Ozark trail wall tents? (Update with review!)

Anyone try these? Was about to pull the trigger on a Davis 14x15, but just noticed Walmart is selling their Ozark trail 10x20 for on sale for $450 bucks.

I will concede the Davis is American made, and I’m sure higher quality, but the reviews on these are pretty damn promising, and well over $1000 in savings during record inflation, application season coming up, etc is nothing to scoff at.

I was all ready to drop $2500 with Davis for one of their combos, but I am really tempted this might be the better way to dip my toes in the wall tent game. If I don’t like it or it sucks, I’m not out much.

OP
B
I’ll add this, I’m mostly a backpack hunter, so my wall tent will likely be “backup” for R&R near the truck most of the time. We will set it up when we get there and be able to retreat to it when and if needed…

I can say for certain I’ll worry less about leaving a $450 Ozark trail tent set up while I’m up on the mountain than a $1500 Davis. If bears or two legged critters get into it I’m not out much.

My dad and I just purchased one of these this year and took it on a week long archery hunt in Colorado. The tent did just fine in fair weather, but I will say the frame is pretty light duty. If hunting late season and very much snow is suspected, I would consider extra bracing to add to the current frame, or you could always make or buy a sturdier frame.(Although, buying another tent may be more cost efficient at that point) We added a rain fly with a 8’ over hang for a “porch” area. We made a frame from 1” pipe. We were very pleased with this tent for the money.

OP
B
My dad and I just purchased one of these this year and took it on a week long archery hunt in Colorado. The tent did just fine in fair weather, but I will say the frame is pretty light duty. If hunting late season and very much snow is suspected, I would consider extra bracing to add to the current frame, or you could always make or buy a sturdier frame.(Although, buying another tent may be more cost efficient at that point) We added a rain fly with a 8’ over hang for a “porch” area. We made a frame from 1” pipe. We were very pleased with this tent for the money.
Yeah based off the videos the frame seemed a bit flimsy, but I guess there is no reason you could buy beefier angle irons and 1” EMT and build your own frame?

NB7

WKR
If your intention is just to have the "backup for r&r near the truck", I'd split the difference and go with a Kodiak Canvas 10x14 flexbow. It'll cost you just a little more than the walmart tent, although you wont get quite 10x20 or the 14x15 on the Davis. You won't be sorry on the Kodiak quality. Plus factor in the extra cost of beefing up your own frame and it wouldn't be much more anyway. Also, you can set a kodiak flexbow up in less than 15 minutes by yourself, not sure how long to set up a walmart 10x20 but probably a lot longer.
Last place I'd want to find out/confirm the walmart quality isn't as good would be under a snow load in the mountains while I'm on a trip west.

Last edited:
Yeah based off the videos the frame seemed a bit flimsy, but I guess there is no reason you could buy beefier angle irons and 1” EMT and build your own frame?
Yeah, you definitely could. There are several companies that sell kits to build your own frame.

OP
B
Well I just said “**** it” and busted out the credit card. We get plenty of snow/weather here in Ohio and I can leave it up before the next storm and see how it does before taking it on a hunting trip. If it sucks I can try and return it or at worst sell it for a loss.

If I primarily hunting from the truck I’d for sure spring for the Davis, but given our hunting style it’s really tough to justify a $2500 setup when I can probably get ~80% of the performance for a $1000 setup. I’ve already got a SO 8 man and Cimmeron, so if for whatever reason this fails we’re not stuck out in the weather, just back to wear we were in years past.

I’ll be sure to keep this thread updated as a long term review.

OP
B
4E22B63C-44D1-4732-9570-D0B358C09175.jpeg
Got my tent today, here is how it came out of the two packages.

Took me about an hr to set up first time in the garage. Wanted to keep it relatively clean in case I wasn’t pleased with it. That said this this is pretty legit… Exactly what I needed. See pics below.
DAB46174-D0D0-4B18-BBEA-F26F5389DD0D.jpeg
1F4A62BF-99BC-4562-A04D-589EAF142730.jpeg
6DE98F4B-4741-44A9-B0BA-2057CF7092CB.jpeg
For the price of $450 ($480 and change with tax) this thing is an absolute steal considering the features an extras it comes with (complete frame, floor with stove zipper cut, wall organizers, plenty of windows for ventilation, etc.) I love the fact you can open the stove fly from the side with pulleys which is absolutely genius.

