Oregon Wolves - What can outdoorsmen do?

cwpepper

FNG
Oregon has increased wolf population significantly and is well over 7 breeding pairs. We are now at a place where in some units wolves are habituated to humans and have lost their fear of humans in developed campsites, amongst other areas. I have had many personal experiences now with wolf territoriality and I’m looking to this group for support.

1- What legally can I do to discourage wolves from a public land area? Specifically a drainage without impacting other wildlife.

2- What legal actions can I take to get involved with the State of Oregon?

I assume many other Oregonians are experiencing this with the massive increase of wolf populations so I’m hopeful this will help others having the same experiences as I and be a forum of actions/tips and not just complaints.

I also want to take this time to recognize the burden livestock owners have with this statewide problem and provide my sympathies. However, this forum is specific to what non-livestock owners can do to support in a shared problem.

Attachments

• IMG_3136.jpeg
    IMG_3136.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3137.jpeg
    IMG_3137.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3138.jpeg
    IMG_3138.jpeg
    317.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
Sure wouldnt post it online..

If people could actually kill them, there wouldn't be an abundance.

For the op, you can do nothing for wolves west of 395, they're a fed issue. East of 395 they fall under the state wolf plan which I believe is up for review shortly. That plan doesn't contain the words "trapping" nor "hunting" so until that plan is modified wolves only die when they kill livestock.

I'm from the east coast, but I was in NM Elk hunting. A local from the Gila told me they shoot wolves in the guts. and they run for miles & miles deep into the woods never to be found again after they die a slow death.

It's really a sad story. This local told me the wolves snatch pets, stalk their children at the bus stop. The parents have to watch their kids at the bus stop with a side arm. Not sure what these liberals get from releasing wolves in CO.....

t_carlson

WKR
You're not going to be able to do much, legally or illegally.

They get wise to humans pretty quick when the shooting starts, and after that, they become ghosts.

They are here to stay, short of a MASSIVE extermination campaign as was utilized in the late 1800's/early 1900's.

Here in MT, we had (I'm assuming) quite a bit of SSS when they were gaining population. Now we have hunting and trapping seasons...and yet, the wolves are still here in numbers as big as ever.

IdahoBeav

WKR
If people could actually kill them, there wouldn't be an abundance.
By what means? We have year-round season on them here in Idaho and each hunter can buy up to five tags. Hunters kill hundreds of them each year. There are still too many wolves.

It appears to be something that cannot be undone.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
As is with WA, nothing. They will keep increasing in population until all is lost. Delisting will never happen.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are the bubonic plague to ungulates in this day and age, like it was to Europe in the 1300s. Without poison and proper management good luck, but let’s just bring them to another state. Crazy world we live in😡

pirogue

WKR
And you are aware of all the Portland downtown businesses closing, the homeless encampments in western Oregon cities continuously increasing, etc., etc?
And you think the treehugger state of OR is going to listen to an anti- wolf voice?

OP
C

cwpepper

FNG
Original poster here, hoping to provide some clarity here to what I’m trying to ask.

1- What legally can I do to discourage wolves from a public land area? Specifically a drainage without impacting other wildlife.

… For example, and this might sound ridiculous, but in a specific drainage could a guy setup a loud sound machine with a frequency that impacts canines (like a dog whistle) or would that legally be considered wildlife harassment?

… For example, by coming together in a professional manner with others impacted by this to help better educate the community. For example, in Bend, Oregon there was recently a massive exhibit on Wolves at the Central Oregon Museum. I would think a venue like this would be a good place for counter information (like a booth at the entrance) showcasing counter facts to the impacts to humans, wildlife, and agriculture.

I believe a there are a lot of us out there that have similar feelings on this, but somehow there must be a way to come together on this. Even if it means showing up at the right Public Feedback sessions. I merely just don’t know when/where those are at so I don’t know where to turn to help unite.

Other things I’ve thought about is F4WM.org but I’m not familiar with this organization and they do not currently have an Oregon Chapter.

Last edited:

N.ID7803

WKR
Original poster here, hoping to provide some clarity here to what I’m trying to ask.

… For example, and this might sound ridiculous, but in a specific drainage could a guy setup a loud sound machine with a frequency that impacts canines (like a dog whistle) or would that legally be considered wildlife harassment?

… For example, by coming together in a professional manner with others impacted by this to help better educate the community. For example, in Bend, Oregon there was recently a massive exhibit on Wolves at the Central Oregon Museum. I would think a venue like this would be a good place for counter information (like a booth at the entrance) showcasing counter facts to the impacts to humans, wildlife, and agriculture.

I believe a there are a lot of us out there that have similar feelings on this, but somehow there must be a way to come together on this. Even if it means showing up at the right Public Feedback sessions. I merely just don’t know when/where those are at so I don’t know where to turn to help unite.

Other things I’ve thought about is F4WM.org but I’m not familiar with this organization and they do not currently have an Oregon Chapter.
I would get contact info for your legislators and write/call/email them, expressing your concerns with wolves in the state and the need for management. Maybe get ahold of Howl.org and ask for tips on how to better be involved and where. Join trapping organizations or other like minded state organizations, they will be the ones hopefully rallying folks together.
F4WM is a great organization, if and when you get a season they will be there, but it takes an army of volunteers to step up. If not for F4WM in Idaho and Montana, the states deer,elk and moose population would be way worse off. We are also very fortunate in Idaho to have a F&G commission that understands the wolf problem and wants to do something about.
Good luck and keep inquiring, we should all be doing the same.

Idk if Oregon is structured the same. But its other twins Colorado and Washington start at the governor. He/she appoints the commission and if they are anti hunting it’s tough to get much forward progress.

Imo getting a different governor that is pro hunting is the best chance to change the situation.

Lots of money spent all year showing the current situations in Portland and surrounding cities might help. If not, move to Wyoming.