Outdoor Research

Anyone have any opinions on Outdoor Research’s clothing lines? I have almost exclusively used First Lite because I believe in what they stand for but I’m looking into using some pieces from OR so I can use them during other parts of the year. Thanks for any information.

I've used some gloves from them back many years ago. They were pretty decent until it got really cold. Lots of guys up here seem to like OR, and from what I've seen even more of ladies. Seemed like their sizes run slightly smaller/athletic.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

LandYacht

WKR
I look like an OR catalog threw up on me most days. Their gear is top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I own 6 or 7 pieces not including gloves or mittens. I’m a huge fan. My intention originally was the same as yours of having multipurpose gear. I started wearing their wadi rum pants lately and wear them almost daily.

Trr15

WKR
Yep. Seems unanimous so far, and I'll pile on. I have a few pieces of OR gear and its all good stuff. Its not as athletic fitting as I would've expected though. I have two of their jackets (one puffy and one shell) and found the cut to be a little generous in the waist and snug in the chest. Nothing major though and certainly nothing that would turn me away from future purchases. Just something I noticed.

Poser

WKR
High quality gear. I have some pieces, including a bivy sack, that are 20 years old and still get some use, though those piece are close to the end of their functionality.

davescarp

WKR
Like lots of their stuff, but they are getting a pretty heavy dose of hipster influence. Unconditional lifetime warranty is outstanding too. Ferossi softshell jacket and pants .

thebest3

Lil-Rokslider
My go to from everyday wear to hunting. As for size I wear all medium for outdoor research top and 32 pant. Sitka I have to get large top and 34 pant. Older OR paint have issue with back pocket stitch coming off . The new pant look improve ,but I'm sure they take care if I contact them. They carry most item I need from early to late season . But I still go with ice breaker or other merino wool for base layer since they don't have 100 % base layer yet.

ljalberta

WKR
One of my favourites. Killer warranty as well! I have used rain gear/pants/base layers/gloves/hats/dry bags and other gear from them. I have not used their cold weather gear at all, but some of their gloves are popular for Everest climbs, so they can't be too shabby. Their performance trucker hat is probably my favourite hat of all time.

Downside if i had to name a few would be I put holes in their ultralight dry bags (they really are ultralight and not meant for abuse). So even though I was not using them as they were intended to be used, they offered me replacement bags or put that value towards other pieces of their gear. Additionally, I love the ferrosi pants as an early season option, but they do pill pretty badly and stretch out over time. I also think their verglas gaiters are pretty poorly designed - but their croc gaiters are some of the best.

ZachB

Lil-Rokslider
All of my favorite gloves are OR. I've always been skeptical of soft-shells but I received the ferrosi jacket from my girlfriend over the holidays and it's great.

Benjblt

WKR
It's great stuff. The fit isnt as ridiculously "athletic" fitting as some of Kuius and Sitkas fit but I wouldn't call it generous.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

goosedog

FNG
I have used OR for years in the northwest and cant say enough about the foray jacket line,their softshell gloves and the croc gaters and If you get cold hands the Alti mittens are as good as it gets

I love OR gear. I wear it all the time, both hunting and casual. Great gear for a lot less money than the hunting brands.

The voodoo pants would be comparable to the FL guide pants.

Hondo

WKR
I have used their quality gear for year but until a year ago the only clothing items I have used are hats, gaiters and gloves. Last year I got an OR Neoplume Jacket for camp in Wyoming and found it more rugged than any other Primaloft jacket I have owned. I'd like to try their pants next, maybe the Voodoo.

Clarktar

WKR
I have owned the ferossi jacket for two years now. Mainly used it as office attire as I am required to dress up (yes, that's dressing up for me).

I brought it with me to Arizona for the rut archery hunt. I have been really impressed with it cutting wind. I have been wearing it everyday. In the morning it is layered over Alpine climbing style puffy. During the day I have it over a base layer. Cuts wind, keeps sun off. Isn't warm (preferred during Arizona days right now).

It will transition from office to hunting gear now.

I also have one of their active insulation jackets. Forget the name, but it is nearly identical to the Sitka Active jacket (material wise). Haven't used it much for hunting yet though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a couple of their active layers that really work well; a pile of their hats/gloves/mitts

As a couple of folks have pointed out-maybe the best warranty in the country; a buddy had some delamination on a very old pair of high gaiters- they replaced them with brand new Crocs