Fabric seemed quality despite being polyester canvas rather than cotton, as well as stitching. The seams were sealed on the inside which was a pleasant surprise. I really can’t say how pleased I am with this thing.

My only two concerns are the frame durability and the fact the material is polyester canvas instead of cotton canvas.

The frame is easily to pack and assemble, but it’s lightweight compared to a traditional wall tent frame, made out of approx 3/4” metal. One of the angle brackets came slightly bent and with the poles inserted I was able to bend it back into shape… I may build my own frame for this thing before next season. I just don’t trust it. That said even if I did have to build my own frame, this thing is still a hell of a deal IMO.

As for the material, we’ll have to wait and see how the condensation is. Even if it lacks the breathability of traditional cotton, it has plenty of screened windows as well as a ridge vent to mitigate condensation if need be. Additionally the screened windows are smartly designed, with the ability for the covers to be staked out at an angle to allow ventilation while still protecting against rain and snow.

Overall, I’d give this thing an A+ for value. It’s no Davis or Montana canvas, but I don’t think that’s really what I need. This will probably get used at most two weeks a year between elk camp and family camping. If I was an outfitter, I’d probably want a Davis. But for a middle class DIY dude who elk hunts once a year and needs a spacious hot tent at the truck that 3-4 dudes can rack out in to rest up after a couple of days of backpack hunting, it’s perfect.

Again I’ll keep this thread updated, and plan on putting thing thing out in the yard the next time a big winter weather event happens. We’ll see how it holds up!

I just received my Ozark trail 10x12 from Walmart $265 to my door. I haven't even unboxed yet. I have the Kodiak 10x10 wall tent and absolutely love it!! This tent will be setup at my house and be utilized as a man cave. I have electric close by so she will have alll the amenities. The big Spruce stove I have will be the heat source and am currently cutting up a fallen hickory tree for some hot burning wood. Im gitty about getting her setup.

View attachment 486258
Got my tent today, here is how it came out of the two packages.

Took me about an hr to set up first time in the garage. Wanted to keep it relatively clean in case I wasn’t pleased with it. That said this this is pretty legit… Exactly what I needed. See pics below.
View attachment 486259
View attachment 486256
View attachment 486257
For the price of $450 ($480 and change with tax) this thing is an absolute steal considering the features an extras it comes with (complete frame, floor with stove zipper cut, wall organizers, plenty of windows for ventilation, etc.) I love the fact you can open the stove fly from the side with pulleys which is absolutely genius.

Fabric seemed quality despite being polyester canvas rather than cotton, as well as stitching. The seams were sealed on the inside which was a pleasant surprise. I really can’t say how pleased I am with this thing.

My only two concerns are the frame durability and the fact the material is polyester canvas instead of cotton canvas.

The frame is easily to pack and assemble, but it’s lightweight compared to a traditional wall tent frame, made out of approx 3/4” metal. One of the angle brackets came slightly bent and with the poles inserted I was able to bend it back into shape… I may build my own frame for this thing before next season. I just don’t trust it. That said even if I did have to build my own frame, this thing is still a hell of a deal IMO.

As for the material, we’ll have to wait and see how the condensation is. Even if it lacks the breathability of traditional cotton, it has plenty of screened windows as well as a ridge vent to mitigate condensation if need be. Additionally the screened windows are smartly designed, with the ability for the covers to be staked out at an angle to allow ventilation while still protecting against rain and snow.

Overall, I’d give this thing an A+ for value. It’s no Davis or Montana canvas, but I don’t think that’s really what I need. This will probably get used at most two weeks a year between elk camp and family camping. If I was an outfitter, I’d probably want a Davis. But for a middle class DIY dude who elk hunts once a year and needs a spacious hot tent at the truck that 3-4 dudes can rack out in to rest up after a couple of days of backpack hunting, it’s perfect.

Again I’ll keep this thread updated, and plan on putting thing thing out in the yard the next time a big winter weather event happens. We’ll see how it holds up!
Looks like full length floor with stove in the middle...I probably wouldn't use the floor if your planning on using the stove.

Why not?

I use outdoor carpet in my Davis tent with a wood stove

View attachment 487460
With a Davis it's in the front corner...so the mess is kept in the front of the tent...feeding a wood stove in the middle of a tent there will be constant mess to deal with...especially if the tent is full of dudes and you have store wood outside. Not even gonna bring up ash removal. Easier to skip the floor. On the rare occasion I use the floor it 3 quarters floor.

