OTC Elk Hunt Cost - Guys from the East Coast

Sdieffen

FNG
Question o have wondered for a long time:

How do you deal with horses on a trip that long? Do you let them out of the trailer at rest stops?

I have horses but leave them at home. Our horses are tough and we use them on our ranch but there are physiological issues when you go from sea level to 12000 in 30 hrs. I bring my Yamaha Viking(fits perfect) and a dirt bike for single track access. That way we are the only ones acclimating.

SCLawyer

Lil-Rokslider
That sounds about right on the money. I drive from western Pa every year. Just divide your miles by the mileage of your vehicle for your fuel cost. If you are towing anything remember mileage in the mountains while towing anything sucks. That cost can vary greatly obviously depending on whether you’re driving to eastern Colorado or western Montana. Splitting travel costs with 1 or more partners really lowers the cost of hunting since gas is your biggest expense other than the license.

I never include food cost as an expense because I eat whether I’m hunting or back home. My gas is about $700 with one partner. Meat processing $250-$300 including vac sealing which I like. I buy about $35 worth of dry ice for the trip home. I might have a high restaurant/bar tab for one night after tags are punched. There are some highway tolls from Pa through Illinois as well. That’s about it for hard costs. Cheap!

And then there is the fact that every year there is some new piece of gear that you can’t live without. Lol
In your experience, how quickly have the processors been able to get your elk ready for packing? Just wondering in terms of whether you have stay an extra week out west for the processing to be done.

In your experience, how quickly have the processors been able to get your elk ready for packing? Just wondering in terms of whether you have stay an extra week out west for the processing to be done.
Well..., everything has a price right. Where I go it says turn around time 10 days... but for a $40 rush charge they’ll do it in 3.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
We do Maryland to Wyoming every year. Truck with trailer. Sometimes we use personal trucks, sometimes rent. Depends who just bought what lol. Gas $700 round trip, a bit less this year. We usually have 2-3 in the truck and for the most part go straight thru 28-30 hours. If time is an issue, as others said fly and rent a truck as you're adding another 4 days on the trip if driving.

We camp on the grounds we are hunting. Enjoy the camp, less time driving, and saves money. For showers we originally used solar shower (worked fine when sun was out). Upgraded to small propane set up that heats water. As far as meals we make them, vacuum seal them , freeze and boil in water when we get back. Nice to come back and just warm food up. Just do it, you won't regret it.

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
Been hunting Idaho and Colorado for years. All DIY hunts.
All in, tags, fuel, hotel while traveling with cost split between 2 guys is around $1200 from mid-Michigan.

I'm retired and like to take lots of gear and camp so I drive. This year I have a younger working hunting partner so the plan is for me to drive (I would anyway), carry most of his gear and pick him up at the nearest Airport to the hunt location. I would get there a few days earlier as it will help me acclimate, scout and set up a base camp. If I get real lucky and get a Elk before he gets there I would take care of that and assist him with his hunt where I can. I'll be mostly camping and if alone I probably won't see a motel. I have a little propane water heater and shower set up so I can take a very quick warm shower at base camp when needed. I'm also prepared to set up a backpack camp if needed. I stop and sleep a few hours at rest stops along the way. Usually about 3 hours sleep and I'm back on the road. I mainly stop at truck stops for fuel and eat at the same time. They generally have the best prices for gas as well. I try to only stop where the station is right off the roadway and avoid stopping in big cities. I'm not a clean freak but with the virus going on I'll probably bring some sanitizer along and clean my hands after every stop and before eating. I don't try to even estimate the cost. If I did I might consider not driving west to hunt and I gotta hunt Elk as long as I can. My hunts are always DIY and it seems like nearly every single Item I need costs at least 100 dollars but most cost's more. You can buy enough to survive or spend a little more and be a little more comfortable. Every year I think I have most everything I need but I end up finding new stuff to buy for every upcoming hunt.

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be honest I purposefully didn’t add it up. I knew what I spent on gear and tags and left it at that. I went solo and drove from VA to Colorado. I packed some food for the drive just out of convenience. As far as gas and hotels I figured this was a vacation and I’ll spend what I spend. I was able to find hotels along the drive there and back for $60-$80 a night which after a day of driving 18 hours I was glad to pay.

My advice, think about how much you are willing to spend on a vacation and just stay as close to it as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
2019 from FL
Rental truck 500
Gas 500
Wall tent 200
Sleeping bag 100
Tag 400, app 100
Food and stuff 500

About 2300 to drive out and camp.

bozeman

WKR
From Bama solo- I have about $1,250 in a hunt in CO, which includes tags.........been twice, looking forward to the third trip!

best of luck and if driving- Please pull over if you feel tired: amazing what a one hour nap will do for you.

From Bama solo- I have about $1,250 in a hunt in CO, which includes tags.........been twice, looking forward to the third trip!

best of luck and if driving- Please pull over if you feel tired: amazing what a one hour nap will do for you.

AS to the nap, very true. Sometimes I nap an hour and sometimes up to 3 hours. Sometimes I can drive 18 hours before a rest but other times it can be much less. Either way if I find myself falling asleep I do two things. I start looking for a rest stop and I start doing what I have found in the past to keep me awake till I find a stop. I usually carry a cooler and I'll actually put a little icewater on my head in in my hair. Maybe open a window or play some rock on the radio as well. Whatever it takes. I'm not into energy drinks but I've found in the past that sipping on a Mountain Dew seems to help and if it causes me to have to take a bathroom break that also helps to wake me up though is only temporary.