powers unit is on fire right now so a lot of good area is closed. Like MJ said its draw only for big bulls. Other than that its spike only. Alsea is a long drive for you. Sixes has good bulls but a lot of private land and access to those lands is going to very limited with fire danger. I agree with MJ with looking at the Cascades. There are 3 wilderness areas that you could hunt and get away from most of the crowds. Ive hunted the south end of the Rogue Umpqua wilderness and had good luck finding elk in there.

Cascades it is then, thanks for the guidance! Looking at the regulations it says "outside NF lands in the Rogue" (and a few other units). Do the wilderness areas you mention (especially the Rogue Umpqua) fall within the National forests?

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
Also look in to the areas around lemolo lake the ocra (Oregon cascade recreation area). lower ground around the lake and west of the lake gets pounded.. But the ocra can be good .. These elk cover ground a lot of ground .. But it can be a good hunt , and with a little effort you can really get away from people.. Good luck!

Mike7

WKR
Screamrider, I grew up in Southern Oregon and many, many years ago as a teenager spent a lot of time in the areas mentioned above (I could ride my bicycle from my house to a Seven Lakes Basin trailhead).

I don't know the Oregon regs, but there used to be a lot of Boise Cascade land that held elk in that area. Much of it adjacent to private ranches where elk come down and feed, and other Boise land, some of it with some thick swampy areas (adjacent to National Forest land) that would hold many small groups of resident Roosevelt Elk. The general area I am talking about is roughly a triangle with Crater Lake, Lost Creek Lake, and Butte Falls as the corners. I would maybe try to go to the Boise office and get one of their property boundary/timber maps for that area.

Good luck!

OP
S
We'll, it's that time of year again and I'm considering another trip up to Oregon for archery elk.

Much to my surprise, I just drew a Thule elk archery antlerless tag here in California for early October, so I'm beyond stoked for that!

I still want to get after a bull though, and I'm debating another Oregon trip? Either where I went last year (toad lake area), or considering the sky lake wilderness.....seven lakes area or further north.

I saw very little sign and no elk last year, so wondering if sky lake may offer more action?

Appreciate any advice!

I killed an elk OTC in Alsea. Access is not an issue nor are places to hunt.

You'll be wise to hunt the ridge lines (where the Rosies graze) and find places where you can get as far from the road along a ridge line and you'll find fresh sign eventually. I found the clear cuts to be over-hunted/pressured. Do not expect to hear vocal elk in these OTC zones except for after dark.

OP
S
I killed an elk OTC in Alsea. Access is not an issue nor are places to hunt.

You'll be wise to hunt the ridge lines (where the Rosies graze) and find places where you can get as far from the road along a ridge line and you'll find fresh sign eventually. I found the clear cuts to be over-hunted/pressured. Do not expect to hear vocal elk in these OTC zones except for after dark.

Appreciate the feedback. Last year I debated between the coast and the cascades. From what I understand there are much greater elk numbers on the coast. I think chasing Rosies in Alsea or somewhere in the SW corner of the state is a strong option right now. Unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to make a scouting trip, but I'll start pouring over the maps to see what I can learn.

Thanks again!

OP
S
Trying to decide between Alsea and Stott mountain? Looks like there is better public access in Alsea, but I would appreciate any feedback on pros/cons to each area if anyone has hunted them.

Our biggest concern is to get away from the roads and other hunters, looking to hit opening weekend (30 August).

OP
S
Well, just over two weeks to go and looks like it will be an exploratory hunt to Alsea. From what I hear there are plenty of elk, just a matter of tackling the coastal jungle.

Anyone know if the the fires are limiting access in the Alsea unit at all?

LoneStar

Lil-Rokslider
No fires in the Alsea unit. Where in the unit are you headed? I live in Corvallis, so the Alsea is pretty much my backyard.

NWHunter

FNG
While there are no fires in the Alsea unit access can be limited due to fire danger and timber companies closing their land. I'm west of Corvallis and right in the heart of it. There are still plenty of option on the coast for elk though. Not sure what area you're looking to hunt. I doubt Hancock or Plum Creek will allow access this year. Lots of elk around Lincoln City and Stott mountain. Drift Creek wilderness is a good option too.

OP
S
While there are no fires in the Alsea unit access can be limited due to fire danger and timber companies closing their land. I'm west of Corvallis and right in the heart of it. There are still plenty of option on the coast for elk though. Not sure what area you're looking to hunt. I doubt Hancock or Plum Creek will allow access this year. Lots of elk around Lincoln City and Stott mountain. Drift Creek wilderness is a good option too.

PM sent

The John

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck, the county is thick but as others have said, once you get away from the road opportunities abound.

lak2004

WKR
I'm headed out into the alsea unit tomorrow for a quick 2 day hunt. Hopefully get into something!