OP
B
Looks like full length floor with stove in the middle...I probably wouldn't use the floor if your planning on using the stove.
Definitely a downside of tracking in dirt/mud. That said given the dimensions I like the stove location. If it was at one end the guy all the way at the other end would probably be really cold, even with a fan.

All that said I think a floor is a nice option to have. If it has snowed prior to you showing up, dealing with melting snow/mud inside the tent and the associated condensation issues are a pain. Coming from the world of SO tipis I’m very familiar that. But I agree if you are starting out on dry ground a floor is often more trouble than it’s worth.

I ordered a wilderness 4 from the wall tent shop which should be here by Friday.

We’ve got a big cold snap with some snow coming next week, probably going to set this think up in the yard and test it out before it hits.

Jfish

FNG
Looking at the Ozark also. Own a Davis for the big mts trips but need something for our weekend trip during bow season. No doubt it doesn’t appear to be a Davis but it’s a third the money. Kinda thinking if we only get a few yrs out of it no big deal. Keep us posted on your experience with it always interested in what other run into.

OP
B
4F69F42C-84B6-4816-A79B-D619C35D2052.jpeg
Bought a wilderness 4 stove from the wall tent shop and set it up in the yard. Planning on leaving it up for this big winter storm that’s going to roll through later in the week.

If it’s going to fail, I want to find out now rather than next fall. We’ll see how it holds up! Supposed to get 50 mph gusts, snow, ice, and temps down to around 0 F. I probably won’t see those kind of winds due to being back in the woods, but it will still be a good test! If it handles this, I think it will handle anything I’ll experience next October barring some extreme weather event.

TSAMP

WKR
View attachment 490327
Bought a wilderness 4 stove from the wall tent shop and set it up in the yard. Planning on leaving it up for this big winter storm that’s going to roll through later in the week.

If it’s going to fail, I want to find out now rather than next fall. We’ll see how it holds up! Supposed to get 50 mph gusts, snow, ice, and temps down to around 0 F. I probably won’t see those kind of winds due to being back in the woods, but it will still be a good test! If it handles this, I think it will handle anything I’ll experience next October barring some extreme weather event.
Your going to stay out in it during this storm too, right?

OP
B
Your going to stay out in it during this storm too, right?
As long as the wind isn’t too bad I will. That’s more for safety as I’ve got some really tall trees around my house and I don’t want to be in the tent if one of them decides to go. But I’ll probably spend a few nights in there barring that.

I’m actually looking forward to seeing how the stove keeps up with 0 degree temps.

Jfish

FNG
As long as the wind isn’t too bad I will. That’s more for safety as I’ve got some really tall trees around my house and I don’t want to be in the tent if one of them decides to go. But I’ll probably spend a few nights in there barring that.

I’m actually looking forward to seeing how the stove keeps up with 0 degree temps.
What part of the country you in? Will watch storm. Interested how tent hold up with snow? Probably going to order one tonight for next yr. Already thinking about additional support for snow. Will be leaving it up all season but live three hours away. Thinking once cold weather hits we will install four additional cross supports for roof. If big snow hit we can’t get there so we will leave it prepared as best as we can. Have a few ideas for easy roof supports if intersted.

WKR
I checked those Wilderness 4 stoves. Look like $460. Made in Pakistan. If you don't like that one, some darn good American made stoves that size starting around $490. Colorado Cylinder makes them here in CO. I bought a Cylinder Stove brand years ago for about the same. Actually a number of quality wood burners made here.

Hope your's stands up to the wind. We do see 50 mph out here quite a bit where we hunt so would expect it to hold up if staked well. My Davis has survived some tough stuff over the years. Keep us posted!

What part of the country you in? Will watch storm. Interested how tent hold up with snow? Probably going to order one tonight for next yr. Already thinking about additional support for snow. Will be leaving it up all season but live three hours away. Thinking once cold weather hits we will install four additional cross supports for roof. If big snow hit we can’t get there so we will leave it prepared as best as we can. Have a few ideas for easy roof supports if intersted.

Going off his handle, I'm going to guess Ohio.

You can click on his username, and it says Ohio too.

Possibly you are asking where in Ohio?