Pack additions

This is probably my favorite BP addition. I have lids, hip belt pockets, and a Kifaru gun bearer that all come in really handy, but the DCF shoulder pocket definitely gets accessed more than anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
caseybratten
This is probably my favorite BP addition. I have lids, hip belt pockets, and a Kifaru gun bearer that all come in really handy, but the DCF shoulder pocket definitely gets accessed more than anything else.

I'm going the opposite direction that I see a lot of people headed in by trying to keep my bino harness as streamlined as possible, I don't want a bunch of stuff hanging off my chest so this shoulder pocket seems like a good look for keeping a few extras handy. Does it mount relatively securely or does it bounce as you move?

It has two attachment points on the top and bottom and I've never noticed mine bouncing around at all. I suppose if you were running it might a little, but definitely not with normal hiking around.

TaperPin

WKR
I like to put a lashing strap or pocket anywhere it makes life easier - a place for everything and everything in it’s place. I’ve spent most of my life with a carpenter’s tool belt and it’s a similar concept. Not only to keep frequently used items handy, but to reduce clutter by squirling away seldom used items so they aren’t always in the way.

A simple 1” flat webbing strap and ladder lock can make life easier if every time you get or put something onto or into the pack it seems it would be nice to have it held a certain way or in a certain spot. A super simple open top pocket inside a pack can be ideal for holding a number of things that don’t seem to fit anywhere. If there is a zippered pouch that would be nice to have on the outside I wouldn’t hesitate to sew it on.

I’ve gone through phases of more or less things on the outside of a pack. The things that have to be there get more written in stone as the years go by. A way of storing hiking poles that is easy to access without getting into the pack - I like two dedicated lashing straps with quick release buckles. Bear spray is always on the left side of the belt and one water bottle pouch is right behind it. A flap with buckles on the back of the pack is easy and simple short term storage to put a jacket, waterproof shell, etc. that will get swapped on and off throughout the day.

Making custom loose bags for organizing inside the pack, preferably color coded, is probably just as important. Often an existing bag can simply be cinched down eliminating extra space by ripping seams for the bottom and resewing, or put a more restrictive seam in and cutting off the old seam. Oversized bags, or bags you end up using for different types of content just to fill the bag volume waste time every day. Rain pants are tightly stuffed in a custom bag. Field dressing stuff and meat bags is in a fitted bag. Rarely used survival stuff is all in one bag. Stove and cooking stuff is in a custom bag. Custom food bag to fit the pack better. Etc.

Almost every person I’ve known who complains about a sleeping bag, or food bag, or whatever being too squishy to lash down correctly, would benefit from a number of compression straps sewing onto the stuff sack that squeeze it down into a less squishy item.

A dude and sewing machine can waste a lot of time. Lol

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
I have two hip belt pockets added. That seems to give me enough space to keep my necessities close. Everything else goes in my backpack and is packed in order of accessibility.

I have a lid, but only plan on adding it if I need the extra 500ci of space.

OP
caseybratten
That's secure enough for me. If I'm running on a mountain bouncing isn't high on my concerns list.

And I've gone down the sewing machine and gear modification rabbit hole on youtube, but as of yet I haven't convinced myself to pull the trigger so I'm safe on that regard.

MTHokie

Lil-Rokslider

Genius!

MTHokie

Lil-Rokslider
A hip belt pocket on each side. Until this year I used a pack with them built-in. Ran a frankenpack this year without them--it was awful. I won't use a pack without hip belt pouches ever again. My pants pockets were full of junk all day! I also use a $10 Amazonian Chinese crap molle-strap water bottle holder that is a universal mount. It has a substantial outside zipper pocket-works well for what it is.

No lid. No extra pockets. Kifaru and other pack makers been offering you options with pockets for easy access. It never made sense to me to use a pocket on the belt or a lid. I tried doing both but, it offered me nothing but more $ I had to spend.

fishslap

WKR
I always have one of these on my pack to put my sunglasses in before sunup, when it’s cloudy, or extended glassing

I use a small and medium hip belt pocket on my kifaru but I’ll use the large to hold my wiggy’s waders if there are stream crossings or to put turkey calls in. I like the medium pocket for my muzzleloader reload materials.

I use the kifaru grabbit for various scenarios but not normal hiking. Same with the lid.

Smitty15

FNG
EXO K4:
- Nalgene holder
- Hipbelt pouch (for on the go snacks)
- Ivory EMG Holster (S&W 10mm)

fatlander

WKR
Hip belt pouches (headlamp, phone, gloves, beanie, snacks), Nalgene holster, and a lid (food, battery bank, water filter, and mid layer)

Never need to access the main bag during the day.

I just have a couple of water bottle pockets. I use 20oz bottles so they aren’t in my way. I put my rear bag around the top of my frame. Other than that, everything else is in my bag.