Organizing and counting food...

I came across these last time home pretty simple and can be taken out of the box and put in a baggy. Boil water and put in box let stand for 5 min (I think can't remember for sure) and then fry in skillet. 2 people can easily eat off one box. Something to add to a breakfast or dinner in?
duzamuda.jpg

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
Old trick for cheese - cut it up into 2-3 day blocks. Soak cheesecloth in vinegar. Wrap the cheese block with the cloth and vacuum seal. It will last a looong time in high temps. The vinegar keeps it firm and non-greasy and doesn't influence taste much.

The baby-bells lasted about 7 months on our pantry shelf. I didn't know they were supposed to be refrigerated! Some of them started to explode out of the wax, so we threw those away, but just ate the last of them a couple weeks ago on a trip. They were fine. Our house gets pretty hot in the summer too. No AC.

I've never bought a Mountain House and find dehydrating whole meals a pain - needing parchment paper or those tray liners. I have 3-4 go to dinner recipes that rely on minute rice (or soba noodles), a few dried veggies, lentils (or dried beans) and some spices (chili spice, thai curry paste, pesto, etc). Rotating through these spices keeps some variety, no processed stuff, light and fast to cook. A meal for two will fit in a quart ziploc, and when cooked, fill a 2-liter pot. Recently acquired grouse, ptarmigan or fish are thrown right in to cook with the meal.

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
Some great food ideas. Keep them coming, always looking for new ideas. Have an 8 night/9 day trip coming up and food is always a struggle for me.

I vary things a bit day to day, but below is generally what I have in a day. Before leaving home the oatmeal goes into a ziplock bag with a scoop of protein powder.

Last edited:

ethan

WKR
This is a great thread! Lots of really good ideas. I usually just do oatmeal for breakfast but I gotta have honey in it and sometimes you can find little packets of it in restaurants. Lunch s always a cliff bar, jerky, trail mix, whatever. I really think most of the freeze dried foods available are pretty tasty but I've toyed with idea of making my own for a while, just haven't done it yet. I do sometimes drop pieces of jerky in my meals to rehydrate, kinda of helps.

Becca, you could start a new cooking show!!! "The High Country Chef"!!

littlebuf

Banned
I'm a little more than just a pretty face. This internet stuff is cute but come September you keyboard cowboys can have it . I'm on the mountain, gotta be squared away

Last edited: